Quiet 140mm Fans?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

LodeHacker

Post by LodeHacker » Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:19 pm

Here, I made a picture showing the Scythe Kaze-maru (right) and an Aerocool Streamliner (left) to explain the difference between mounting holes:
As you can see, fan blades are equal in size, but the Scythe Kaze-Maru has a different fan housing with mounting holes for 120mm fan mounts. This makes it incompatible with the Antec Three Hundred for example, which uses a 140mm TriCool to exhaust hot air. (Should someone have the Three Hundred and wonder if there's a replacement for the noisy 140mm TriCool, try taking the fan out; it worked for my system without negative side effects.)

Hope this helps :mrgreen:

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:27 pm

LodeHacker wrote: (Should someone have the Three Hundred and wonder if there's a replacement for the noisy 140mm TriCool, try taking the fan out; it worked for my system without negative side effects.)

Hope this helps :mrgreen:
But if you do want to keep aestehtics or for some particular reason a 140mm on top and you're Finn or live somewhere else in Europe where you don't get much variety in 140mm fans, the Sharkoon 140mm 900 RPM fan. Its very good fan. And amazingly available few places behing the God's back in Finland even ^^

Peter check if you can get Sharkoon's 140mm or Yate-Loons. In Britain there should be few shops getting those fans. I can remember which but I've seen mentioning sharkoon anYL's fan in britain by forum members.

Floppy

Post by Floppy » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:55 pm

I'm looking for a low noise 140 mm fans for my CM-690 case.
The following fans are available in the shops where I live:
1. Yate Loon D14SL-12 (regular black)
2. Yate Loon D14SL-12 (transparent with LEDs)
3. Sharkoon S1402590S-3
4. Scythe Kaze Maru (a bit overpriced, I can purchase 120 mm Noctuas for less money)
5. Revoltec RL060 AirGuard.

Currently I'm looking toward the Yate Loon fan because I've heard that they're has a reputation of a low noise fans and they're probably less expensive here. I'd like to ask the owners of the D14SL-12 fans: what the actual starting voltage of these fans because I simply want to plug them to 5 V. Also what would be the best choice from the standpoint of silence: a regular black version or a transparent with LEDs it the case of Yate Loon?
And finally what would be the best choice among the above fans?
Thank you in advance!

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:44 am

YL's 140mm Low's starting voltage is around 7v reliable. Pretty much same as NExus RS 120mm. At 7V its pretty much inaudiable. IMHo you don't need to try 5v for it nor in my experience with two samples it won't even start.

Migi06

Post by Migi06 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:51 am

thejamppa wrote:YL's 140mm Low's starting voltage is around 7v reliable. Pretty much same as NExus RS 120mm. At 7V its pretty much inaudiable. IMHo you don't need to try 5v for it nor in my experience with two samples it won't even start.
Thats why fan controllers need to start at 10-12v and then lower to 4-12v..

I have 140mm fan review link but need 3 posts before . So
www(dot)pc-experience(dot)de/wbb2/thread.php?threadid=28453 (use google translate, cant send that link :/)

zds

Post by zds » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:12 pm

petercrab wrote:Thank samuelmorris.

I have found an Akasa AK-195BL a 140mm fan which I find no mention of of here. http://www.akasa.co.uk/akasa_english/sp ... 195_bl.htm
Has anyone tried this?

I am in need of 140mm fans, but the smaller Akasa fans I've seen were more focused on the looks than quality..