Not dead

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

warriorpoet

Post by warriorpoet » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:45 am

haysdb wrote:Am I correct that I will run one instance of the GPU2 client and one instance of the SMP client? And that I should turn Hyperthreading off on the quad-core i7?

I'll be running a version of Windows: Windows 7 64-bit is what I'm going to try first. I'll dual boot with XP 32-bit if and when I have to. I'm going to try my best to avoid buying a copy of Vista, as a matter of principle.
:lol:

From what I gather 1x GPU2 and 1x SMP is the way to go with those, but I don't have your CPU power, so I can't comment from experience.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:54 am

Actually many people run 2 instances of SMP on a quad processor.

warriorpoet

Post by warriorpoet » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:19 pm

aristide1 wrote:Actually many people run 2 instances of SMP on a quad processor.
What does the GPU client use, then? From my (limited) experience, the GPU needs a core.

re: hyperthreading- that's going to be up to you. The processor will run hotter and burn more power with it on, but having the extra threads available might be beneficial in some instances.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:22 pm

Back in the days of the P4 with HT some people ran SMP on a single core, and it earned a few more points that way.

GPUs are strictly 1 WU per core. Some people have had problems starting the second core when 2 cores are on 1 card.

With the latest drivers in Vista or XP GPU uses very little core, and you can run SMP no problem.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:28 pm

warriorpoet wrote:What does the GPU client use, then? From my (limited) experience, the GPU needs a core.
Well even 2 CPUs can run SMP which is 4 "programs" or instances. With the latest CUDA drivers you will use very little CPU no matter how many GPUs you have. The older XP drivers were not nearly as efficient.

Load 18060 and give it a try.

fastturtle

Aint Dead Yet

Post by fastturtle » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:34 am

I haven't been folding for some time due to testing the Win7 beta after using Vista64 for a while. Recently upgraded memory to 8GB from the 4GB using Intel Tested Memory (Crucial CT25664AA800) and back to running 64bit Gentoo (linux).

My next planned upgrade is the CPU as I need a Q6600 (only compatible CPU now available for my board) and the price is pretty decent. Another reason that I'll be doing the CPU upgrade next is that I wont need a PSU upgrade to handle it as my new APC Backups-XS1300 shows less then 120 watts being used by the System, Monitor and Router that are all plugged into it. Surprised the hell out of me.

Dutchmm

Size of GPU result sets?

Post by Dutchmm » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:39 am

Aristide

How big are the result sets for the GPU client? I am thinking about attempting to run the GPU client under wine, because the linux SMP WUs are too much like hard work. Only one in five WUs is suitable for my current kernel, and the uploads (26 Mbytes on a 56Kbit line :-(() are impossible.

Thx in advance

Mike