Antec ISK 300 Mini-ITX case

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

darkb

Post by darkb » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:59 am

Has hooks, shows them in the picture.. Anyways, I forgot to account for standoffs, thought it might fit because the whole case is 96mm tall :(

Any other suggestions for a replacement cooler that'd work well with airflow across the motherboard ?

revoman

Antec ISK 300 Mini-ITX case

Post by revoman » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:26 am

anyone know if this has room for 12.5 mm drives?

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:33 am

This will definitely fit:
http://www.zalman.co.kr/ENG/product/Pro ... sp?idx=133

This one would be very tight but maybe... it's probably possible to remove a few of the top fins and bend the heatpipe so it's shorter.
http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_page/ ... r_hr05.htm

Ditto with this one:
http://www.xigmatek.com/product/air-portercn881.php#2

If you wanted to try it with one of these tower coolers, get the cheapest/smallest, and when bending, do it slowly with padded needle nose pliers (or similar) so you don't puncture the heatpipe.

darkb

Post by darkb » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:38 pm

Hmm.. the HR-05 is 20mm taller than the noctua I was looking at... Do you think maybe I could cut some fins off the top of the noctua and bend the top of the heatpipes inwards ?

The HR-05 doesn't look like it'd be as easy to modify so that the ram stick doesn't touch it, the heatpipe seems to go out further from the centre of the cooler, there's not as much of the fins I could remove for clearance.

The zalman cooler looks interesting, but I was looking for something using heatpipes or made of copper rather than just a block of aluminium, even if it is a sandwich type.. I'm basically looking for something overkill enough for me to never have to worry about ambient temps etc.. can get to 45deg C where i'm looking to leave it.

fyleow

Post by fyleow » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:51 pm

If you want to use the Big Shuriken + Zotac 9300 ITX with this case does the hard drive cage need to be removed in order for it to fit? I know the SPCR review said trying to mount the shuriken on the zotac is a pain but it seems at least possible since slashgyoza was able to do it.

It would be a pretty quite system with an SSD. The shuriken is pretty big and some airflow will also get to the chipset heatsink. You might be able to get away with a single low speed 80 mm Nexus or Noctua.With just 2 slow moving fans as the only moving parts I can see it being a pretty portable quiet setup.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:22 pm

From a PS text box in the review:
POSTSCRIPT on Fitting the Big Shuriken, 16 July 2009

After this review was posted, some forum members noted that a promotional photo from Scythe showed the Big Shuriken mounted on a Zotac 9300-ITX board and wondered why SPCR could not replicate this. The following response from a Scythe contact clarifies this matter:

Big Shuriken on the Mini-ITX Zotac is more of a joke from one of our tech/support person in Japan, he told me it worked perfectly fine in his experiment, but in order to mount the Big Shuriken, you need to dismount the chipset heatsink, mount the Big Shuriken and then mount the chipset heatsink again.

So if you're willing to do this, I'd venture to say the BS will work fine on a system similar to our test setup here.

chero

Post by chero » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:32 pm

Well, despite not really needing a new computer, I decided to purchase this case to give it a try (and as such, if anyone in Western Canada wants to buy an SG05B-F case/computer let me know!). My specs are as follows:

Antec ISK300-65
Intel DG41MG
Intel Pentium Dual Core E5200
Western Digital Caviar Blue 160GB
Nexus 80mm SP802512L-03

As has been mentioned elsewhere, the case could probably be made a little smaller. Appearance is good, and at it's current selling price it feels like a good deal for what you get. When stood up vertically with the included stand, the footprint is nice and small.

The optical drive cover is annoying to open as you have to press it so hard. You have to use two hands, one to keep the case from sliding away. Not very noticeable, but the glossy thin piece of plastic that is applied over top the optical drive cover on mine was applied just slightly out of alignment, so it's corners hang over a bit. Hardly noticeable though.

There is a large rectangular soft blue power indicator light hidden below the front I/O/power button area. I thought this was a really nice touch, and didn't remember any review mentioning it.

The rear I/O shield cut-out on the case may have been slightly off on mine, or the Intel I/O shield is to blame.

I'm using the stock Intel fan, and replaced the case fan with a Nexus 80mm fan attached to the motherboard case fan header. The Intel CPU fan seems to be the only noticeable noise and has a distinctive sound to it (this is my first Intel cpu in a long time). The Nexus fan was a noticeable improvement over the supplied Antec fan.

Cable management wasn't as bad as I invisioned. The worst was the long SATA cables. Some short ones would be a definite bonus. I liked the included cable management ties, etc. Nice touch.

QO

Post by QO » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:46 am

I just got an ISK with a Zotac 630 and a Big Shuriken. For those looking @ getting something similar, you might want to rethink it!

The Big Shurken will only fit if you modify the DVD bay (i.e chop off half of the back end) OR you take off the fan, rotate, and zip tie it @ a angle to avoid parts of the bay

BUT you can't use the 80mm fans at all as the BS sticks out into them. (there might be a work around with slim 80mm fans providing that they're mounted farther away from the metal plate to give the BS more room.) Even then, you need to do things in a specific order for it to work, so think through it before trying to mount.

Anyhow I'm stuck on the stock Intel AL heatsink for now, but the good news is I'm idling @ 30 something celcius and ~ 45watts @ bios e5200. With tigertemp set to 60C and 1 for fan tolerance, the stock intel hsf is @ ~1150rpm, just a bit louder than my 160 gb SATA 5400.3.

I will likely replace the chipset hsf with a Zalman ZM-NB32K, as it feels quite hot even at idle. Seems like there's a chance it'll fit with a BS, but who knows.

Pics + more to follow when I install Win XP and maybe the BS. I'll be looking more closely at power consumption/temps/noise...

candre23

Post by candre23 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:01 am

QO wrote:I just got an ISK with a Zotac 630 and a Big Shuriken. For those looking @ getting something similar, you might want to rethink it!

The Big Shurken will only fit if you modify the DVD bay (i.e chop off half of the back end) OR you take off the fan, rotate, and zip tie it @ a angle to avoid parts of the bay
Can you be a bit more specific? I'm looking to do exactly this setup, since no other CPU cooler also provides adequate (and quiet) GPU cooling.

Exactly how much does the Big Shuriken intrude into the case fan cage? Would a slim fan like 15mm deep SilenX IXP-52-11 (can't post links yet) fit if spacers were used to push the fan to the back of the cage away from the cooler?

The optical drive cage looks like it should clear the Big Shuriken. Which part of it hits and by how much? Could you cut away the interfering parts and still use an optical drive in the case?

Thanks for your help.

reboot

Post by reboot » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:06 am

QO wrote:I just got an ISK with a Zotac 630 [...]
I'll be looking more closely at power consumption/temps/noise...
Oh, yes please. I'll be looking forward to see those numbers.
(Maybe a few benchmarks too? :o)

QO

Post by QO » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:32 am

candre23 wrote: Can you be a bit more specific?...
Actually, I'm probably going to forgo the Big Shuriken. The temperatures, I see in Speedfan are surprisingly low (maybe I got lucky). But to answer your questions, the fan on the Big Shuriken coincides with the part circled in red (pic below). From what I experienced, the Big Shuriken should fit if that bit of the drive cage is cut off. I would leave the other side of the cage intact to provide stability for the DVD/HDD. Also, the DVD drive should fit just fine. The other alternative I was talking about is shown in green, where the fan is rotated, and probably zip tied.

(Thanks for the pic Chero...my gf has my camera :P)

As for the 80mm fans, you'll need a rather long (or thick) spacer as the Big Shuriken needs a bit of clearance. But since the cage was designed for 25mm thick fans, you should have up to 10mm of clearance if 15mm fans are used, which is enough. The challenge is how to space them that far away.

QO

Post by QO » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:51 pm

reboot wrote: Oh, yes please. I'll be looking forward to see those numbers.
(Maybe a few benchmarks too? :o)
I actually typed it up a few days ago, but a thunderstorm restarted my computer before I could post it :(.

Anyhow this is my configuration:
Antec ISK300-65
2x80mm Thermaltake Orange Case fans @ 5v (These are different than what they sell - it came with an old case. They're much quieter than the HDD/HSF and they start everytime @5v, so no complaints :p)
Intel e5200 R0 stepping
Stock Intel AL Heatsink @ 1175 rpm
Corsair CM2X2048-6400C5 @ 5-4-4/1.8v
Samsung SN-S083A DVD Writer
Seagate 5400.3 160GB SATA HDD (Pulled from a HP notebook.)
Windows XP MCE

I used Speedfan to read temps and a blueplanet energy meter to take power consumption readings at the outlet. Ambient temps are ~21-24C.
Temps were taken with the case standing up (i.e taller than it is wide)

Undervolted, I managed to achieve 27-30w idle @ Windows and 47-50w with Orthos running for 40 mins. With both Orthos and rthdribl (full screen), I read 60w on my meter, which is excellent. Temps ranged from 36C-50C. However, you absolutely HAVE to undervolt! My e5200 is running 1.1v from 1.25ghz to 2.5 ghz.

At stock voltages, I idled at the same wattage as Windows automatically undervolts to 1.1v and downclocks to 1.25ghz. However, with Orthos running, power consumption fluctuated around 63w. Temps ranged from 36C-61C. Once I fired up rthdribl, it reached 75w. If the DVD drive was spinning up and you have more USB accessories attached, 80+ watts is very much possible and scary to think about...considering the power adapter is rated for only 65w.

I used RMClock to undervolt since no options were available in the BIOS. However, an option for higher RAM voltages (1.8v+) is available with a BIOS update.

I'm kind of lazy with the benchmarks right now, but Super Pi to 1M took 23.609s, which seems a touch slower than what I see online with the same CPU. But given the size, I'm happy :P

As for the noise, the loudest things in the ISK right now are the stock hsf and the HDD. It's definitely audible over ambient noise in my room but it's still be pretty quiet for most folks.

On a side note, my temps seem kind of low compared to others, but what I read in speedfan and the BIOS seems to correspond. Maybe I'm just lucky...

In the end, it's feasible to build a Core 2 Duo system around the ISK, even if you consider worst-case power consumption, but you'll need to keep a close eye on whats eating electricity and undervolt! I'd actually recommend a powered USB hub for your most hungry accessories - They could eat 5w+ together.

reboot

Post by reboot » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:34 pm

Okay, money spent, joy awarded.

I just copied chero's config (Noctua fan included) just instead the WD scorpio blue, and due to his recommendation, I got the black (7200 rpms), and... Now I know what SILENCE really is, not what I bought from Shuttle 6 years ago.

The case is very picky when mounting: I really hated the plastic protection that goes next to the case fan (nearly impossible to detach) and the heatsink fan connector is quite difficult to reach if you have already installed any memory modules. But, as the reviewer said, the edges of the case are rounded, so no fingers were damaged during the assembly :D

Power led comes with a three pin connector so I had to exchange it with the reset switch one, since there wasn't enough space to insert it (frontal panel connections in the DG41 are so near to sata ports that there's no free space at all between them)

Too many cables come out from the PSU, but the case comes with all sort of things to organize them.

I'm scared with the power brick since it gets hot when watching x264 @ 1080p, maybe 65w get somewhat short, even with voltage ramped down to 1'1v (my VID minimum)

Anyway, what it really scared me about the X4500 + E5200 combo was the fact that I wasn't really sure if that would be enough to move 1080p movies. But it did. Watching some 720p videos didn't make CPU go further from 15% and 6x multiplier.

This is my first *REAL* HTPC. Now I just need a remote. Which one would you recommend me? :)

PS: I couldn't have true temperature readings under Windows, since Speedfan and RMClock kept on saying CPU was 38º when BIOS said it was around 62º.
Last edited by reboot on Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

candre23

Post by candre23 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:58 pm

QO wrote:Actually, I'm probably going to forgo the Big Shuriken. The temperatures, I see in Speedfan are surprisingly low (maybe I got lucky). But to answer your questions, the fan on the Big Shuriken coincides with the part circled in red (pic below).
Thanks for the pic. I'm still going to give it a go by cutting away part of the drive cage. Since I will be using the Zotac 9300 ITX motherboard and the GPU gets pretty hot, I need a cooler that will blow air directly on it. The Big Shuriken looks to be the only cooler for the job.

As for fan spacers, I have every confidence that I can work something out. :) If it comes to it, I can always just drill a couple holes on the outside of the cage and zip-tie them in place.

Merlinen

Post by Merlinen » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:01 am

ATM i am using a E7200 with Zotac 9300 board and got a Big Shuriken on the way.

But atm i have no case but i am planning to order a Antec ISK 300 as soon as i can find a decent shop here in Sweden that have it.

Think i ain't gone use any case fan's, hope it won't get to hot.

I will post some pics when i get the case, now it's youst running with no case on the table.

The spec is gona be :

Zotac 9300 (have)
E7200 (have)
Scythe BIG Shuriken (in the post office)
WD 320gb black 2.5" (have)
Sony Optiarc BC-5600S (on the way)
Antec ISK 300 (searching for it)
PicoPSU tx150 (have)

reboot

Post by reboot » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:29 am

Sony Optiarc BC-5600S
Hmmm, a slot-in drive. That's quite a touch of style.

BriAnNaXoXo

Post by BriAnNaXoXo » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:34 am

its a very good case

Parappaman

Post by Parappaman » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:38 am

Hello, long time reader here, first time poster! :D

I'd like to know if there is any way to mount a single 3,5" hard drive inside this case instead of the two standard 2,5" ones. :)

Merlinen

Post by Merlinen » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:48 am

Now i have mounted the Big Shuriken on the Zotac board.
Sins it have nothing to do with this case i will post pics and all the stuff/trubble i got mounting it in the Cooler sub forum.

Will post pics and stuff about geting all the stuff inside the Antec ISK-300 asoon as i get the case, haven't find any decent retailer here in sweden that have it :/

Edit:
viewtopic.php?t=55204

Parappaman

Post by Parappaman » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:12 pm

Parappaman wrote:Hello, long time reader here, first time poster! :D

I'd like to know if there is any way to mount a single 3,5" hard drive inside this case instead of the two standard 2,5" ones. :)
Found this info elsewhere on this same board. Damn me. :lol:

Well, now all that I need to do is deciding between the Atom boards or the more powerful and power-hungry 775 ones... not an easy task! :?

mark314
Friend of SPCR

Post by mark314 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:07 pm

Merlinen wrote: Zotac 9300 (have)
E7200 (have)
PicoPSU tx150 (have)
I just built something similar with this case. No pics yet as it's a work in progress.

Zotac 9300
E7300
Stock cooling, for now
OCZ Vertex 30Gb
Sony Optiarc BC-5600S
stock 65W power supply

Be careful with the slot blu-ray. Don't tighten the screws all the way, otherwise it won't eject. You have to tighten and then give them each two full twists to loosen. If it does jam, it's too tight. What I found was, sometimes it would eject and then not recognize that it had ejected, so that you couldn't put a new disk inside. My fix was to press the eject button as I pushed in a new disk.

Apart from that, cable clutter at the moment, but my PicoPSU 150W is on the way!

reboot

Post by reboot » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:56 pm

Parappaman wrote:

Well, now all that I need to do is deciding between the Atom boards or the more powerful and power-hungry 775 ones... not an easy task! :?
I had the same dilemma, because I wasn't sure if I wanted the computer to be switched on 24/7 and act as a server/leecher or use it as a pure HTPC.

At the last minute I decided I just wanted an HTPC, so I went for a 775, instead the Atom.

Merlinen

Post by Merlinen » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:07 am

mark314 wrote:
Merlinen wrote: Zotac 9300 (have)
E7200 (have)
PicoPSU tx150 (have)
I just built something similar with this case. No pics yet as it's a work in progress.

Zotac 9300
E7300
Stock cooling, for now
OCZ Vertex 30Gb
Sony Optiarc BC-5600S
stock 65W power supply

Be careful with the slot blu-ray. Don't tighten the screws all the way, otherwise it won't eject. You have to tighten and then give them each two full twists to loosen. If it does jam, it's too tight. What I found was, sometimes it would eject and then not recognize that it had ejected, so that you couldn't put a new disk inside. My fix was to press the eject button as I pushed in a new disk.

Apart from that, cable clutter at the moment, but my PicoPSU 150W is on the way!
I have hade 4 slot-in drives before, and none of them hade any problems like that, this is the first blu-ray.

But i have re-place the stock cooler, way to noisy and dosen't cool the chippset.

Realy happy with the big shuriken :)

reboot

Post by reboot » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:59 am

Merlinen wrote: But i have re-place the stock cooler, way to noisy and dosen't cool the chippset.
Really? :shock:
I don't hear it at all (It's an E5200)

Merlinen

Post by Merlinen » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:31 am

reboot wrote:
Merlinen wrote: But i have re-place the stock cooler, way to noisy and dosen't cool the chippset.
I did hear it from about 3m when i was sitting in my soffa, and it was spining in about ~1000rpm, but then i am realy picky about sound.

The big Shuriken in 700 rpm i need to put my head about 20-30cm from the fan to even hear it.

It is the same as came from Q6600 int this test.
http://www.silentpcreview.com/mini-heatsink-roundup
And SPCR did say "This was the loudest of the three Intel stock heatsinks"

mark314
Friend of SPCR

Post by mark314 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:30 am

Merlinen wrote:I have hade 4 slot-in drives before, and none of them had any problems like that, this is the first blu-ray.
Reviewers on Newegg had the same issue. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... &Tpk=5600s
Merlinen wrote:
reboot wrote:
I did hear it from about 3m when i was sitting in my soffa, and it was spining in about ~1000rpm, but then i am realy picky about sound.
The stock cooler for the E7300, which I am using, is really loud. It goes full speed when in my shelf, with the case lid *off*. The case lid is staying off, for now, because otherwise the CPU will sit in the 50-60 C when in use.

It's bloody loud, and it's all that one fan, because there are no other sources of noise in the area (SSD, blu-ray not in use, all other devices off).

Parappaman

Post by Parappaman » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:38 am

reboot wrote:
Parappaman wrote:

I had the same dilemma, because I wasn't sure if I wanted the computer to be switched on 24/7 and act as a server/leecher or use it as a pure HTPC.

At the last minute I decided I just wanted an HTPC, so I went for a 775, instead the Atom.
Well that's the point, you could really go with the Zotac w/Atom even for a HTPC station, as the good OC it provides will make it suitable even to 1080p (2.5 GHz and beyond, with the latest bios which allows CPU overvolting... that's really not bad!).
I'm freaking out trying to imagine my final setup! :mrgreen:

reboot

Post by reboot » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:34 pm

Shivansps wrote: Second, i was planing to wait for the J & W Minix 785G-SP128 and a Athlon 2 X3 or X4 w/45W TDP.
In Spain it's just impossible to find any decent mItx mobo at a reasonable price, so I suppose in Argentina it would be even worse.

Shivansps2

Post by Shivansps2 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:29 pm

I have to create a new user because something strange happened with the last one.

Anyway, yeah i know, it will be expensive... im also considering Zotac 9300+E7400/Q8200.

About the Antec ISK-300-65 i just found something.

Someone know the Antec Skeleton-90? the mini-itx version of the Skeleton with a 90W psu...?

i cant post an image :(

xxx.noticias3d.xxx/articulos/200907/skeleton_mini/imagenes/fuente.jpg

I cant see the last number but its clear that is an MD-135, the same model in the ISK-300, that mean that the PSU incluided in the ISK-300 can give much more than just 65W... you just need to change the AC-DC adapter, with it will be cheaper than going after a PicoPSU...

BTW... maybe the MD-135 mean 135W max?

reboot

Post by reboot » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:08 am

Shivansps2 wrote:
BTW... maybe the MD-135 mean 135W max?
I suppose so.