You know you're getting old when...

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

blackworx
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by blackworx » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:56 pm

...you have to scroll down, and scroll down, and scroll down some more to get to your year of birth on a web form :lol:

Matija

Post by Matija » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:47 pm

Pr0tip: select the dropdown and start typing the number.

DanceMan

Post by DanceMan » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:24 pm

Uh, what was the question again?

You know -- the first thing to go is the, uh, the uh..............

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:54 pm

You know you're getting old when things that were soft and pliable start getting stiff.

And vice versa.

alleycat

Post by alleycat » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:50 pm

... and hair stops growing in places it should, and starts growing in places it shouldn't :shock:

Rucker

Post by Rucker » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:49 pm

alleycat wrote:... and hair stops growing in places it should, and starts growing in places it shouldn't :shock:
There's a young barista at my local who is very flrty with me. I keep things in line by referring to myself as a silverback :shock: [/list]

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Post by frenchie » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:20 pm

.. when getting out of the bean bag is an adventure.

colm

Post by colm » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:28 pm

if older is 20 years from where you were...

I must say. I am getting quite hairy. Skinny hairy old man at 36.
if i stayed in the woods for a year, I wonder what hairiness i would emerge. ya know. my mother said this would happen. I never believed it.
:roll:
This thought brought about my opinions on cars. I talk of the 80s like yesterday..it does mean older indeed.

my pc. it could be the first modern over 5 years old that could keep a modern gamer happy today. Has anyone else noticed this? the pc is hanging on longer and longer..what is there to get excited over?

blackworx
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by blackworx » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:02 am

...or 'phones. I have a mobile but rarely use it. It makes calls and sends text messages and has a basic calendar. It's old, and it works, and I have no desire to replace it, least of all with what's available now.

I consider myself a technophile but when I'm faced with one of these all-singing, all-dancing things (iPhone, I'm looking at you, in a "meh" sort of way) I feel like my old man trying to program the VCR, and the first thought that comes into my head is: why? They just leave me cold. Is that an age thing? Nothing bores me more than someone going on about their latest bloody cellphone! (And don't get me started on Twitter.)

nick705

Post by nick705 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:16 am

blackworx wrote:Nothing bores me more than someone going on about their latest bloody cellphone!
Don't get me started. I have a friend who's just acquired an iPhone, and it's now his one and only topic of conversation, mainly the latest spectacularly pointless "app" he's downloaded.

Worse, because I know a little bit about computers, I'm naturally assumed to have an all-consuming interest in (and encyclopaedic knowledge of) every single electronic device which has ever been produced for any reason whatsoever, including, of course, mobile phones in general and the damned iPhone in particular. So I get phoned several times a day, to diagnose (from 30 miles away) the latest problem with the terminally boring thing, why it won't do [insert useless function here] properly... arrghh.

At this rate I'll end up going to my iToolBox, where I'm going to get out my iHammer, and I'm going to smash the blasted iPhone into iFragments, which will cure any further iProblems and hopefully stop any more iPestering. :evil:

alleycat

Post by alleycat » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:08 am

I don't mind the iPhone too much, at least it's plain looking, and I have to admit I am kind of intrigued by it :roll:. I just find so many phones incredibly ugly. Either that or they've got stupidly small keys that can only be pressed with the tip of a fingernail. The other thing is these stupid colour screens that stay black unless you press something to activate them, so you can't tell at a glance if you've missed a call etc. You can't even tell if the battery has died without playing with the damn thing.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:22 am

when I saw a suburban teenager get out of the car and hitch down her pants to a proper sag.

this was over 10 years ago. :(

Zebra

Re: You know you're getting old when...

Post by Zebra » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:55 am

blackworx wrote:...you have to scroll down, and scroll down, and scroll down some more to get to your year of birth on a web form :lol:
Heh, i'm not there yet

blackworx
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by blackworx » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:27 am

xan_user wrote:when I saw a suburban teenager get out of the car and hitch down her pants to a proper sag.

this was over 10 years ago. :(
Lol makes me giggle every time. I saw a full-grown man doing it a few years back and I just thought: oh do grow up you foolish child!

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:43 am

You can't remember your witty reply by the time the reply box comes up.....

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:54 am

When involved in an argument (like in person or on the phone) I may be asked why I did something 2 weeks ago. Why I did it? I can eventually respond, but not instantly. Some things I could respond to without any lag now take a while. The answer may even be better now, but the timeliness is not there anymore.

Other things don't happen instantly anymore either. Going to pee? That's taking on a new higher priority, much to my dismay. :?

DanceMan

Post by DanceMan » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:02 pm

Other things don't happen instantly anymore either. Going to pee? That's taking on a new higher priority, much to my dismay. Confused
Not only doesn't happen instantly, but it's the gift that keeps on giving. :oops:

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:45 pm

DanceMan wrote:Not only doesn't happen instantly, but it's the gift that keeps on giving.
:shock:

There's one thing that hasn't changed. It has a mind of its own. It only changed what it's doing. And when the decision is finally made it's, "now baby! I insist."

It wouldn't be so bad if at least it would let me know when it's done, but noooooOOOOOoooooOO! Fine, just pretend I'm not here.
alleycat wrote:I just find so many phones incredibly ugly.
And cars.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:29 pm

alleycat wrote:... and hair stops growing in places it should, and starts growing in places it shouldn't :shock:
Like on new moles. Not that old moles are passed up. :x

DeltaForce

Post by DeltaForce » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:00 am

...when your favorite songs are in a time-life infomercial :)

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:43 pm

DeltaForce wrote:...when your favorite songs are in a time-life infomercial :)
Or they've been covered, and more than once.

blackworx
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by blackworx » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:51 am

aristide1 wrote:
DeltaForce wrote:...when your favorite songs are in a time-life infomercial :)
Or they've been covered, and more than once.
Or three of them appear all at once, in a "mash-up" by some unpronouncable "urban" "artiste".

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:49 pm

Colonoscopy :oops:

Michael Sandstrom

Post by Michael Sandstrom » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:31 pm

When you've been dead for more than a few days.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:49 pm

When you actually start feeling nostalgic about things. And by that I mean ALL things. Felt nostalgic installing Windows XP, then felt some inexplicable mix of embarassment and epiphany. :lol:

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:25 pm

There are things you wanted to buy your whole life, but you could never afford them. In the last few years you look at some of them and think, "Wow, I can buy that now." And then you realize you really don't care about that item anymore. :?

Oh, and now I know what a prostrate is. Better were the years I didn't know.

Oh, and I remember when bling was called gaudy. I still do.