Scythe Gentle Typhoon - 120mm - pics and impressions

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

zgundam

Scythe Gentle Typhoon - 120mm - pics and impressions

Post by zgundam » Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:27 pm

Ok, I was aware that someone else had posted about these fans about a month or two ago, and while these fans were launch in approx May 2008, they're still not avaliable in retail channels outside of Japan yet.

Here are the 120mm fan specs again (google translated to English)

The design and features of the fan really intrigued me so I decided to see if I could get my hands on one, even though I wasn't in Japan. After some digging around, I managed to find a Japanese website (Tsukumo Electronics) that was willing to have them shipped overseas so I went and picked up the 120mm 1450rpm and 1850rpm versions.

After waiting just over two weeks they finally arrived today!

First impressions of the fans: build quality seems excellent, the fan is very heavy - as weighty as the EbmPapst 4412's. Fan hub is like twice is size of the Slip Streams. They're also Made In Indonesia this time as opposed to Made In China like all the other Scythe fans I've received. Packaging already has english and fan specs in several languages, so I assume Scythe will probably distribute these globally sooner or later.

Will post up some subjective noise and airflow test results after I get home from work :) In the meantime, here's some quick snaps from my phone...

Mats

Post by Mats » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:51 am

zgundam

Post by zgundam » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:32 am

Update: Done some quick tests of the fans. I don't have any expensive airflow or sound-measuring equipment, so my opinions will be somewhat subjective.

Both 1450rpm and 1850rpm fans were tested at 12v and 7v (using this kind of fan adapter), with a Corsair HX620 supplying power only to one fan at a time and nothing else. Room was completely quiet (no car noise, etc). Tests were performed in open air with no obstructions within 30cm behind or in front of the fans, in vertical position. Two distances used to measure fan - about 10cm and approx 50cm from my ear to fan hub. I did a quick comparison between these fans and a 1200rpm SlipStream and a EbmPapst 4412 FGMLL.

The 1450rpm was surprisingly quiet (but not silent) at 12v. While at 7v it wasn't completely silent, giving a very low continuous hum, noise character it's probably comparable to the 1200rpm SlipStream at 7v. Airflow could probably be compared against a EbmPapst 4412 FGMLL @ 7v.

The 1850rpm Gentle Typhoon was noticeably louder than the 1450rpm version at both 12v and 7v, but not annoying. Airflow felt comparable to a 1200rpm SlipStream.

Both fans have very unique noise signatures (really don't know how to describe, sorry) which I haven't heard from other fans so far, but it's definitely very easy on the ears.

To summarise, the Scythe Gentle Typhoon seems to be a serious competitor for (at least) the 1200rpm Slip Stream. It's got a high MTBF, costs the same as a Slip Stream (at least in Japan anyways) and, from initial impressions, very quiet with good noise character. I just wish Scythe would start distributing these worldwide asap so I can get them cheaper!

Will see if I can get some audio samples done (assuming my mobiles' crappy mic is up to it), but I'd be happy to submit both samples to SPCR for proper testing (as long as I get them back in one piece. and working of course. :P) if they're interested?

vick1000

Post by vick1000 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:16 pm

Gentle Typhoon?

Japanese marketing never ceases to amaze me in it's comical phrasing. What's next? The Benevolant Valcano?

FuturePastNow

Post by FuturePastNow » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:00 pm

Looks good. I'll keep an eye out for them in American retailers.

derekva

Post by derekva » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:22 pm

Coolerguys just got a shipment of these in (I just picked one up this afternoon). The sound of the 1450RPM model is very pleasing to the ears (albeit not completely silent). I'm going to drop it in my WHS system (because of the high MTBF of the dual ball bearing) at 12V.

-D

DrCR

Post by DrCR » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:36 pm

Anyone else tried these? I'm curious if the lower rpm model, 800rpm, is awesome, or if it has issues like S-Flex and the higher rpm models like the 1150rpm or 1450rpm models, undervolted, are the route to go and how they compare.

Currently happy with my setup, but noticed these guys on jab-tech today when looking up fans for a friend.

DrCR

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:23 am

DrCR wrote:Anyone else tried these? I'm curious if the lower rpm model, 800rpm, is awesome, or if it has issues like S-Flex and the higher rpm models like the 1150rpm or 1450rpm models, undervolted, are the route to go and how they compare.

Currently happy with my setup, but noticed these guys on jab-tech today when looking up fans for a friend.

DrCR
viewtopic.php?t=54804
Read in here bit my thoughts.

DrCR

Post by DrCR » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:41 am

Thanks. Not sure how I missed that one in the search.

Continuing discussion in above linked thread.