120mm Evercool Aluminium Fan

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

CoolColJ

120mm Evercool Aluminium Fan

Post by CoolColJ » Mon Sep 22, 2003 3:05 am

http://www.pccasegear.com/prod564.htm

how does it look?

seems like it would be pretty quiet undervolted with good airflow.
Cheaper than the Panaflo 120mm fans here

Tobias

Post by Tobias » Mon Sep 22, 2003 3:42 am

I have the mediumspeed fan of the series (2000RPM, 79.14CFM, 29db) as my only fan (onefan-system) and it works like a charm undervolted to 5V. When at 5V it reports about 1100RPM and is only audible while I sit right next to the puter at the floor. When I sit infront of my screen (3-4 feet in front if and about 1 feet above) the fan I can not hear it. The sound it does emanate is lowpitched and is so far liveable.
With the fanmate at full throttle, the story is a bit different, though. At 11V (max with fanmate) it has a very clear voshing sound, which I guess is as it should, since it moves an incredible amount of air. I have reversed airflow in my case with the fan mounted at the rear exhaust reversed and when I turn the fan up to max I can clearly feel a steady breese in front of my case exceeding any airflow I have felt from any PSU.
When comparing db/CFM this fan is better than any fan MikeC has posted in his list of fans and their airflow and soundlevel according to manufactorer, with a ratio of 0,366.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/modules.p ... =25&page=1

Undervolted you can´t go wrong with this fan. I have experienced no clicking noices, it has no problems starting undervolted, it has low noice and it moves alot of air.

Tobias

Post by Tobias » Mon Sep 22, 2003 3:46 am

*Grin* I just realised that the fan and the duct I made for it is the only thing in my present settup that I do not want to change... It will be awesome in a BTX-case:)

CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ » Mon Sep 22, 2003 8:33 pm

thanks I'll order one and report back on it :)

CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ » Tue Sep 23, 2003 4:40 pm

Well I have the fan, among other goodies. fast service, everything was packed well. Will be doing mroe business with them in the future

But the specs on the back of the fan package is different from the website. Its the same fan as yours by the look of things

Speed - M
RPM - 2000
Voltage - 12
Current - 0.38
Air Flow - 79.14
Air Pressure - 2.83
Noise - <30

not a biggy even better :)

I can't test it yet, waiting on my case/psu etc. But it will be like yours I'm sure.

It's quite heavy, the aluminium frame could act like a heatsink, but it will most likely be decoupled anyway.

Comes with a 3 pin header.

Tobias

Post by Tobias » Wed Sep 24, 2003 2:46 am

thats the same as mine, alright:)

CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ » Sun Sep 28, 2003 3:41 pm

WOW !

I just ran the fan off the Molex to just listen to it at 12V and its very quiet as is! It has a very smooth woosshing air sound, but that's about it.
Great fan!

In contrast the 80mm Panalo M I have has a rather loud hum at 12v!
even though it's rated at around the same Db.....

If anyone wants a quality quiet 120mm fan look no further :)

al bundy

Post by al bundy » Sun Sep 28, 2003 4:45 pm

CoolColJ wrote:WOW !

I just ran the fan off the Molex to just listen to it at 12V and its very quiet as is! It has a very smooth woosshing air sound, but that's about it.
Great fan!

In contrast the 80mm Panalo M I have has a rather loud hum at 12v!
even though it's rated at around the same Db.....

If anyone wants a quality quiet 120mm fan look no further :)
That is good to know, thanks! I will probably try one soon too.

8)

CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ » Mon Oct 06, 2003 10:45 pm

I have a Sonata and the 120mm case fan even when run off the fan output has a low freq resonance. But when I replaced it with the 120mm Evercool run at 5v, wow the drop in noise is pretty dramatic. The only major nosie maker is the Antec PSU, but even that is very low in noise from where I sit, during the day. Seasonic super silencer will fix that. The ZM80 (on radeon 9800 - cools it well even when heavily overclocked!) and 7000alcu at 5v thanks to the Zalman fan controller can't be heard :)
The P4 2.8c I have is overcloked to 3.5 gigahertz too and ildes under 40 degrees :)

That 120mm fan makes a big diffference as far as airflow goes.
Only thing is that I can't use the Silicon fan grommets from the Sonata with it, but if you use a 120mm silicon fan mount then it's no problem. But I mounted mine against bare metal and I can't hear any vibration - 5volts ensures that I guess :)

But then again the Antec fan run at 5volts might be just as quiet :)

CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ » Thu Oct 09, 2003 2:05 am

this fan can run at very low speeds just fine! 700-800RPM (3volts?)and is damn quiet at this speed!

see this thread
http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewto ... 7033#47033

CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ » Mon Oct 13, 2003 2:23 pm

Well I finally have a 4 pin to 3 pin cable so I can finally control my Antec Sonata stock 120mm fan with my Zalman Fan controller.

With the Evercool and Antec fan at 5volts. the Evercool is louder, mostly air rushing turbelence sounds - air rushing roar. But when I put both against my face, the Evercool is sure pushing a ton more air.

The hum levels seems about the same, but the roar makes the Evercool a few DBs louder. The Antec fan has this faint "ticking or rattling sound" very faint though, sorta like a chatter, but you can't hear it unless your ear is right up against it or standing directly behind the case.

The Evercool can run at lower volts than 5, if I double up a Fanmate as mentioned above, and then runs a lot quieter, but it always has more air turblence, and at 3 volts or so doesn't move much air.
The CPU temp does rise 2-3 degrees when I do so. At 4 volts it still moves a lot of air, but not bad noise wise, around 1000 RPM.

So I'm not so sure if it's as good for someone who want's real quietness. But if you want a fairly quiet fan at low voltage that still moves a lot of air then it's a good one.
I certainly can barely hear it from where I sit, well my whole system in general :)

CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ » Tue Oct 14, 2003 4:57 pm

Hmmm The Antec Sonata fan seems a lot more audible to me from where I sit...

Sorta faint droney boom. I never really noticed the Evercool fan at all running at low RPM. I think I will switch back and confirm my suspicions :)

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Tue Oct 14, 2003 5:14 pm

I 5v my 120mm antec fan and it is now inaudible unless you put ur ear right beside it

CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ » Thu Oct 16, 2003 6:11 pm

Well I put back the Evercool into my case.

This is what I found, the SOnata 120mm fan can be heard even at 5volts. Not so much air noise, but a sorta muted drone.
It will always spin up even at under 5volts - at least mine does

The Evercool has more turblence noise, but it also moves more air and has no drone. But the Evercool at 900RPM (less than 5 volts which is 1150RPM) moves more air than the Sonata fan at 5volts and can't be heard from my sitting position. Also the exhaust air is much cooler for some reason.

I suspect the mass of the alumium frame does help in this regard.

wumpus
Patron of SPCR

Post by wumpus » Wed Oct 22, 2003 5:46 pm

Hmm, well, just got my Evercool aluminum 120mm. Initial reaction is positive-- minus the whooshing sound of air, the fan itself doesn't generate much noise at all. Seems to be on par or a bit better than the Enermax 120mm, which is quite good, but I'll need more time to play with it.

Man, is this thing heavy! Unfortunately the weight precludes mounting on the Zalman bracket, which was the original plan. :(

I also got a Zalman fanmate, finally, so I have a finer level of voltage/rpm control.

CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ » Wed Oct 22, 2003 5:59 pm

Fanmate only goes down to 5volts though I think :(

I have both a Fanmate (from my 7000Alcu) and a Zalman Fan controller inline, so I can get below 5 volts :)
I set the Fanmate just a bit above where the Evercool won't spin up and then adjust to taste with the Zalman Fancontroller.

Off course a SunBeam Fancontroller can go lower than 5volts.

wumpus
Patron of SPCR

Post by wumpus » Wed Oct 22, 2003 8:19 pm

I'm not sure going down that low in voltage will be necessary. The only noise this fan is generating, so far, is air movement.. which is more than I can say for a lot of my Panaflos (see other thread :roll:)

CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ » Wed Oct 22, 2003 9:35 pm

Well that's what I mean, if you want lower airflow, thus turbulence sound. It just sounds like pink noise anyway. quite soothing :)

I mostly leave mine at 950-1150 rpm

CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ » Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:57 pm

Well I am glad in hindsight I opted for the Evercool. The Panaflo 120mm is both more expensive and lacks RPM monitoring.

Initally I bought it, because I thought I'd have it exhausting the air from the Sonata, and the Sonata 120mm fan sucking. But I don't really need two fans in my system. The Evercool moves more than enough air for my needs at low voltage.

wumpus
Patron of SPCR

Post by wumpus » Sat Oct 25, 2003 12:46 pm

This is a great little fan. After more extended use, I can rate it as the quietest 120mm fan, PER AIR VOLUME, I've owned-- slightly beating out the Enermax 120mm and clobbering everything else (vantec, sunon, etc). There is no discernable electric or mechanical noise, it's all air movement.

Panaflo 120mm x 38mm might be as quiet but moves a lot less air.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Sat Oct 25, 2003 3:37 pm

Stuffed into this oak case, my Evercool 120mm is doing most of cooling. It draws air from the top of the case, pulls it over the board and cpu, around the hard drives, down into the wood case, and blows it out through the PSU which has it's own fan removed.

All this at about 1200 rpm, which is as low as the controller will go. Great fan.

CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ » Mon Oct 27, 2003 4:13 am

Bluefront wrote:Stuffed into this oak case, my Evercool 120mm is doing most of cooling. It draws air from the top of the case, pulls it over the board and cpu, around the hard drives, down into the wood case, and blows it out through the PSU which has it's own fan removed.

All this at about 1200 rpm, which is as low as the controller will go. Great fan.
that's one interesting PeeCee :P

ejl10

Post by ejl10 » Thu Nov 06, 2003 5:33 am

I was at CompUSA yesterday to get a new mainboard battery, and I happened to take a look at their fan section. To my surprise, they actually had the Evercool 120mm Aluminum in a CompUSA badged box selling for $17.XX. It's definitely the Evercool (it has the logo on the fan), and they also have it's smaller siblings. I may have to pick one up next time!

Thought you'd like to know.
Emmett Lyman

Dingus

Post by Dingus » Mon Nov 10, 2003 4:10 am

Did anyone else have trouble fitting this fan to their sonata with the extra short screws that came with it? The screws that came with it are about 6mm long and the fan is 25mm thick... or did i get some kind of mis-pack? (It looked retail enough for me).

CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ » Mon Nov 10, 2003 11:51 am

Yeah, they even had one screw which was one size too big!

But the 3 others worked ok, you don't need to go the full length of the fan, they just bite into the fan and hold it in.

But thinner longer screws to go the full length would work well too, but you would need a set of nuts/washers.

Dingus

Post by Dingus » Mon Nov 10, 2003 5:24 pm

Well now I've gotta make a trip to the hardware store to get the right size screws because i want to use some siliceous sheeting in between the fan and case and the 6mm screws just don't seem to cut it. Even without that bit in between, the screws don't really grip... and i don't want the fan flapping about in my case whenever i crank it.
(sigh) Ahhh nuts.
Still, what a peculiar way of fan mounting they came up with.

CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ » Mon Nov 10, 2003 5:38 pm

Well I have a silicon sheet with mine and the screws work fine :)

chylld

Post by chylld » Mon Nov 10, 2003 5:52 pm

how do those silicon sheets work? do they just sit between the fan and the case?

because wouldn't the fans still transmit vibration through the screws and on to the case anyway?

i understand how the e.a.r isolators work, they fully separate the case from the fan with rubber, but by the sound of it, these sheet thingos aren't?

CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ » Mon Nov 10, 2003 5:54 pm

Yeah basicly, but here is the thing, the fan is spinning so slowly relatively, than when I mounted it bare metal, I didn't hear any vibration. Plus the fan is heavy so that helps. I suspect the light plastic fans will be a different story
Even at full speed, I still didn't hear any vibration.

Tobias

Post by Tobias » Tue Nov 11, 2003 2:07 am

It IS rather heavy, isn´t it? But I guess that is only positive since it means less and smaller vibrations. I have what I think is called rubbergrommets between the fan and the case...