Are you aware that you're going to die ?

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Cov

Are you aware that you're going to die ?

Post by Cov » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:09 am

Everything passes and vanishes.
Everything leaves a trace.

You often see in the footsteps, what you could not see in the face
You were born. You have grown up.
You're filling out the gap your parents filled out before.

You live your life, acknowledging that you will die at one point, but isn't it only fictional since you have never died before ?
So, how can you appreciate something you're are not conscience of ?

What if you knew that you only had a few days left to live ?
Who would you call and what would you say ?

And why aren't you doing it ?

InfyMcGirk

Post by InfyMcGirk » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:39 am

I thought I was having a heart attack early last year. Turned out I had viral myocarditis. Even so, it was a scary time for a while and reminded me of my mortality. I'd like to say that I'd followed through with all the things I promised myself I'd do to 'sort my life out'... but all that's really changed is that I've quit smoking. :roll:

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:23 am

You become more aware when people your own age or younger start dying.

What would I do? Well tell me do I have enough time to go see Australia? And am I in pain? I may just want some good drugs.

If it's like 2 days I may go to a big city and test drive some exotic cars, expensive chocolates, and some exotic women. There's a recent full range ribbon loudspeaker I would like to hear for an afternoon. 8)

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:53 am

aristide1 wrote:There's a recent full range ribbon loudspeaker I would like to hear for an afternoon. 8)
Not of Greek origin by any chance?

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Are you aware that you're going to die ?

Post by xan_user » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:17 am

Cov wrote:

Who would you call and what would you say ?

How did we ever lead real "lives" before Alexander Bell?

:lol:

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:50 am

peteamer wrote:
aristide1 wrote:There's a recent full range ribbon loudspeaker I would like to hear for an afternoon. 8)
Not of Greek origin by any chance?
I forgot the company name, but you may be correct. I know they managed to address the issue their predecessor Apogee had with extremely low impedance. The originals went below 1 ohm at high frequencies. Mating them to tube amps was a bit of a stretch.

Odd, this came up on a Google search but not the new company:
http://stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/911/

Newer materials really help the cause. I met Mark Levinson a few years back at a book signing when he was still married to Kim Catrall. He made hybrids at the time, conventional speakers with ribbon tweaters. So I asked him if a full range ribbon was in my future. Immediately he stopped talking and starting thinking. His wife wondered what happened, I said he's in design mode right now. 8)

Yeah and she's as gorgeous in person too.

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:45 am

If it's this then you are in for a treat if driven correctly.

Had that pleasure myself.

Regards
Pete

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:27 am

Oh yes, that's the one. Srajan Ebaen gets to audition the best equipment.

I envy you. :D

As seen from the graphs, the Epsilon's minimum impedance is 3 ohms and its maximum is 7.3 ohms. The maximum phase shift is +22 to -27 degrees. The Omega's minimum impedance is 5 ohms and its maximum is 7.9 ohms.
Now this is quite doable with a tube amp if it's set or has a tap for 4 or 5 ohms.

I bought these used, barely over half price.
http://www.nakamichi-schenk.nl/NonNaks_ ... anModE.htm

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:10 am

aristide1 wrote:I envy you. :D
Nothing to envy... I envy you not having 'heard', you are the one that is 'better off'... :lol:
(Bug*er... How healthy is my bank balance?..... :? )
ariatide1 wrote:
As seen from the graphs, the Epsilon's minimum impedance is 3 ohms and its maximum is 7.3 ohms. The maximum phase shift is +22 to -27 degrees. The Omega's minimum impedance is 5 ohms and its maximum is 7.9 ohms.
Now this is quite doable with a tube amp if it's set or has a tap for 4 or 5 ohms.
I'm not so sure but don't know.
The ones I heard were driven by a 'PA Solo' IIRC, an awesomely fast and very gutsy (Big AMP's!) PA amp that had been tweaked I believe by John Curl as a design proof.
Had an amazing heatsink that was actually conical, rounded top 'pyramids' that were not smooth to enhance cooling ability.....

The guy that showed me these beauties was involved in the development and had designed some very interesting isolation mounts for amplifiers/CD's etc, to the point of testing the differing insulative properties of different colours of pigment in said mounts (Very interesting! )!!!.....

Due to him I removed all the internal connectors and hard wired ALL the cables (including power) 'straight' in my Arcam CD player :mrgreen: .....

I bought these used, barely over half price.
http://www.nakamichi-schenk.nl/NonNaks_ ... anModE.htm

Enjoy and be happy with.
You know they are more than you 'need'... :wink:

Regards
Pete

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:29 am

to the point of testing the differing insulative properties of different colours of pigment in said mounts
Oh you look up the phrase "anal retentive" in the dictionary and you will find an audiophiles picture as a prime example. Some obsess to the point of losing enjoyment. I don't fit the mold anymore, not counting my Rega Planet my system is all over 5 years old, very little churn. But I never listen on hot muggy days, the air doesn't conduct sound in a pleasant manner.

You really can't believe how important a solid foundation (bass) is to the overal structure of music until you actually have it. Before I thought I could hear a guitar play. After I could hear the whole instrument, not just the strings.

ElCrespo

Post by ElCrespo » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:21 pm

Hmmm..yes..but I don't think about it - life is sweet!

judge56988
Friend of SPCR

Post by judge56988 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:55 am

You never know what's around the corner - maybe some drunk fool in a car overtaking someone on a blind corner. (It's happened a few times on a nasty stretch of road near to where I live)
I might die tomorrow, or I might last another 40 years or more - who knows; but I'm well aware of the fact that I'm going to die - I've had a couple of close calls at work and that really brought it home to me.
I try to live each day as if it might be my last and make the most of it... look at the stars, look at the trees and flowers in your garden, listen to the wind, go out in the rain and feel it on your face - these are things that so many people take for granted but for me they are magical feelings that epitomise life and living.
More than anything though, if you have a row with a loved one, make up before you or they go out or to work or whatever. What could be worse than having a last memory of someone you love be a horrible one.

As to the traces you leave - be nice to people, help them, teach them, it's easy.

And if I knew I had only a few days to live, I'd get some really nice weed, climb to the top of Sca Fell (It's the highest mountain in England at 3000 feet, for you non Brits reading) and sit there for a few hours getting stoned with my wife. I'd also like to finish the book I'm reading to my daughter - "The Amber Spyglass" by Phillip Pullman. We're half way through it and it's the third in a trilogy.