Doubts about my new HTPC

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

porzino

Doubts about my new HTPC

Post by porzino » Tue May 26, 2009 10:51 am

Hi,

After much time and read articles and opinions of a few websites I decided to ride my HTPC.

This HTPC will only use to watch / record TV, films, photos, music, download files and browsing.
No play or office.

I chose the following:

Case: HIPER HMC-A0-2K53A
MoBo: ASUS M3N78-VM (Nvidia 8200) / ASUS M3N78-EM (Nvidia 8300)
CPU: AMD 5050e
Cooler: HIPER HFC-30820-C1 Low profile
Memory: 2Gb
HD: Samsung HD103UJ 1TB SATA2 / Western Digital Caviar GP Green 1TB 7200rpm SATA2
Tuner: DVB-S PCI Skystar2 and Hauppauge WinTV-NOVA-TD Stick

I doubt between these two ASUS motherboards, because my idea is to install MythTV and I have read that linux support in ATI is very bad and also the fact that the AMD chipset only supports 2 audio channels (www. anandtech. com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3430&p=5), and although now I have enough with 2 maybe in the future...

There is only €10 difference between these two MOBO. Personally, I prefer the M3N78-EM and because I will have an extra external firewire port.

My questions are:
- Is it enough with 2Gb?
- Any preference between these 2 hard drives? I prefer the WD (lower consum tahn Samsung)
- Can I play 1080p?
- The Hauppauge TV card, does it have 2 tuners? In some webs I have read yes and in others only 1 tuner. I want to see one TV show and record another, or use PiP.
- What's the difference between this card with WinTV-NOVA-TD-HD-Stick? I thought that to see DVB-T HD you only need the properly codes.

And finally, an Intel alternative?

Any other improvements / ideas?

Hezu

Re: Doubts about my new HTPC

Post by Hezu » Tue May 26, 2009 2:00 pm

porzino wrote:My questions are:
- Is it enough with 2Gb?
Should be, I run my HTPC with just 1 GB RAM...
porzino wrote:- Any preference between these 2 hard drives? I prefer the WD (lower consum tahn Samsung)
If I have understood correctly, Samsung F1 is faster, while WD is slightly quieter and less power hungry. So, it comes into which features you want to emphasize.
porzino wrote:- Can I play 1080p?
Although I have no first hand experience since my TV is just a "HD Ready" model, I see no reason why you couldn't.
porzino wrote:- The Hauppauge TV card, does it have 2 tuners? In some webs I have read yes and in others only 1 tuner. I want to see one TV show and record another, or use PiP.
- What's the difference between this card with WinTV-NOVA-TD-HD-Stick? I thought that to see DVB-T HD you only need the properly codes.
At least that stick notation means that it is a USB device and not a PCI card. And LinuxTV V4L/DVB wiki reveals that the Nova TD model indeed allows to access two DVB muxes at the same time, although looks like the stick requires two antenna cables to use both tuners same time. In case you didn't know. even one DVB tuner can tune to multiple channels same time as long as the channels are in the same multiplex. Personally I think I would skip the sticks and get Hauppauge WinTV-NOVA-T-500 instead, it's dual tuner PCI card (although, strictly speaking it is a USB device in disguise) and requires just one antenna cable input. Of course, that means that if you have also that DVB-S PCI card you will need a motherboard with two PCI slots.
porzino wrote:And finally, an Intel alternative?
Geforce 9300-based Micro-ATX-board + E5200 CPU perhaps?

Greg F.

Post by Greg F. » Tue May 26, 2009 6:06 pm

I have an 8200 board. It has been a good board, but I would not buy one today. When asked to display 1080i on tv the video is not smooth. football games have a little start and stop to them. I think I read that to solve this problem a cpu with a 3600Mhz Hyper Transport is required and there is no 45 watt cpu with a 3600HT. Oddly enough it displays 1080p fine.
The 9300 is a very good integrated board, but requires an Intel cpu. They are not 45 watt, but perhaps can be undervolted, I don't know.
IMHO the best solution today is an AMD 790 with the 45 watt cpu you wish. At one time I did think that the nVidia Purevideo yielded a better picture than the ATI graphics, but now I think there is little to no difference.
I would suggest 9300 or 790 and you can read about them on SPCR.

porzino

Post by porzino » Wed May 27, 2009 1:40 am

Thanks for the answers.
Hezu wrote: At least that stick notation means that it is a USB device and not a PCI card. And LinuxTV V4L/DVB wiki reveals that the Nova TD model indeed allows to access two DVB muxes at the same time, although looks like the stick requires two antenna cables to use both tuners same time. In case you didn't know. even one DVB tuner can tune to multiple channels same time as long as the channels are in the same multiplex. Personally I think I would skip the sticks and get Hauppauge WinTV-NOVA-T-500 instead, it's dual tuner PCI card (although, strictly speaking it is a USB device in disguise) and requires just one antenna cable input. Of course, that means that if you have also that DVB-S PCI card you will need a motherboard with two PCI slots.
I know about T-500. The problem is the case only has one PCI expansion slot and I will use it for a DVB-S card. The HVR-4000 is not good for me because you can't watch a DVB-T and DVB-S program at the same time. (HW limitation).
Do you know another stick with 2 tuners?
Greg F. wrote: I would suggest 9300 or 790 and you can read about them on SPCR.
I have read a comparison in anandtech about 790, 8200 and 9300. I like 790GX, but it's difficult configure ATI in linux.

I like the 9300/9400 option.
A E5200 it's enough for 1080i?

fuji0030

Post by fuji0030 » Wed May 27, 2009 4:07 am

At atomic that stick characters agency that it is a USB accessory and not a PCI card. And LinuxTV V4L/DVB wiki reveals that the Nova TD archetypal absolutely allows to admission two DVB muxes at the aforementioned time, although looks like the stick requires two antenna cables to use both tuners aforementioned time. In case you didn't know. even one DVB tuner can tune to assorted channels aforementioned time as continued as the channels are in the aforementioned multiplex. Personally I anticipate I would skip the sticks and get Hauppauge WinTV-NOVA-T-500 instead, it's bifold tuner PCI agenda (although, carefully speaking it is a USB accessory in disguise) and requires just one antenna cable input. Of course, that agency that if you accept aswell that DVB-S PCI agenda you will charge a motherboard with two PCI slots.

porzino

Post by porzino » Thu May 28, 2009 6:10 am

fuji0030 wrote:At atomic that stick characters agency that it is a USB accessory and not a PCI card. And LinuxTV V4L/DVB wiki reveals that the Nova TD archetypal absolutely allows to admission two DVB muxes at the aforementioned time, although looks like the stick requires two antenna cables to use both tuners aforementioned time. In case you didn't know. even one DVB tuner can tune to assorted channels aforementioned time as continued as the channels are in the aforementioned multiplex. Personally I anticipate I would skip the sticks and get Hauppauge WinTV-NOVA-T-500 instead, it's bifold tuner PCI agenda (although, carefully speaking it is a USB accessory in disguise) and requires just one antenna cable input. Of course, that agency that if you accept aswell that DVB-S PCI agenda you will charge a motherboard with two PCI slots.
I only have 1 pci slot on the case, so I can't put 2 PCI cards.

Anybody know a card with 2 DVB-T tuners and DVB-S?

croddie

Post by croddie » Thu May 28, 2009 1:42 pm

porzino wrote:Case: HIPER HMC-A0-2K53A
MoBo: ASUS M3N78-VM (Nvidia 8200) / ASUS M3N78-EM (Nvidia 8300)
No good. All previous generation integrated graphics are no good for htpc.
CPU: AMD 5050e
On the AMD platform wait for the new 45nm dual core processors and get a 780G motherboard.
And finally, an Intel alternative?
NVidia Ion: look at the AnandTech and SPCR reviews of the Zotac.
DG45FC+low end 45nm processor will also work.

porzino

Post by porzino » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:58 am

Anybody know a card with 2 DVB-T tuners and DVB-S?