Bye bye SPCR community.

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

LodeHacker

Bye bye SPCR community.

Post by LodeHacker » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:44 am

Ok, I'm out of here for reasons solely personal. As this was a worthless topic in the first place, I believe no one cares if I changed the topic from the ground up. Nice time was spent here, but not everything lasts forever. I am not your girlfriend or something that I must tell you that I quit, but I do so now publicly because I know many of you I have had a discussion with via PM, I won't be reading new posts anymore. Also, I just wanted to get this off my chest and I truly understand if you don't care.

If for some reason you want to know why, read here: viewtopic.php?p=471348#471348

Good bye.
Last edited by LodeHacker on Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Matija

Post by Matija » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:24 am

Cassettes were only good for ZX Spectrum games.

LodeHacker

Post by LodeHacker » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:52 am

Matija wrote:Cassettes were only good for ZX Spectrum games.
You never had a Datassette? :D

N7SC
Location: Sunny Florida, where dead people vote 3 times in a county they never even lived in!

Re: Rule 911 in life: Don't call cassette the grandfather of

Post by N7SC » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:53 am

LodeHacker wrote:http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/8117619.stm

That he dared to compare excellent technology with cheap Apple crap is beyond me and makes me very furious! :evil:

I'm deeply disappointed. Oh, and this might be the most worthless off topic post ever so now we both are disappointed.
It is not a wothless post, and I'm glad that someone as young as I gather you are is furious about some idiot toddler daring to compare analog technology with the modern digital crap peddled by Apple. What is that little creep doing with his own BBC blog anyway? Why is the BBC hiring some kid who is barely past potty training?

That said, and from a 53 year-old who has been around and involved in audio since the last days of the vacuum tube, the casette was never a really top notch technology. Even at the height of the evolution of the cassette media and the decks, cassettes were no competition for open reel tape. They greatly outsold open reel because of the convenience and the lower cost. Never because of the quality.

On the other hand, the ingenuity of the engineers in trying to overcome the limitations of the narrow tracks on the casette and the low tape speed was nothing short of astonishing. The top of the line decks of the day were both masterpieces of design/engineering and, sadly, examples of how far one had to go to get barely acceptable sound from a casette. The Revox B215 and the Tandberg TCD 440 were what I call "functional sculpture," beautiful inside and out, testaments to human dedication.

If you know your audio history, you will have noticed that I did not praise the Japanese manufacturer of cassette decks whose name begins with "N" and who is considered by many (except those of us who have owed their lousy garbage) to have made the "best" cassette decks. That is because I have owned two of their products and can, by experience, say that they were overpriced, poorly made, junk. I so dislike them and so fear them as some sort of curse that I won't even spell out their name. But I have owned their "700" model, and their whole Mobile Sound System for a car I had back in the 1980's. The mobile deck used the transport from the "Dragon" home unit and was an unreliable piece of junk.

But, no, not a useless post at all, and very, very heartening that a young person appreciates analog technology. Now, for a real treat, see if you can get your hands on a well maintained 30+ year old Revox A77 Mk III or Mk IV, high-speed (7.5 and 15 ips), half-track open-reel tape deck (but, NO Dolby), and some good +6 or +9 tape and prepare to be blown away by what it can do. You'll love it.

LodeHacker

Post by LodeHacker » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:10 am

N7SC wrote:What is that little creep doing with his own BBC blog anyway? Why is the BBC hiring some kid who is barely past potty training?
Absolutely no idea. They ran out of ideas or Apple is paying them... I bet my money on the latter ;)
N7SC wrote:That said, and from a 53 year-old who has been around and involved in audio since the last days of the vacuum tube, the casette was never a really top notch technology.
I understand, but it should be noted that cassette was one of the biggest to influence the Hi-Fi culture.
N7SC wrote:If you know your audio history, you will have noticed that I did not praise the Japanese manufacturer of cassette decks whose name begins with "N" and who is considered by many (except those of us who have owed their lousy garbage) to have made the "best" cassette decks.
Not the N word! I know who you mean with that, my father owned two decks from them and I believe we still have the other laying around somewhere (don't ask what happened to the other unit :P ).
N7SC wrote:But, no, not a useless post at all, and very, very heartening that a young person appreciates analog technology.
Why, thank you! I believe that if done properly with good equipment, analog can and will get past the digital domain in terms of fidelity and quality. I would love to own an open reel multitracker for example, but the units are way too expensive for my taste. I collect analog audio equipment as a hobby, but my collection is pretty small. Although many experts (read: magazines) say that digital sound is clean, I really prefer music to have that analog saturation/color and the warmth, because otherwise it simply is not a joy to my ears :( . I have been trying to find a way to have that "analogue feeling" in my digital recordings, but no software can provide the real deal. Ended up using a C-cassette recorder to record my tracks, dub to another cassette and finally transfer the audio back to the digital domain. Once dubbed the track sounds much better :mrgreen:

- Lode, a 17-year-old musician with a passion for analogue equipment.

qviri

Post by qviri » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:21 am

LodeHacker wrote:
N7SC wrote:That said, and from a 53 year-old who has been around and involved in audio since the last days of the vacuum tube, the casette was never a really top notch technology.
I understand, but it should be noted that cassette was one of the biggest to influence the Hi-Fi culture.
Bigger than the CD, the last physical factor, the format that could not be topped, not for the lack of trying?

Anyway, if comparing a top of the line Walkman with the cheapest little DAP ever made (and Apple is far from the bottom here, I suspect), the outcome is obvious. Compare a top of the line Walkman with a top of the line DAP with good sound quality, and I don't believe tape stands a chance, "warmth" or not.

LodeHacker

Post by LodeHacker » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:42 am

qviri wrote:Compare a top of the line Walkman with a top of the line DAP with good sound quality, and I don't believe tape stands a chance, "warmth" or not.
Of course, you give a free choice for a digital audio player, but limit the choice of the analog counterpart to Walkmen. Class-A analog high end equipment kicks your digital ass away :mrgreen:

N7SC
Location: Sunny Florida, where dead people vote 3 times in a county they never even lived in!

Post by N7SC » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:53 am

Lode, have you ever checked out http://www.homerecording.com? They have a good forum that you might find interesting, as a musician that does his own recording.
qviri wrote: Bigger than the CD, the last physical factor, the format that could not be topped, not for the lack of trying?
Many of us consider the CD (44.1KHz/16 bit) the medium that ended the Hi-Fi culture and brought in the era of the low-fi culture for the deaf and ignorant masses that could not, or would not take the time to develop their hearing and appreciate accuracy in sound reproduction. Can you say high-frequency phase shift? The industry used Nyquist and his asinine theory as an excuse to promote the lowest possible quality medium because it was cheap for them and promised higher revenue. Period.

The cassette is actually proof that the masses go for what is convenient at the cost of giving up quality: The cassette outsold open-reel tape massively because it was convenient, and, in the light of our discussion of portable digital audio players, the cassette is portable (which open reel sure isn't). Cassette sound quality, as compared to open reel, simply is not there. Further, open reel never really caught on before cassettes because it was even more hassle than phonograph records (threading tape, etc. vs. just plopping a disc on a turntable. Also easier to locate a given track on a vinyl lp). This was so even though good quality pre recorded tape on a good, high quality deck could easily out perform a vinyl record, and had no surface noise. But, also, note that in the evolution of pre-recorded open reel media, the public eventually forced a change from 7.5 ips to 3.75. Why? Because it was easier to fit more music on a reel, and it kept the cost (amount of tape used) down. Again, for the idiot masses, convenience trumps quality. This story is being repeated in grand style with the digital audio players today.

LodeHacker

Post by LodeHacker » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:12 am

N7SC wrote:Lode, have you ever checked out http://www.homerecording.com? They have a good forum that you might find interesting, as a musician that does his own recording.
I used to frequent that forum actually :lol:
N7SC wrote:Many of us consider the CD (44.1KHz/16 bit) the medium that ended the Hi-Fi culture and brought in the era of the low-fi culture for the deaf and ignorant masses that could not, or would not take the time to develop their hearing and appreciate accuracy in sound reproduction.
Talking about the death of fidelity, need I mention loudness war in more detail? I consider the CD to be a cheap perversion of what could have been a real evolution in the Hi-Fi culture; instead of further developing that culture, it let it have a silent death.
N7SC wrote:The cassette is actually proof that the masses go for what is convenient at the cost of giving up quality
Actually I believe that is only half of the story. Dolby Noise Reduction and systems from competitors fooled people into thinking that the cassette can provide higher fidelity than expensive audio equipment. Compare to Sony MiniDisc and ATRAC if you like. Cassette is not only more convenient however, the complexity of reel-to-reel recorders made them unattractive to potential audiophiles. It's in the end about having the music you love melt to your heartbeat for satisfaction. What higher fidelity can, is to raise the level of satisfaction and yes, I've had the pleasure to spend a full 24 hours in a professional recording studio to master my music. The analog warmth just makes you cry like when cutting onions :'( They are however, wonderful tears of joy :mrgreen:

P.S. Do I sound too emotional? :mrgreen:

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:46 pm

I am fine aslong they do not insult the vinyl...

qviri

Post by qviri » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:01 pm

LodeHacker wrote:
qviri wrote:Compare a top of the line Walkman with a top of the line DAP with good sound quality, and I don't believe tape stands a chance, "warmth" or not.
Of course, you give a free choice for a digital audio player, but limit the choice of the analog counterpart to Walkmen. Class-A analog high end equipment kicks your digital ass away :mrgreen:
I meant a portable DAP. Feel free to compare it with the highest quality portable analogue equipment.

spookmineer
Patron of SPCR

Post by spookmineer » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:03 pm

Audio, much more than any other media it seems, is of personal taste. As long as people still have to hear a piece of hardware in order to say if it's any good - as opposed to just looking at the specs - and as long as reviews will only be able to point in a certain direction, it will stay personal taste.
Some will argue a specific setup matched with a a certain high regarded set of speakers will ruin it: they have to be "matched". I feel sorry for these people, for they will never find what they are looking for.

My dad had a high-end vinyl player, but when he finally bought a second generation CD, he never went back. He used one of these moisturising tube/brushes on his vinyl to keep them from scratching and to keep the white noise down. He still has his records stashed away somewhere though. You never know, I guess.

He cringed when he first saw DJ's scratch vinyl and he still does.

N7SC

Post by N7SC » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:15 pm

Spook, I think you are going in the right direction with this.

But, before I elaborate on that, please let me clarify that I have nothing aginst digital recording and reproduction of sound, but rather against the compromises that were made in the early days of setting the standards. In part those compromises were necessitated by the level (low, by today's standards) of technology then. Unfortunately, now that much higher levels of technology are available, the public, the equipment manufacturers, and the recording industry have all show a strong preference to move in the direction of more convenience/portability rather than in the direction of higher quality sound recording/reproduction. In short, the lousy quality of the CD, 44.1KHz sample rate and 16 bit bit-depth, and the even lower quality MP3 and other "portable" formats (chosen in the early days of portable digital sound because of their small size and the relatively small size of portable digital storage at the time) is what I dislike. The technology is here to record, distribute, and reproduce sound at far better quality levels. For example 2-channel stereo at a sample rate of 192KHz and 24 bits. It is called DVD-audio or DVD-A. And, if the demand was there, it could be done very nearly as cheaply, and as portably as the CD and MP3 players that are ubiquitous these days, given the huge advances in technology since the early days of digital and portable digital audio.

As Spookmineer says, if I read his post correctly, it is a personal matter. And many factors influence each person's choices in audio. In my case, I have superb hearing, well beyond the normal. And I have the audiometry test results to prove it. I have also taken the time to learn to listen and have trained my hearing as much as I possibly could. Further, I don't choose to compromise just to be able to carry music around with me everywhere I go. To me there is a time and place for relaxing and fully enjoying music. And that is not when I am trying to cross a street, walk down a sidewalk, etc. In that respect, the popularity of the portable digital players is, in part, a reflection of the changes in the pace of life and its demands on people since I was young. Perhaps other people's hearing is not as acute and accurate, they did not train what they had, or they just don't care. Perhaps they make compromises in order to have music when they are walking down the sidewalk, or crossing a street. The choice is theirs. Unfortunately the shear numbers of the public making the choices they do has made top-end equipment that meets the requirements of people like me very rare and expensive. And recorded media of that high quality similarly rare.

N7SC

Post by N7SC » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:27 pm

LodeHacker wrote:It's in the end about having the music you love melt to your heartbeat for satisfaction. What higher fidelity can, is to raise the level of satisfaction and yes, I've had the pleasure to spend a full 24 hours in a professional recording studio to master my music. The analog warmth just makes you cry like when cutting onions :'( They are however, wonderful tears of joy :mrgreen:

P.S. Do I sound too emotional? :mrgreen:
No, you don't sound too emotional. That is what good music is all about. To me, music is the language of emotions. I know very well the "tears of joy" effect it can have. Don't the Japanese have a word that translates roughly as "to cry for happy?"

But, the emotional effect of music can certainly be diminished when the reproduction is innacurate, distorted, has noticable artifacts (high frequency phase shift, etc.), etc. On the other hand, as a very well known musician and songwriter has said, all the wizardry possible in a 96-track digital studio is not going to put any heart and soul in music if the music lacks it in the first place. Thus music must have a heart to start with, then must be recorded/distributed/reproduced as cleanly and accurately as possible.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:53 am

Hi,

As the owner of several Nakamichi cassette decks, and a Tandberg TD-20A SE 10" 1/4 track reel to reel, a Linn Axis turntable (and a VPI 16.5 record vacuum), Audible Illusions Modulus 2c (tubed preamp) and B&K ST-140 power amp -- I can say that good cassettes were close to the others, and the best thing in the car (I had a Nak car stereo, too).

The early CD's were/are crap, and the early CD players were pretty awful, too. I can't stand 128K MP3's and even the 256K and the 320K files are noticeably different/worse than the better CD's. 96kHz / 24bit recordings are pretty damn good though, and they rival what my reel-to-reel was capable of.
Last edited by NeilBlanchard on Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shamgar

Post by Shamgar » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:17 am

Last edited by Shamgar on Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:19 am

N7SC wrote:If you know your audio history, you will have noticed that I did not praise the Japanese manufacturer of cassette decks whose name begins with "N" and who is considered by many (except those of us who have owed their lousy garbage) to have made the "best" cassette decks. That is because I have owned two of their products and can, by experience, say that they were overpriced, poorly made, junk. I so dislike them and so fear them as some sort of curse that I won't even spell out their name. But I have owned their "700" model, and their whole Mobile Sound System for a car I had back in the 1980's. The mobile deck used the transport from the "Dragon" home unit and was an unreliable piece of junk.
1. I think the original comparison has to do with convenience. 8-tracks were still too big. Cassettes fit in a shirt pocket.

2. I owned a reel-to-reel deck. If you weren't going to spend big bucks on a higher end unit what you would buy would be one with a couple of hundred carbon resistors and way too much hiss. Less distortion? Certainly. A better imitation a snake? That too. Mine was sold in less than 6 months. What a waste of money that endevor was.

3. I owned a Nakamichi 581, and it could make great sound, but it was far too unreliable. I had a great dealer who backed the machine for years. He must have lost quite a bit of money on it. Today I believe they make Lite-On PC products. And since I've already been burned......

They did have some creative technology. I think the Dragon physically flipped the cassette over and played the other side. Gimmicky but fun. The turntable however still has followers. Why? To a small degree it is able to perfectly center records. Records are routinely not centered, and as long as the error was I think, less than 1 or 2 mm it could center the record. Which was played on a glass platter (really bad idea) and a compromised arm (rather an understatement). Still the benefits of centering would shine through as an image that didn't wander. Some said it made albums more CD-like. Hey, no need to get nasty about it.

But no loss for the young ones, imaging no longer exists in commercial music. Ignorance is bliss, right?

Anyway Nak was never a real audiophile product. Companies that build that kind of stuff know where to spend the money; on quality parts and big-ass power supplies. Nak spent the money on - magazine ads. Oh look there's the power transformer over there, and it's smaller than a walnut. Yeah I'll get great sound of out this unit. :shock:

Darth Santa Fe

Post by Darth Santa Fe » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:40 pm

Cassettes were certainly conveniant in their day, especially for those who like to go places while they listen to their music (even if the sound quality was rather poor). I don't see a problem with comparing them to today's portable players, since it gives a good look at what we had then and now. I wonder what they'll think of next?

What's wrong with the quality of CDs? Maybe my ears just aren't trained, but I find them to have excellent sound quality on a good audio system.

I used to be pretty stubborn about replacing my portable CD player with an MP3 player, but now I don't think I'll ever go back to using one (although I will still use the one in the car). I love my new Sansa Clip player, with its large capacity, long life, and adjustable sound equalizer. And with my Sennheiser HD-280 headphones, I find the sound quality to be absolutely fantastic. :D

LodeHacker

Post by LodeHacker » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:15 pm

Darth Santa Fe wrote:I wonder what they'll think of next?
How to make more useless comparisons? Look, I am fine with comparing analog previous generation equipment with modern digital equipment, but only when it's done professionally. Kick that boy off and have some professional tell the same story and there's no problem. Oh, and when comparing to digital in the first place, PLEASE, no mainstream Apple cr*p. Take something good like iRiver.
Darth Santa Fe wrote:What's wrong with the quality of CDs? Maybe my ears just aren't trained, but I find them to have excellent sound quality on a good audio system.
Hihihi, don't listen to us audiophiles :mrgreen:
We are generally criticised for having the special ability to spot artefacts in the reproduction of audio. Well, we have super powers, but it's a secret :P
Darth Santa Fe wrote:I used to be pretty stubborn about replacing my portable CD player with an MP3 player, but now I don't think I'll ever go back to using one (although I will still use the one in the car). I love my new Sansa Clip player, with its large capacity, long life, and adjustable sound equalizer. And with my Sennheiser HD-280 headphones, I find the sound quality to be absolutely fantastic. :D
No, you don't find the quality absolutely fantastic, you trained your ears to accept low quality compressed rubbish for convenience. You can't put a CD player in your pocket so you wanted something even more portable and now you try to justify the fact that your MP3 player is crap by buying expensive, but over-rated headphones, which will do nothing to improve the already rubbish audio reproduction quality of your MP3 :mrgreen:

P.S. Do I sound too harsh? :P

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:56 pm

Darth Santa Fe wrote:What's wrong with the quality of CDs?
Where do you want me to start? Well actually excellent CDs can be made, but the guy at the mixer thinks he's being paid for each knob-twist.
Maybe my ears just aren't trained, but I find them to have excellent sound quality on a good audio system.
It's a lack of exposure to the possibilities. If you spent an evening at say, Sea Cliff, you'd hate it, because nothing would ever measure up again. Seriously, CDs are like LPs in that their sound quality is AOTP - All Over The Place. And the results are getting worse all the time.

I was going to start a new thread, and still might, but I'll mention this here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

Ironic how the sound "man" makes the sound the least important aspect of his work. Bastards.

Instant gratification has destroyed quality. Yeah, that's nothing new.

* Sea Cliff is home to Harry Pearson and his "system".

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:24 pm

LodeHacker wrote:No, you don't find the quality absolutely fantastic, you trained your ears to accept low quality compressed rubbish for convenience. You can't put a CD player in your pocket so you wanted something even more portable and now you try to justify the fact that your MP3 player is crap by buying expensive, but over-rated headphones, which will do nothing to improve the already rubbish audio reproduction quality of your MP3 :mrgreen:

Well just a tad. The hard sell turns people off. Condescending is bad for business.

Like everything else, some MP3s are better than others. There are audiophiles who listen to MP3s. I have a friend who listens during his morning train commute. There are no alternatives, so I chose that, I don't listen.

If the CD is overly harsh and has a great deal of problems in the top octave (10K-20K) getting rid of that may actually improve the sound. That sometimes happened even on a vinvl to cassette conversion.

Also - Half of the mess going into your ear canals is created by the headphones, so his setup probably is in fact a step up. Better still would be headphones that are somewhat euphonic.

qviri

Post by qviri » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:56 pm

LodeHacker wrote:No, you don't find the quality absolutely fantastic, you trained your ears to accept low quality compressed rubbish for convenience. You can't put a CD player in your pocket so you wanted something even more portable and now you try to justify the fact that your MP3 player is crap by buying expensive, but over-rated headphones, which will do nothing to improve the already rubbish audio reproduction quality of your MP3 :mrgreen:

Ironically enough, you are more than content with the crap resolution and shitty compression of pictures of "babes" you post in a dedicated thread.

You even go ahead and call images of which the largest resolution is 1710 pixels "high resolution".

mexell

Post by mexell » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:09 am

Well, I think, there's nothing wrong with good digital. And with good, I mean something like FLAC files ripped from well-produced media played back on a Squeezebox Transporter to a decent amp and loudspeakers. I think that this combination would have to hide nowhere, compared even to the best available media-based playback equipment.

There's also nothing wrong with high-quality headphones paired with a good portable player - the tipping point is again the quality of the material you're playing. But I for myself have found out that I only use my DAP (in this case an iPhone) for listening to podcasts and other material with information value. I do almost only listen to music while I'm at home.

LodeHacker

Post by LodeHacker » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:31 am

qviri wrote:Ironically enough, you are more than content with the crap resolution and shitty compression of pictures of "babes" you post in a dedicated thread.

You even go ahead and call images of which the largest resolution is 1710 pixels "high resolution".
I'm not a photographer, just pick up good looking pictures and post them there, not for satisfactory purposes, but for fun. I am an audiophile / musician, I value audio quality, not the quality of babe pictures. I don't have time for that and I could care less about the resolutions of the posted images. They look good on my LCD, never guaranteed they look good on yours. Besides, compared to my old 17" TFT, they are high resolution :mrgreen: AND AGAIN, it comes down to personal taste and I *never* described what I think is high resolution. For you it might be a 2K image, for others even a 1024x768 big image... same applies to audio terms.

qviri

Post by qviri » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:22 am

LodeHacker wrote:I'm not a photographer, just pick up good looking pictures and post them there, not for satisfactory purposes, but for fun. I am an audiophile / musician, I value audio quality, not the quality of babe pictures. I don't have time for that and I could care less about the resolutions of the posted images. They look good on my LCD, never guaranteed they look good on yours. Besides, compared to my old 17" TFT, they are high resolution :mrgreen: AND AGAIN, it comes down to personal taste and I *never* described what I think is high resolution. For you it might be a 2K image, for others even a 1024x768 big image... same applies to audio terms.
You and other people in this thread have wasted no effort ripping into people who are too busy to appreciate music, who don't have the training or the ears to value audio quality, who could not care less if a perceived "warmth" comes from analogue data formats or a cheap EQ, and whose personal taste dictates them to like crap MP3 players coupled with expensive and overrated headphones, yet when it comes to "babes", you have no problem accepting pictures containing recent Western society ideal of "beauty", manufactured to fit the needs, the desires, and the LCD screens of the unwashed masses. You accuse others of having trained their ears to accept low quality compressed rubbish for convenience, and then you go ahead and say you think two megapixel crap is "quality". By the way, calling images "quality high resolution" does describe what you think is high resolution.

Do as I say, not as I do, then?

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:25 am

Let's not lower this thread to personal attacks, please!

Please edit your own posts to keep it on topic, and to continue the discussion without being derogatory.

lm
Friend of SPCR

Post by lm » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:04 am

I think an important point is being made, that seems to be relevant to the original topic.

Unless what ever was derogatory was already removed from the thread when I looked at the thread.

So basically, why should comparing cassettes to mp3 be a thought crime if a similar thing on images is ok?

And couldn't the original topic be considered personal against the criticized article?

LodeHacker

Post by LodeHacker » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:38 am

qviri wrote:You and other people in this thread have wasted no effort ripping into people who are too busy to appreciate music, who don't have the training or the ears to value audio quality, who could not care less if a perceived "warmth" comes from analogue data formats or a cheap EQ, and whose personal taste dictates them to like crap MP3 players coupled with expensive and overrated headphones,
Your loss, not mine. Utilize your time reading better topics if you think this one is utter bullshit. Please, be my guest if you want, no one has forced you.
qviri wrote:yet when it comes to "babes", you have no problem accepting pictures containing recent Western society ideal of "beauty", manufactured to fit the needs, the desires, and the LCD screens of the unwashed masses. You accuse others of having trained their ears to accept low quality compressed rubbish for convenience, and then you go ahead and say you think two megapixel crap is "quality". By the way, calling images "quality high resolution" does describe what you think is high resolution.
It never was my goal to seek for high quality images and I never said the images I posted were quality high resolution, just said it was hard to find such. Look, I don't want this kind of personal battle go on and this is not the first time something like this happens. The language takes a big role in the Internet and English is not my native tongue. What I want to say might not come out exactly the way I meant it and likewise I might understand you wrong. There's no idea in continuing this kind of discussion. This is the Internet and people could care less about the person on the other side of the world. Having said this it's the same to me whether you even read my post now or not, whether you check out the babes in the babe thread or not, whether you wish I was dead or not, I could simply care less. In fact I don't care at all. Get something better to do with your time, the debate between audiophiles, videophiles, photophiles and the rest has been going on for centuries and you will not make me change my mind for whatever reason. I personally find MP3 is crap, fine. Accept that or mind your own business. You have your own idea of what is quality and what not. You come over as if I have acted wrong and so I probably have, but if you look closely to the post and what was added there as a post script, you'll see that it all was just a joke. A simple f**king joke. I have no money to buy anything, heck I'm so poor I can't afford bread let alone studio quality gear to brag with. All I can and have did so far is to talk about my own opinions and views on a particular issue. I told publicly earlier in this thread not to listen to audiophiles, I warned people already that all content here will be utter bullshit. Now I wasted yet another 15 minutes writing stupid useless text, while my intention was to have some kind of topic to vent in, not for discussing at all. Look at my first post closely, look at it now. It was not my intention in the first place to talk about this subject, but heck this is off topic and as long as there's nothing personal going on let the discussion continue. You have your own business and so do I. I don't care if you ignore my posts from now on and should you do so then fine, just don't engage in this kind of personal discussion, because it not only breaks the fun of this webforum thing, it makes me sad as well. You shouldn't care about this either and while talking about this let me say I am out of here. ONCE AND FOR ALL. I don't care, you don't care, nobody ever cares. At least I tried and wanted to enjoy my stay here, but people like you have driven me from many forums away. It doesn't hurt me or something nor am I at a loss. All I ever wanted was to communicate with people, to complete my social life with people I don't know so I could understand better how the world looks like. Now what I am asking from you is the slightest amount of respect that you will not try and make yourself look like a hero. You've did nothing else but push a member out from here. I've helped many newbies here, I've even started the official anti-spam thread, just wanted to have fun here so with the hope to have some unusual discussions going on, I started the babe thread. I remember well that my first post here was about sound cards, a small Wiki like post, I got really criticised there, but it didn't make me sad, I just corrected myself in cases of misunderstandings and had a great time learning new from other people. I really like SPCR, but I can continue just reading the articles without entering the forums. I don't need this community and the community is not dependant of me. I don't want to know what you think about my decision right now, was it stupid or childish, I don't care. Now I am officially out of here. Thanks for everything, but no thanks for your way of seeing this subject.

Good bye and best regards,
LodeHacker.

blackworx
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by blackworx » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:52 am

Oooh, looks like I missed a humdinger.

N******** CR-7E ftw anyways.

qviri

Post by qviri » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:10 pm

lm wrote:Unless what ever was derogatory was already removed from the thread when I looked at the thread.
I cannot speak for others, but my posts have not been altered since I posted them. I would be happy to remove any personal attacks.