Glass or Acrylic , the better sound dampener

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

EarlZ

Glass or Acrylic , the better sound dampener

Post by EarlZ » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:41 pm

As the thread title states, w/c material dampens sound better ?

tehfire

Post by tehfire » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:04 pm

Because glass is heavier/more dense than acrylic, I would imagine glass would be better. That choice is like shooting yourself in the foot or the leg, however.

Saan sa Pilipinas ka?

EarlZ

Post by EarlZ » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:27 pm

Why is choosing glass bad, aside that its more fragile..

Cebu city

CallmeRoth

Post by CallmeRoth » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:44 pm

How are you planning on using it? Are you wanting to line your side panels? Are you wanting a windowed side panel and are choosing on a material to window with ?

Or is this even for a case, possible a cabinet? Or desk?

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:59 pm

I would imagine it depends greatly on what frequency(s) your trying to absorb, and how mechanical that vibration is.

EarlZ

Post by EarlZ » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:23 pm

CallmeRoth wrote:How are you planning on using it? Are you wanting to line your side panels? Are you wanting a windowed side panel and are choosing on a material to window with ?

Or is this even for a case, possible a cabinet? Or desk?
Side panel window.

Olle P

Post by Olle P » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:23 am

EarlZ wrote:Why is choosing glass bad, aside that its more fragile..
Who said it's more fragile? The glass used for aquariums is by no means "fragile", not to mention 4" thick laminated bullet proof glass...

The tricky part is that it's much harder, both physically and in terms of working with it.

A single side wall, made of aquarium glass as thick as you can afford, could be feasible though.

Cheers
Olle

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:47 am

EarlZ wrote:Why is choosing glass bad, aside that its more fragile..

Cebu city
Acoustically, glass is a highly reflective surface. This is the opposite of what you want for a quiet case, which should preferably be absorbing or dampening (two different sound reduction mechanisms).

spookmineer
Patron of SPCR

Post by spookmineer » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:12 pm

I don't know...

Glass is more reflective but it's heavier, denser.

Acrylic is less reflective, lighter but also dense (heavier doesn't always mean more dense). Acrylic could even move a little (?) from the noise it is exposed to, transferring part of it to ambient.
Also considering it's easier to work with, I would go with acrylic.

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:56 pm

Glass will reflect sound but it's weight will help dampen a case panel. However, even aquarium glass is fragile at the ends (where damage from a dropped panel is likely to happen) and does not handle typical mounting methods (screws, bolts, rivets) well without fracturing.

In the end, windows are anathema to keeping a case as quiet as it can be.
Last edited by jhhoffma on Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:31 pm

If you want to see in, just go without any window and leave it open, with that much air flow it should be easy to silence, and there would be no need to resort to case dampening anyway.

server_rack
-- Vendor --

Our XRackPro2 Uses Glass

Post by server_rack » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:44 am

Glass, not acrylic, is used for our window of the XRackPro2 noise reducing rack.

I am not an engineer, but the engineers must have good reasons for choosing glass originally and not changing to acrylic in 8 years of production.

blackworx
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by blackworx » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:09 am

No disrespect to other posters, but I believe for damping the answer is generally acrylic. Glass may well be used in a number of sound blocking applications, but in general its rigidity will transmit vibrations much more faithfully than acrylic.

Of course it very much depends on the type and thickness you are talking about, as there are many different variations of both glass and acrylic (for example I wouldn't recommend the lighter, more brittle varieties of acrylic). The best way to test for any substance's dampening properties is to rap it with your knuckle. With glass you will generally get quite a loud "tink", whereas for the same size and shape of acrylic you will get a much quieter "thud".

High density acrylic has found many uses in audio where its "less excitable" properties are desired, including transcriptor platters and loudspeaker cabinets. It's also easier to work with than glass.

Having said all that, I think for a low-intensity "non-audio" application such as a PC case, other considerations such as price and availability would be more important.

[flame on]

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:35 am

How about using a mixture, Acrylic outside, attached in the normal fashion to the case (you could easily use the original side), then affix glass to the inside with some suitable glue.

That way you can get round the mounting problems of having to drill holes in glass, and the reflective qualities of the glass will be drastically reduced on the outside as there is acrylic there (ideally with an air gap like double glased windows have).

Just a thought.

Andy

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:43 pm

How about a storm window, with double paned glass and a vacuum inside?

My house got unbelievably more quite when I replaced my old cheap double paned windows with nice new double paned ones.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:57 am

a case with double glazing! genius! :)