Lian Li PC-B25B, who's got it?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Xeanor

Lian Li PC-B25B, who's got it?

Post by Xeanor » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:07 am

This case has come to my attention recently (despite the fact that it's been out there for a while already) and seems like a really nice choice for making a silent system.

I've got a few questions about it:

1. The side panels are hollow on the inside, and apparently can be opened up by just a bunch of screws? If this is the case, these could be filled up with sound-dampening material, aswell as sticking even more sound-dampening material on the inner side of the panel? (so that means, double sound-dampening!)

2. Is it possible to properly cover the inside of the front door with sound-dampening material?

3. Anyone able to compare it with another case in terms of silence?

Xeanor

Post by Xeanor » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:08 am

Oh, and here's a link to one of the very few reviews of this case: click

Riffer

Post by Riffer » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:20 am

I have one.

1. Don't know, probably not necessary. The panels are pretty heavy.
2. Yes.
3. A lot easier to quiet than my old Coolermaster ATC-110, primarily because of the 120mm fans versus 92mm.

I don't know what you are planning to run inside, but I have set mine up with a Nexus LXM-8200, 2xNexus 120mm Intake fans, Corsair 520HX PSU, XFX 4830, and a Seagate Cheetah 15k.4 and it is pretty quiet. Not quite silent, but that is my choice, as I like to keeep things cool so I run the fans at 1000rpm versus 800.

There are a lot of possibilities for improvement. My main mod was to remove the drive cage to improve airflow into the case. I have the Cheetah sitting in the bottom of the case on Sorbothane to reduce vibration.

All I can say is that it is the first case I have had where I can't hear my SCSI drive, not even the seeks :!:

Xeanor

Post by Xeanor » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:55 pm

Planning to run it with a passively cooled cpu, Corsair HX620, GTX260 55nm, and a SSD + 2x 1TB or 1x 2TB hdd. And some suitable casefans with a fan controller.

Might end up with more hdd's than that though, which is the reason I want to know how much can be done with sound dampening.

The best thing about using a SSD is being able to just use the normal hdd's for storage and turn AAM on without being bothered about performance. :)

Riffer

Post by Riffer » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:48 pm

Well you have a 120mm right behind the CPU, so that should help.

One annoyance was that there is a horizontal metal plate between the second and third (from the top) 5 1/4" bays that precludes the use of two bay devices that extend more than two inches or so into the bay. I couldn't find a way to remove it without drilling out some of the rivets holding the front plate on, so I left it. I was thinking of putting an EX-23NB or something in there. I could have put it in the top two spots, but it would have ruined the aesthetics :)

If you buy the case, buy 4xM3 thumbscrews to replace the screws holding the front of the case on. You need to remove the front to clean the fan filters and do other work in there, and it makes it a lot easier. You can get them at Performance PC's and other places.

The tolerances are extremely tight on the power supply hole. I had to disassemble a Seasonic PSU that hadn't been put together quite right and do some bending of the metal cover to get it to fit.

Other than those few annoyances, I am quite happy. I really like the width inside the case. Plenty of room.