Are all Slipstreams scratchy and clicky?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

danielG

Are all Slipstreams scratchy and clicky?

Post by danielG » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:37 am

I have a 800 rpm Scythe Slipstream which I recently removed from my PC, since it was producing a subtle clicking sound and I no longer need it. I could hear it even during daytime. When listening closer I could hear a scratchy sound too.

I'm also using a 1200 rpm Slipstream @ 800 rpm as the rear fan on my P182. I used to consider it near silent. However, yesterday at 2 AM, as the ambient noise had died down, I could hear the same sound the 800 rpm produced. It was very soft, though, and I usually can't hear it.

Are all Slipstreams like this? I'm asking because I have a faint memory of someone else complaining about 800 rpm Slipstreams around these forums.

If this starts to bother me, which would be the best choice for a replacement: Scythe S-Flex or Noctua S12?

AuraAllan
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by AuraAllan » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:18 pm

Well I have 4 Slipstreams. 2*1200RPM + 2*500RPM.
None of them makes any clicking og scratching sounds at any speed.

zgundam

Post by zgundam » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:53 pm

I bought 5 1200rpm SlipStreams and 1 of them made a clicking sound when powered up. I could even hear the clicking sound when I spun the fan blades with my hand.

Conclusion: Dud SlipStream. Should get it RMA'ed.

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:43 am

Definitely RMA it. I had to return the first 1200rpm I received as it howled off and on regardless of speed. Replacement has no such issues.

danielG

Post by danielG » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:57 am

Thank you all for your replies.

I went to computer shop today and returned the clicky 800 rpm Slipstream. The clerk brought a replacement, tested it and, to my horror, it made twice the noise of the fan I own. The clerk took it back and brought a third 800 rpm Slipstream. Altough it wasn't as noisy as the previous one, it was still louder than the one I had. So, I ended up keeping it.

Perhaps the store has a bad batch in stock. But I bought a 800 rpm S-Flex to take the Slipstream's place and it is so much better than the latter that I will never buy another Slipstream again.

Placed the Slipstream in the the bottom chamber of the P182. Needed a fan there and it might not bother me so much.

EDIT: Just noticed that the 800 rpm S-Flex is a tiny bit louder than the 800 rpm Slipstream. Makes a bassier, whooshy sound. At least it doesn't click. :(

walle

Post by walle » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:34 am

There are always sample variations; which make it impossible to answer your question with either a yes or no, this applies for all fans out there; given one, but I thought it could be worth mentioning anyway.

I usually purchase a couple of more fans then I need, that way (even though it does increase cost slightly) I minimize the inconvenience of ending up sitting there with a noisy fan and no replacement(s) at hand.

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:33 am

I gotta think that the shop got a bad batch. Luckily you were in a position to return them to the store easy enough. I would recommend contacting Scythe directly though. I have 3 Slipstreams (2x800rpm, 1x1200rpm) and not one of them clicks at all, even when undervolted via PWM.

You might also want to talk to the shop and get them to contact Scythe on their bad batch.

yamahaSHO

Post by yamahaSHO » Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:56 pm

Counting all my computers, I have 5 SlipStreams (4x 1,200 RPM & 1x 1,000 RPM) and they all have a very minor click when undervolting. I can only hear them when I put my ear behind the computer and listen for it.

fernstroem

Something wrong with my Slipstream M and SH?

Post by fernstroem » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:26 am

Hi!

I got a "multi connector"(?) and it looks like (see link)
https://www.inet.se/datorkomponenter/ky ... 1/6308155/. I got it with my X850XT gfx card years ago. I don't know what voltage it is giving!

It says that is has 2x12V + 2x5V connectors but I'm not sure if that is the case! But I assume that mine has the same when writing this.

According to SPR the Slipstream M (1200rpm) should push more air @ 5V and 7V than the Slipstream SH (1900rpm) and the latter more than the former @ 9V and 12V, right?

My SH does push more air than the M @ 12V. But it also seem to push a bit more air @ 5V or 7V. I can't say exactly how much but it feels more. At least that's how I experience it when having the fans next to each other having my hands/fingers infront of the fans.

Sound:
At 5V or 7V in vertical position both fans sound almost the same. SH slightly more. At a horizontal position the SH give away an annoying sound from the bearings. I could hear it at a distance of up to approx. 40 cm at the least. The M does also give away the same sound in horizontal position at a distance of approx. up to 5 cm but it's barely audiable nor annoying at all.

Vibrations:
At 5V or 7V in vertical position I felt no vibrations on either fan. In horizontal position I felt some vibrations with the SH and I also noticed how the RPM of the fan had slowed down.
At 12V the M did give away quite noticable vibrations. Not sure if it's supposed to do that at.

I'm gonna compare these fans with my ADDA AD1212DX-A73GL later.

====SH==== ====M====
12V 39 dBA@1m 1780RPM 79 CFM / 12V 28 dBA@1m 1210RPM 46 CFM
7V ~18 dBA@1m 630RPM 21 CFM / 7V 21 dBA@1m 890RPM 30 CFM
5V <18 dBA@1m 400RPM 12 CFM / 5V ~18 dBA@1m 720RPM 24 CFM

@ 5V the M should push twice what the SH does. I can't feel that. And
@ 7V the M should push a bit more than the SH does. I can't feel that either. At 5V or 7V with my "multi connector" the SH does seem to push more air at almost identical noise level.

Could someone please tell me why I experience this? Something wrong with my perception or is it something wrong with my fans? Should I RMA? I rather not push my luck with the retailer unless I really have to!

Thanks in advance!

Best regards
Fernstroem