McCain broke or gave in - at least twice

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:24 pm

JoeWPgh wrote:
m0002a wrote:Have you no shame?
You can ask this question after citing Newsbusters?!?!?!?!?! This is a case of life imitating satire.

First of all Raines was never an Obama advisor. They both deny any connection other than a brief phone call. But in the whacked out world of Newsbusters, we are to ignore the statements of the actual individuals and take the word of Newsbusters. Johnson served on Obama's VP committee for all of two weeks and was asked to leave. I guess that proves Obama's a secret America hating Muslim or something - there's just no predicting how Newsbusters will 'interpret' their 'facts'.

Then there's Rick Davis' wee problem of getting paid by Fanny as late as last month - until Government auditors pulled the plug on that little deal. He claims he had severed ties with his lobby shop for the duration of the campaign, so he made nothing off the deal. His problem there is that it has come out that the McCain campaign has been paying Davis through his lobbying firm. Hardly a severed relationship, on it's face.

If there was anything resembling a brain at the top of the McCain campaign, they would have never uttered a word about Fanny/Freddy connections, because they're in it themselves - up to their eyeballs.
I could find other sources that state Johnson was on Obama's VP search team (such as the one below), and you admitted that yourself, so your comments about my source are ridiculous.

FNMA hired one Repulican consultant (Davis) and one Democratic consultant (Paul Begala, a former Clinton Advisor). What these lobbyists got paid is not any comparison to James Johnson who was CEO of FNMA and received over $21 million and allowed the sub-prime loans to be purchased by FNMA. He also received direct personal loans from a company that FNMA bought loans from.
James A. Johnson is a United States Democratic Party political figure. He was the campaign manager for Walter Mondale's failed 1984 presidential bid and chaired the vice presidential selection committee for the presidential campaign of John Kerry. He was involved in the vice-presidential selection process for the 2008 Democratic presidential nominee Senator Barack Obama.

On May 22, 2008, Democratic Party officials confidentially divulged that Obama had asked Johnson "to lead the process" for selecting Obama's running mate. On June 4, 2008, Obama announced the formation of a three-person committee to vet vice presidential candidates, including Johnson. However, Johnson soon became a source of controversy when it was reported that he had received loans directly from Angelo Mozilo, the CEO of Countrywide Financial, a company implicated in the U.S. subprime mortgage crisis. Although he was not accused of any wrongdoing and was initially defended by Obama on the grounds that he was simply an unpaid volunteer, Johnson announced he would step down from the vice-presidential vetting position on June 11, 2008, in order to avoid being a distraction to Obama's campaign.

From 1991 to 1998, he served as chairman and chief executive officer of the Federal National Mortgage Association (Fannie Mae), the quasi-public organization that guarantees mortgages for millions of American homeowners. Previously, he was vice chairman of Fannie Mae (1990-1991) and a managing director with Lehman Brothers (1985-1990). An Office of Federal Housing Enterprise Oversight (OFHEO) report from September 2004 found that, during Johnson's tenure as CEO, Fannie Mae had improperly deferred $200 million in expenses. This enabled top executives, including Johnson and his successor, Franklin Raines, to receive substantial bonuses in 1998. A 2006 OFHEO report found that Fannie Mae had substantially under-reported Johnson's compensation. Originally reported as $6-7 million, Johnson actually received approximately $21 million.

Johnson is a strong Obama supporter who has personally donated the maximum $4,600 to his 2008 Presidential campaign, as well as $1,000 to Obama's Senate campaign in 2004. In addition to personal donations, Johnson is a bundler for the Obama campaign, raising between $200,000 and $500,000. He has also participated in Obama campaign efforts to recruit former Clinton supporters.
Last edited by m0002a on Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:29 pm

NeilBlanchard wrote:Hi,

Did you read the Newsweek article I linked to? Rick Davis was getting paid personally -- in two ways, directly and as an "investor" in a side company that had the same address as his consulting business. He got more than $1,000,000, for doing nothing.

Yeah, McCain is fighting graft and corruption, fer sure...

For McCain and Team, a Host of Ties to Gambling
You claim he did nothing, or more accurately "sources say he did nothing". So did the Democratic consultant do nothing also? Well if they did nothing, then they did not engage in any improper lobbying, so what are you complaining about.

Comparing that to the person in Obama's campaign (Johnson) who was CEO of FNMA for many years is ridiculous.

JoeWPgh
Friend of SPCR

Post by JoeWPgh » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:28 pm

m0002a wrote:Comparing that to the person in Obama's campaign (Johnson) who was CEO of FNMA for many years is ridiculous.
Ridiculous is a pretty good word for comparing a person connected to Fanny/Freddy who worked for Obama for two weeks, as compared to someone who is McSame's campaign chair. Please keeps the jokes a-coming. I am genuinely amused. :)

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:00 pm

JoeWPgh wrote:Ridiculous is a pretty good word for comparing a person connected to Fanny/Freddy who worked for Obama for two weeks, as compared to someone who is McSame's campaign chair. Please keeps the jokes a-coming. I am genuinely amused. :)
They were advisors for a lot longer than a few weeks. You don't really think that Obama would put someone in charge of his VP selection committee whom he did not know very well, do you?

In any event, the reason why Johnson had to resign after a few weeks was because of the FNMA meltdown, and his role as former CEO. If not for the current mortgage crisis, Johnson would not have resigned, and he most certainly would have landed a cabinet position.

Fayd

Post by Fayd » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:21 am

frenchie wrote:I wouldn't go into the torture thing... People can only go through a certain amount of pain. I'm not american so I guess it's not really a debate for me. However, if I had to vote in the election, I wouldn't hold him accountable for that. Everybody is brave... up to a point.

To me this "confession" is the least of his problems. His bigger problem is this gun-loving women-hating lipstick-loving Miss Nobody right next to him... and women seem to like her... scarry...

As for honesty and integrity... was he pushed in this direction but his "advisors" ? Is it something he personnaly wanted... not sure... I mean he is smart, he really doesn't need this to campain against Obama.

PS : Not that Obama is not smart. He certainly is. I'm just saying that since they are both smart they could have had a very productive debate for the american people. Too bad it turned out like this...
heheh... i like that gun loving, woman hating, lipstick loving miss nobody :P

it's too bad presidents cant go for 3 terms. i'd vote for bush again ;)

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:17 am

it's too bad presidents cant go for 3 terms. i'd vote for bush again
the men in white coats will be along to take you to the asylum within the hour. what is that old saying about a dog always returning to his vomit:? :roll:

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:50 pm

More like the sheep following the leader right off the cliff.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:05 pm

jaganath wrote:
it's too bad presidents cant go for 3 terms. i'd vote for bush again
the men in white coats will be along to take you to the asylum within the hour. what is that old saying about a dog always returning to his vomit:? :roll:
Oh if only sarcasm came a cross over the net...

Id just love to see dubya face some of HIS problems, himself.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:36 pm

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:00 pm

Thanks.

Forwarded to my entire contacts list.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:53 am

Hi,

The McCain/Palin campaign has been soliciting some pretty disturbing responses from their supporters: referring to Barack Obama, there have been people yelling out "Kill him!" and "Terrorist" and "Treason!", and columnists are calling him things like "Maoist" -- all of which are quite disturbing for many reasons.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/10/0 ... 32366.html

There have been jeers and ugliness directed towards the press, at McCain/Palin rallies:
Worse, Palin's routine attacks on the media have begun to spill into ugliness. In Clearwater, arriving reporters were greeted with shouts and taunts by the crowd of about 3,000. Palin then went on to blame Katie Couric's questions for her "less-than-successful interview with kinda mainstream media." At that, Palin supporters turned on reporters in the press area, waving thunder sticks and shouting abuse. Others hurled obscenities at a camera crew. One Palin supporter shouted a racial epithet at an African American sound man for a network and told him, "Sit down, boy."
Also, at a rally that was watching the vice-presidential debate, people snickered when Joe Biden choked up (briefly) when talking about the death of his wife and daughter.

People are being whipped up into a frenzy, and the results are disturbing. I call upon John McCain to take the steps to publicly apologize for these statements by his supporters and to reject them.

On the other side of the debate, I take my hat off to Richard Trumka for directly addressing the racism that is just below the surface, with people who are against Obama because he has brown skin.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... d=95591135

Blue

Post by Blue » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:08 pm

I'm not sure what is worse - the fact that these insidious comments are even being made by the [potential] future leaders of our country, whom we are supposed to admire and respect; or the fact that the general public believes in it....because these are the people whom we've entrusted, as they inherently represent our political party for which we are dedicated.

Honor. We could learn a lot from Klingons.

Greg F.

Post by Greg F. » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:28 pm

Sir Winston Churchill once stated, “The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.â€

CallMeJoe

Post by CallMeJoe » Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:03 am

NeilBlanchard wrote:Hi,

The McCain/Palin campaign has been soliciting some pretty disturbing responses from their supporters: referring to Barack Obama, there have been people yelling out "Kill him!" and "Terrorist" and "Treason!", and columnists are calling him things like "Maoist" -- all of which are quite disturbing for many reasons.
People are being whipped up into a frenzy, and the results are disturbing. I call upon John McCain to take the steps to publicly apologize for these statements by his supporters and to reject them.
To his credit, Senator McCain has (belatedly) sought to rein in the excesses of his supporters (CNN story). His campaign is still, however, running the inflammatory ads that have incited much of the Republicans' frenzy.

sea2stars
Patron of SPCR

Post by sea2stars » Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:51 pm

Heh. Just came across this today.

MADtv - John McCain Ad
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68NEc8EvV2Q

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Re: McCain broke or gave in - at least twice

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:53 pm

N7SC wrote:Well, now to start the most epic flame wars ever:

Was just thinking about something that needs to be said and discussed. Preferably rationaly and politely. That is that Sen. John McCain has given in, or broken, at least twice in his life.

The first time was in Viet Nam. Yes, he was brutally tortured, but so were thousands of other Americans who were captured, and not all of them signed "confessions" as did McCain. Many were tortured much more harshly than McCain, but refused to give in. Some others gave their lives rather than sign "confessions."

The second time that I wish to point out (there may be others in between these two) is when he decided to give up his honesty and integrity, hire members of the Rove/Bush campaign team, end the open, frewheeling and honest "straight talks" with the media on his bus and plane, and sink to dishonest, negative and nasty campaigning of the type that he is clearly on record as disliking and claiming that he is against. He simply sold out in order to win.

I have to ask myself, "What does it say about McCain's character?" "Does this guy have a serious character flaw or weakness that makes him unfit to be the President and Commander in Chief?" And, "Could I ever trust a man who seems to have a pattern of giving in?"

Before anyone explodes in wrath in their reply, note that I was, not too long ago, looking forward to Sen. McCain setting a new standard in running a campaign, holding his head up and doing it right, in his own way. I was hoping that he would elevate the discourse to a much higher standard than has been the norm lately. And I was even looking forward to a campaign that would have two good men passionately arguing the issues and laying out their visions, policies, and goals for the American people to consider and decide upon. I fought with my own, heavily Democratic, family because I favored McCain. Under those circumstances I could over look McCain's breaking once, and under torture. But now it just looks like it is a pattern of his behavior and reveals a serious character weakness. I'm horribly disappointed by him. He gives in when necessary to get what he wants.
off topic.... welll um on topic, you are an abject moron.

how many torture sessions have you owned up to so far? how many torture sessions have your friends accomplished? hmm... yes you command a great argument belittling something that you could never endure or have ever endured nor no anyone personally in the slightest besides

CHUCK NORRIS ON TV RERUNS

to endure.

yay. I salute you!

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:38 am

Hello,

Well, tonight we will see what path McCain takes.

He is having to fight to stay up with Obama in North Carolina, Virginia, and Indiana -- states where normally it is a cake walk for the Republican.

NeilBlanchard

Joe the Plumber

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:24 am

Hello,

So, it turns out that "Joe the Plumber" is not what John McCain thinks he is:

He is not a licensed plumber.

He makes ~$40,000/year -- and would benefit a lot under Obama's tax plan.

He owes a fair bit of back taxes (~$1,200). :oops:

His name is Samuel. :roll:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/us_ ... 675278.stm

NeilBlanchard

The railing against ACORN

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:38 pm

Hiya,

Here's a very honest and perceptive take on the outcry against ACORN:

http://slacktivist.typepad.com/slacktiv ... ation.html
How very strange it is these days to hear Sen. John McCain and his surrogates constantly vacillating between calls for (undefined) "Reform!" and scapegoating condemnations of "Reform Now."

What do they want? Reform!

And when do they want it? Not now.

If you're not a racist *** living in the fever-dream of a post-fact surreality, then you'll appreciate this summary of the confusions and distortions in the latest round of ritual attacks and scapegoating leveled at ACORN.

And no, it's not an overstatement or an uncharitable characterization to say that anyone swallowing this ACORN-scapegoating is insane and a racist ***. This is a baseless assertion that begins with the argument that poor people and black people are the powers that be in America -- that they run the show. That's insane. It's laughable on its face to anyone not infected by the voluntary mental illness of old-fashioned American racism.
I also found one of the posted comments to put into words something that I had been pondering:
Jared Bascomb wrote:The McCain campaign has been so disastrous that I'm starting to believe my initial, far-fetched theory just might be correct: he's sabotaging his campaign for the express purpose of rendering the neocons and religious right-wingnuts irrelevant, and restoring the GOP to what Barry Goldwater - who was far more libertarian, especially in his later years - intended. McCain is destroying the village in order to save it.

That's my good angel talking. My bad angel says . . . well, what everyone else thinks.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: The railing against ACORN

Post by xan_user » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:29 pm

Jared Bascomb wrote:The McCain campaign has been so disastrous that I'm starting to believe my initial, far-fetched theory just might be correct: he's sabotaging his campaign for the express purpose of rendering the neocons and religious right-wingnuts irrelevant, and restoring the GOP to what Barry Goldwater - who was far more libertarian, especially in his later years - intended. McCain is destroying the village in order to save it.

That's my good angel talking. My bad angel says . . . well, what everyone else thinks.
That or he realized he didn't want to inherit dubya's fiasco.

NeilBlanchard

Republicans question people's patriotism

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:37 pm

Hello,

Keith Olbermann says it better than I can:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27285708/

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp ... 3#27287363
Gov. Palin:

"We believe that the best of America is not all in Washington D.C.," you told a fund-raiser in North Carolina last Thursday, to kick off this orgy of condescending elitism.

"We believe that the best of America is in these small towns that we get to visit, and in these wonderful little pockets of what I call the real America, being here with all of you hard working very patriotic, very pro-America areas of this great nation."

Governor, your prejudice is overwhelming. It is not just "pockets" of this country that are "pro-America" Governor. America is "pro-America. "And the "Real America" of yours, Governor, is where people at your rallies shout threats of violence, against other Americans, and you say nothing about them or to them.
Indeed, that shout has echoed to Minnesota, where the next day an unstable Congresswoman named Michele Bachmann added to the ugly cry.

"I wish the American media would take a great look at the views of the people in Congress and find out, are they pro-America, or anti-America. I think people would love to see an expose' like that."

For nearly two years, Ms. Bachmann, who made her first political bones by keeping the movie "Aladdin" from being shown at a Minnesota Charter School because she thought it promoted paganism and witchcraft, has had a seat in the government of this nation, a seat from which she has spewed the most implausible, hateful, narrow-minded garbage imaginable.
And Sen. McCain's talking head, Ms. Pfotenhauer, who on this very network Saturday, and seemingly without the slightest idea that dismissive prejudice dripped from every word, analyzed the race in Virginia.

"I can tell you that the Democrats have just come in from the District of Columbia and moved into northern Virginia," she said. "But the rest of the state, ‘real Virginia,' if you will, I think will be very responsive to Sen. McCain's message."

Again, a toxic message. The parts of the country that agree with Nancy Pfotenhauer are real; the others, not. Ms. Pfotenhauer, why not go the distance on this one? It was Sen. McCain's own brother who called that part of Virginia nearest Washington "communist country."
And now all of this comes together to attack Colin Powell. "Secretary Powell says his endorsement is not about race," writes Rush Limbaugh, the grand wizard of this school of reactionary non-thought.

"OK, fine. I am now researching his past endorsements to see if I can find all the inexperienced, very liberal, white candidates he has endorsed. I'll let you know what I come up with." It is not conceivable that Powell might reject McCain for the politics of hate and character assassination, or just for policy.

In the closed, sweaty world of the blind allegiances of Limbaugh, one of "us" who endorses one of "them," must be doing so for some other blind allegiance, like the color of skin.
So when Colin Powell endorses your opponent, you say nothing as your supporters and proxies paint him in this "Anti-America" frame and place him in Gov. Palin's un-real America. Sen. McCain, did not Gen. Powell just "reach across the aisle?" Did he not, in his own mind at least, "put country first?" Is it not your responsibility, Senator, to, if not applaud, then at least quiet those in your half of our fractured political equation?

Is it not your responsibility, Senator, to say "enough" to Republican smears without end? Is it not your responsibility, Senator, to insist that, win or lose, you will not be party to a campaign that devolves into hatred and prejudice and divisiveness? And Sen. McCain, if it is not your responsibility, whose is it?

NeilBlanchard

What is a "real" American?

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:30 am

Hello,

Recently, S. Joseph Wurzelbacher (aka "Joe the Plumber") called John McCain a "real" American -- exactly what is a "real" American?

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... d=96369297

The implications of this are disturbing. Akin to what Michele Bachmann said about being "pro" America and "anti" American:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... d=96369316