'04 Era 2600+ Barton Rig. Later Updated to 120mm and Si-97.

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

DrCR

'04 Era 2600+ Barton Rig. Later Updated to 120mm and Si-97.

Post by DrCR » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:38 pm

Post needs to be tweaked, but this should do the trick for now. 7/29/08. Concised down a little more: 7-30-08, 7-31-08

Well, here's all the photos I took way back when for this rig. Just now getting around to posting them lol. :lol:

Certainly not astounding by todays standards, nor nearly as quiet in its current form (it needs a fans upgrade) as the server and desktop I built in the last month and three months respectively, but I'm still proud of her final design.

Original 80mm Setup:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Modding in 120mm Fans Later On:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Original CPU HSF Setup. As you can see a tab broke on the socket, so it was a good time to upgrade to the Thermalright Si-97.
Image Image Image Image Image

Si-97 Setup in a draw up configuration, deflected to exhaust:

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Hard Drive Setup. Original idea. I implemented this idea again in my A64 3500+ computer [note to self, add pic], back when that was the latest gen hardware.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Final Resultant After New Si-97 Installation and 120mm Mod:

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

The machine is coming back in the fold after serving faithfully at another local. And now that I've gotten around to posting these pics, I'm planning a fan replacement to Scythes and a PSU replacement. I guess the variableness of this all is why I always take documentary photos while knowing full well I probably won't ever get around to posting them. :lol:

Feel free to 'steal' any ideas, and I'd love to hear it if you do! Credit to the SPCR community to the brilliance of zipties, and BlueFront iirc for mentioning the MadDogs which were one of the few available YLs of that era.

DrCR

p.s. For the recored, these old steel cases are tough! For you newbies out there, nowadays just go ahead and spend the money on a Mike Chin influenced Antec case and just tweak that a bit if need be -- it's a lot easier.
Last edited by DrCR on Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:43 pm, edited 10 times in total.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:04 am

I love it ^^

I really like how you put the exhaust fan outside the case ^^

Very clean and nice build. Only thing that is not so good is the color of the case, lol but you cannot argue with such things really. Very creative build using older parts. Very well done mods.

DrCR

Post by DrCR » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:16 pm

Thanks. :) Actually kind of weird getting any recognition beyond my friends and peers I know in person. Usually posting advice or questions rather than implementations.

The external fan thing I believe was an idea I gleaned from the ProCooling forums, back when that was one of the places for watercooling and other more extreme computer hardware geekery. I've have the impression XtremeSystems.org is now the place for this sort of thing. I'm a little out of the "loop" on this front nowadays though (pun intended). Thermalright and the Accelero S1 make going non-air a less attractive proposition nowadays, at the expense of a little less fun though. I'm still keen on blowing the dust off the Iwaki MD-20Z in the closet somewhere one of these days and going with a geothermal WCed setup. :twisted:

DrCR

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Post by frenchie » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:24 pm

Quite a nice build, a lot of interesting things you did in there... quite interesting !!

mkk

Post by mkk » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:35 am

Nice descriptive pictures. Makes me want to make something with foam and cardboard. :)

AMDforlife

Post by AMDforlife » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:07 pm

Good effort overall. Good call on the TR Si-97, I got one of those for $15 cdn a few months back.

Im curious, are you undervolting any of those fans? I'm pretty sure I have that exact same 92mm zalman fan and 80mm Antec fan. At full speeds, those fans are like "drill - loud".

There is no way foam can silence that zalman if its running full speed (2500rpm I believe). Then add the Antec, oh boy...

I think that case has suffered enough, don't you?! She sure is a beauty...

Oh and the CPU fan should always push air through the heatsink, not trying pulling it off.

Can u list the system specs and possibly temps? Thanks.

DrCR

Post by DrCR » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:02 am

Yes the Si97 is one of the best SocketA air cooling options. Good call on you picking one up at such a nice price. I would have to imagine TTake (yawn) BigTyp would win the crown nowadays though.

Yup, 2500rpm does indeed tend to be loud. This is SPCR you know. ;) All are @ <= 5v for daily use, but I still think they are loud, hence my pending fan update now that it's back in my fold. I reported my disappointment on the MagDogs back in the day, but there weren't too many options back then, and I didn't feel like spending money on Nexuses, same with the 92mm. Oh, and that Antec undervolted to surprisingly nice noise levels for that era. It's overkill for the stock passive card, but I wanted to extra sure the end-user at that time would not have any temp issues.

The case isn't meant to be a looker, though the internals are gorgeously tidy imho. It's meant to have substance. I still have a couple of these cases on hand, but I'm nowadays taking the lazy but easy approach of buying awesome modern-day options like the Solo and P180 series -- which looks like a refrigerator to me, but has it where [strike]it counts[/strike] I care. I still mod the P180s and Solos a good bit, but not with the same difficulty as this legacy rig. They're simply an easier foundation to work from and superior in many respects.

CPU fans should not always push air.

I recall the CPU temp of that time in the 90s and only just creeping into 100F depending on ambient under CPUBurn load. Awfully low temps. I think I have screenshots stored away in my notes, but I frankly won't bother to pull them out (unless Ralf wants to see them, and then just maybe loi). That Barton-core era was a great one. I forget the vcore I used for daily use, but I know I played with for sure as I OCed the 2600+ to 2.4GHz when I had leave to game on it (cranked the CPU fans up for that, hence the use of a the pictured variable resistor FanMate). Mobo is the venerable A7N8X. Ah, good times, good memories.

DrCR

colm

Post by colm » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:49 am

great hack. As for older steel, I would recommend no older than the SECC type stuff. Stainless and other scenarios (pre 1998-97?)that even rust are not good on todays tiny tiny micron, even the paint today saves power . antec seems to know these things, mike chin influenced or not :)
the secc metal for the pc is not all that old, but I am guessing it was 1997 for 98 sales that it started taking over. You can find the "china specials" with no discipline today on the web, be careful. not coincidentally. the secc type stuff can be found on CB radios and other places pre 1997. As most know the pc is the most hated thing to evolve and evolve at the same time for any invention...the stupid things continue.

AMDforlife

Post by AMDforlife » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:42 pm

Thanks for the extra info.

I'm glad to hear you are undervolting your fans. haha noticed the pun after I wrote that.

Indeed, older steel is very hard to "dremel- away."

The wiring is much better after the second revisions were done to the case. Good job there.

I don't mind the video card cooling setup, it doesn't look half bad. :)