Mass dampen a P183

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Bakkone
*Lifetime Patron*

Mass dampen a P183

Post by Bakkone » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:49 am

I decided to build one last big gaming rig. I went with the P183 and a CP-850. Not sure I made the right choice but anyway...

What I was wondering is if you guys think I need to mass dampen the 183. Im gonna but some of that sonex foam in the case. But should I also put something like dynamat in there or is the case sturdy enough if I use quiet fans. I will try to suspend the harddrives but I don't know if that will be enough. Maybe I should get some dynamat and go with "better safe than sorry". What do you guys think? Did mass dampening do any difference in your P182s?

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:57 am

P18x is very have case. itself alone is around 14 kg's and three layered construction. Dampening really is not needed. P18x's weak spot has been though the top that is prone for resonating from top fan. But with good fan like S-flex top fan resonating will not a be a problem or if you just block the top exhaust.

But generally I don't think you need add mass. Just try case without adding mass if its enough.

Bakkone
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bakkone » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:35 am

Yeah, I was thinking I wouldn't have to remove the MB etc... once I mounted it.

danimal

Post by danimal » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:50 am

i wish that i had a p183, instead of this p180b! i think that you made the right choice.

i was looking at p183's at frys in l.a. last weekend, one thing i noticed is that on the bottom right corner, there aren't any grills for the air to enter, on the very inside of the door section... the grill is there on the outside, but not on the inside... i'm referring to the long vertical edges, not the door itself... if i had the case, i'd be looking to see if i needed to drill some holes in the plastic there... i'd probably clip out the metal grills on the front as well, underneath the filters.

those are minor quibbles at best, on a stellar case... i'm guessing that you'll still have to open the door if you need really serious airflow, but you should be very happy with it... please let us know how it goes.

jonj678

Post by jonj678 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:26 am

If you do go down the mass loading route,

Flashing tape / roofers tape / bitumen with foil cover on one side is well worth a look. It's about 1mm thick, self adhesive, dense, very cheap. The thickness lends itself to application almost anywhere, and the price to using many layers if you wish to.

I bought 225mm by 10m for about £20, calculated it as enough to cover my entire case three times over allowing for significant mistakes in cutting. Available in various sizes, mine had flash band written on it. I'm perhaps halfway through the roll and now using it for fan gaskets as well. Good stuff. Cuts better cold.