s-flex, speedfan, oh my

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dereksbelanger

s-flex, speedfan, oh my

Post by dereksbelanger » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:20 am

Hi !

I just replaced the stock fans in my P182 with a Scythe S-Flex (800 RPM).... It's still too loud :)

Since the S-Flex fan is attached to the motherboard I thought I could adjust its speed with Speedfan, but so far I havnt been able to get that to work (though I can control the 4pin CPU fan).

Is it possible to control the speed of a 3pin fan conected to motherboard using speedfan? ...or is there another way to do it?

Thanks!

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:36 am

I dont want to incur you extra $$$ but really you should just use a fan front bay fan controller.

One controller, like a 3 1/2 bay one, will last you about 10 years worth of joy.

speedfan sux.

ACook

Post by ACook » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:22 am

It is certainly possible, but you're not telling us which motherboard you're using, and which fan header it's connected to.

Not all fanheaders on all mboards can be controlled.

You can try finding out by going to Configurations/Advanced and in the dropdown select usually the top one, and put all the fans on software controlled, and start dialing down each fan. don't forget to tick the Remember it box, it has the habit of forgetting the settings.

Modo

Post by Modo » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:58 am

Go to Configure > Advanced, choose the chip of the motherboard, and change the settings for PWM modes. In my case, "Software controlled" works with 3-pin fans. Might be different in your case (this seems to depend on the specific motherboard one has). Don't forget to tick "remember it", once you've found the right settings.