Using a remote to control my computers media playback

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

klankymen
Patron of SPCR

Using a remote to control my computers media playback

Post by klankymen » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:01 am

Hey. I've been thinking lately.... would it be possible for me to use the remote from my Receiver (as in amplifier) to control the media playback on my computer?

You can program the remote using 5 digit number codes in order to control other devices, I'm currently using it to control the TV and VCR as well, depending on which button I push.

I was wondering if there's some sort of IR receiver I can buy so that it will controll my computer as well.

I googled a bit, and found this, which I am bearing in mind, but tbh I'm too lazy to build stuff, considering I have trouble enough making software work, I don't even want to consider how much could go wrong if I'm building my own hardware.

But is there any sort of receiver I can buy. Well, from searching newegg, I know there are receiver/remote combos (like this one), but if I were to buy one, I'd ditch the remote, and want to use my existing remote.... will this work with any receiver?

In addition, I'm looking for a receiver that doesn't take a drive bay, seeing as I have none. So something that will plug into the back of the computer.

As a matter of fact, I have an old TV card, which had a 3.5mm jack in it, to which I could plug a little cable with a IR receiver on the end. It came with a remote, but that only controlled the TV tuner software.

Is there anyway for me to hack the TV card into receiving signals from my universal remote, and using them to control playback in foobar/winamp/VLC.

Hoping someone knows about the topic, Thanks in advance.

sjoukew

Post by sjoukew » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:24 am

A long, long time ago I used Girder from proximis to control my windows with a remote control from an old tv-card, which did only work on the card's software itself.

By using this software I could completely specify which buttons should activate which commands. Maybe you can get some inspiration there.

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:24 am

The easiest way to go is to use an MCE Remote/Receiver combo. It depends on your amp remote if you'll be able to use it the way you want. It needs to be able to learn IR commands that the receiver will recognize. However, the MCE remote works off the bat with standard MCE and WMP commands, however, you can use software like Girder and other to change what each button/command does.

I have a case (OrigenAE X11) with a built-in VFD/IR Receiver (made by IRTrans). It came with the standard MCE remote, but I use my Harmony 520 instead since it can do everything the MCE remote can do and more.

floffe

Post by floffe » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:10 pm

This'd be pretty easy in Linux, just set up LIRC (the program that receives IR stuff) to associate the buttons with the proper commands. Sounds like Girder would do something similar, and you could perhaps even try it with your old tv card IR receiver before buying anything new.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:18 pm

I use a similar model to the one linked below, which has an excelent usable range of 8-ish feet (2.5M).

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/keybo ... 8&cl=gb,en

I tried a CNN package and its range was useless, I then tried a £30 MS package, and it was the worst mouse I have ever used, it was flaky within inches - needless to say that went back.

I settled on a K/B and Mouse bundle simply because I use my living room PC as a PC that I use to watch movies on, so I really needed the full functionality. Mixed with the usability that comes as standard with "Media Player Classic" I only use the mouse when opening and watching movies, its not quite as convenient as a remote would be - but its damned close, or maybe even better as you can grab the scroll bar for the film and within seconds continue playing it from where you left it the day before.

Andy

jessekopelman

Re: Using a remote to control my computers media playback

Post by jessekopelman » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:43 pm

klankymen wrote: I was wondering if there's some sort of IR receiver I can buy so that it will controll my computer as well.
Sure. A good one for Windows is the Antec Multi-Station stuff. There are several different models that give you options for mounting and whether or not you want a VFD. The real question is whether your existing receiver remote have any learning capability? If so, get a PC IR receiver/remote combo and just using the learning feature to copy the new remote's buttons onto your old remote. If it doesn't have the learning functions, you will need to get a learning universal remote in addition to the IR/remote package. Expect to pay at least $100 for a decent learning universal remote (there are cheaper ones, but they are cheaper for good reason).

klankymen
Patron of SPCR

Post by klankymen » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:16 pm

floffe wrote:This'd be pretty easy in Linux, just set up LIRC (the program that receives IR stuff) to associate the buttons with the proper commands. Sounds like Girder would do something similar, and you could perhaps even try it with your old tv card IR receiver before buying anything new.
OK, I'll test the OLD card out, assuming I even have a free PCI slot, it's kinda hard to access my computer at the moment.....

Will look, when I can be arsed ;)
andyb wrote:I use a similar model to the one linked below, which has an excelent usable range of 8-ish feet (2.5M).

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/keybo ... 8&cl=gb,en

I tried a CNN package and its range was useless, I then tried a £30 MS package, and it was the worst mouse I have ever used, it was flaky within inches - needless to say that went back.

I settled on a K/B and Mouse bundle simply because I use my living room PC as a PC that I use to watch movies on, so I really needed the full functionality. Mixed with the usability that comes as standard with "Media Player Classic" I only use the mouse when opening and watching movies, its not quite as convenient as a remote would be - but its damned close, or maybe even better as you can grab the scroll bar for the film and within seconds continue playing it from where you left it the day before.

Andy
I do have a wireles KB and mouse, but I don't want to have them lying around in my bed, they are decidedly impractical. However I always have the remote lying by my bedside.
jessekopelman wrote:Sure. A good one for Windows is the Antec Multi-Station stuff. There are several different models that give you options for mounting and whether or not you want a VFD.
Googling this get's me nothing. Link?
jessekopelman wrote: The real question is whether your existing receiver remote have any learning capability?
Not explicitly as such, I don't think. All I can do, is enter a 5 digit number code (as read from the back of the manual), and it will control the corresponding device.

What I was hoping, is that I could enter some kind of number of which I don't have any corresponding item in the house, and then make the computer respond to the according signals sent by the receiver-remote.

Melluk
Friend of SPCR

Post by Melluk » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:14 pm

widowmaker

Post by widowmaker » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:28 pm

This is a little off the track of what you're looking for, but do you have any wireless gaming devices like gamepads? I find that they can make great remote controls. I have a Saitek P3000 and it comes with profiling software that allows you to bind keys and axes. You can even bind mouse movements and shortcuts. I find it great for when I'm sitting farther back watching a movie or tv on pc.

jessekopelman

Post by jessekopelman » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:02 pm

klankymen wrote: Not explicitly as such, I don't think. All I can do, is enter a 5 digit number code (as read from the back of the manual), and it will control the corresponding device.

What I was hoping, is that I could enter some kind of number of which I don't have any corresponding item in the house, and then make the computer respond to the according signals sent by the receiver-remote.
No, you are pretty much out of luck. You need to get a universal remote that has learning capabilities. Be prepared to spend at least $100.

alphabetbackward

Post by alphabetbackward » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:16 pm

widowmaker wrote:This is a little off the track of what you're looking for, but do you have any wireless gaming devices like gamepads? I find that they can make great remote controls. I have a Saitek P3000 and it comes with profiling software that allows you to bind keys and axes. You can even bind mouse movements and shortcuts. I find it great for when I'm sitting farther back watching a movie or tv on pc.
I remember doing something similar to that. I use my Logitech Cordless Rumblepad and the program was called Joy2Mouse and I could control the mouse with the analog stick.