Noisy Enermax Modu82+ 425w

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

zenzero-2001

Noisy Enermax Modu82+ 425w

Post by zenzero-2001 » Thu May 29, 2008 3:40 pm

Hi,

I have recently completed my new build. Unfortunately there is a loud tapping noise coming from the Enermax Modu82+ PSU. It sounds like the blades of the fan are hitting the metal grill as they rotate; I'm pretty certain this is what is happening.

Does anybody have any ideas on how I should fix this problem? Should I RMA the PSU or open it up and try and fix it? My system case is an Antec Solo, I'm not sure if that has any bearing on the situation.

Other than the tapping the PSU is very quiet; in fact, the whole system is very quiet! I am particularly pleased with the WD GreenPower 750Gb HDD :)

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Thu May 29, 2008 5:59 pm

Hello,

Can you shine a light in through the fan, and nudge it with your finger (power off, naturally!) to see if it is hitting something?

lethul

Post by lethul » Fri May 30, 2008 1:04 am

I'll borrow your thread for a quick question. Are enermax 425 and 525 as quiet as the 625 one reviewed here on spcr?

[Mod: There are several threads about these, and apparently they are as quiet. Ditto for the Pro versions.]

Cistron

Post by Cistron » Fri May 30, 2008 10:28 am

My fan in an Enermax Pro82+ 385W clicks or taps as well (ceases when I stop it with my finger). I've removed the fan-grill and I can't see any direct contact obstruction of the fan. Might it be the little ledge holding the PSU (Rebel9) which impedes airflow?

zenzero-2001

Post by zenzero-2001 » Sat May 31, 2008 3:48 am

I tried spinning the fan manually awhile ago and it made a noise when I did so. I could not see where or if it was contacting with anything. The tapping varies in frequency depending on what the computer is doing. Sometimes the tapping sounds more like ticking.

Good news! The fan seems to have stopped making the noise. It probably just needed some burn-in time. The noise could have been coming from the fan itself. I will keep my ears peeled for any further noises!

Thanks for the advice.

zenzero-2001

Post by zenzero-2001 » Sat May 31, 2008 7:12 am

Looks like I spoke too soon. It still taps and ticks, just more intermittently :(

Anyway, I have a worse problem now. The new monitor has completely died. No power light, no on-screen display. It is either the screen or the external power block (although the light is lit on that). :cry:

Is it me, or has the quality of electronics gone down hill in the last few years? So much junk around nowadays.

Wish I'd got the Asus motherboard instead of the Abit IP35 Pro, which has annoying problems with SATA and Linux. Ho hum. :cry:

zenzero-2001

Post by zenzero-2001 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:51 am

Okay, I have taken my computer to pieces. I then tested the PSU outside the case connected to the motherboard on a wooden table.

Outside of the case, the tapping noise is still apparent. However, I still cannot see where the fan blades are contacting anything. I notice that the fan blades each have a lip on them, maybe this is the problem?

Anyway, I have decided to RMA this unit. In its place I have ordered a Corsair HX520W, hopefully I will have more luck with this.

From my limited experience (a sample size of one), I cannot recommend this power supply for a quiet system.

zenzero-2001

Post by zenzero-2001 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:28 am

Ha ha!

I have found out what is causing the tapping.

I took the grill off the PSU and I can see that the blades of the fans are hitting the nodule of a cable tie. So I have pushed the cable tie around with the aid of a screwdriver so that it is no longer in the way of the fan. Simple, huh? :lol:

I decided to go ahead and remove the grill because the retailer hasn't got back to me about the RMA. I think they are ignoring me. I didn't do it earlier because I didn't want to risk invalidating the warranty.

So, if your fan in your Enermax PSU is tapping, it could be something that simple.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:08 am

well done! good investigative work. hopefully the solution is this simple for everyone with this problem.

Zoot Allures

Post by Zoot Allures » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:24 am

Hi there,

The same problem here with a 525 one. I bought in april, almost the same batch... sort of "toug-toug-toug (ad lib.)".
The same that was barely there at 20/30 cm/1 ft from the back of the tower when the PSU was brand new but now clearly audible at 1 m/3 ft after only a few month of use...

When used in a really silent rig (Nexus fan, Samsung HDD etc.) in the middle of the night (sigh!).

I'm not going to open it. I've asked the reseller for a RMA.

It's boring: noname PSU that set the house on fire, high-end one that fail after 9 month (2 Seasonic 500 S12) and this one with what seem to be a family sickness... Should we better use cow fart gas or cooking oil?

In fact, I'm really p*** of.

zenzero-2001

Post by zenzero-2001 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:07 pm

Epilogue:

The fan of my Enermax PSU has developed fan ticking :(

This only happens when (and after) the computer is under load (e.g. playing Quake Wars) and the PSU fan spins up a bit.

The tapping I had before was definitely because the fan was hitting a cable tie because it was more of tapping noise whereas this is more like a loud watch.

I guess I will have to send it back to Enermax rather than RMA it to the retailer because it has been over five months since I purchased it?

I thought about swapping the fan myself, but I see that it uses a four pin plug because of PWM. Does anybody have any idea of an appropriate fan swap? I would rather do it myself than be without my computer for weeks because the PSU is off being repaired! I have done a fan swap on a PSU before, but not a four pin one.

Zoot Allures: I feel your pain. At this moment I am being bombarding by terrible buzzing - mostly from my monitor (Hazro HZW24i), but also from my speakers. Aaaarrrgghhh!

walle

Post by walle » Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:13 pm

zenzero-2001 wrote:Is it me, or has the quality of electronics gone down hill in the last few years? So much junk around nowadays.
Its not you mate, the quality has indeed gone down the hill. Unfortunately they still charge us premium; our own fault since we keep purchasing thus giving our consent.

By the way;
I’m currently on my third replacement Samsung 226BW screen, utter crap if you ask me…buzzing like mad.
:(

zenzero-2001

Post by zenzero-2001 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:36 am

Okay,

I see that I need a PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) controlled fan, these have the four pins. Good old Nexus do a 120mm PWM fan! Woo hooo! Would this be a good choice for the fan swap?

Cheers

zenzero-2001

Post by zenzero-2001 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:07 pm

I have decided to try the Scythe Kama PWM fan . It has a lower max RPM than the Nexus. So it should be quieter.

I noticed also that the Enermax fan makes another strange noise, a bit like a steam train (a very quiet steam train though). So another reason to swap it!

chylld

Post by chylld » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:27 am

very interested to know how it goes. trying to choose between a 525/625 atm and if you can fix your 425 with a simple fan swap, i figure the 525 should be more than adequate for me :)

jamesbundy

Post by jamesbundy » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:16 am

The 4 pin fan in the new Enermax PSU's is not a PWM fan but some sort of exotic dual-voltage fan (check post-script of review link at the bottom). I would be wary of swapping it out.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article806-page6.html

zenzero-2001

Post by zenzero-2001 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:45 pm

Thanks for the heads up!

I had not read the postscript in the review, eeek!

Pity I did not read your post before ordering the fan. Oh well, looks like I will have to send it back to Enermax. Which means being without my computer for an unknown amount of time since I do not have a spare PSU. :(

Thanks again for mentioning that. I would have swapped the fan and invalidated the warranty for nothing otherwise! :)

npv

Post by npv » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:01 pm

I can hear the sound on the 425w that's been described as "sort of toug-toug-toug" and "a bit like a steam train." But only with my ear next to it.