Antec CP-850: Unique PSU with Top Performance

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:44 am

kike_1974 wrote:Did anyone try to fit the PSU in a P180/P182 case (modding the case...)?
Probably don't have to do much, as the back panel around the PSU exhaust vent is already perforated. Maybe have to remove the little platform for the PSU inside.
DAve_M wrote:Looks like the PSU could fit in standard cases by taking up 3 of the 5.25" drive bays. But I think the case will need to be cut a bit on the inside to get it to fit width ways.
Don't know why you'd want to go that far... and the width is the same as any other ATX12V PSU.

Olle P

Post by Olle P » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:15 pm

JamieG wrote:... how the CP-850 would function in one of the compatible Antec cases. I was surprised at how much of a difference there was between the results.
I suspect a similar difference is to be found with most other PSUs mounted in the P183 as well...
JamieG wrote:I wonder if Antec will release more new cases ... to optionally be compatible with this PSU.
I'm sure there will be more from Antec.
The big question for me is if there will be other manufacturers releasing CPX compatible cases and/or PSUs...

Cheers
Olle

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:31 pm

Olle P wrote:
JamieG wrote:... how the CP-850 would function in one of the compatible Antec cases. I was surprised at how much of a difference there was between the results.
I suspect a similar difference is to be found with most other PSUs mounted in the P183 as well...
Yes. Tho with other 120mm fan PSUs, there will be a bit more airflow restriction than with the CP-850 due to the simple geometry -- straight thru vs. right angle turn -- and probably a bit more fan speed up under high load.

JamieG

Post by JamieG » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:12 pm

Olle P wrote:I'm sure there will be more from Antec.
The big question for me is if there will be other manufacturers releasing CPX compatible cases and/or PSUs...
I'd love to see something like an Antec 302 that is compatible with the CP-850. With the P183's PSU adapter bracket, you'd only be adding an inch or so of extra height to the case.

I wouldn't hold my breath for other case manufacturers to follow Antec though. One well-received PSU probably isn't enough to result in any changes in case design for other manufacturers. A few more PSU models in the CPX range might help though! *hint hint Antec* :lol:

While I know SPCR's PSU tests are close to a worst case scenario for PSUs, I was still surprised at the degree of difference in the hotbox vs free air test. I knew there had to be some difference, but just didn't think it would be that much.

cloneman

Post by cloneman » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:43 pm

Once the PSU Fan ramps up (beyond 12dBa "speed"), for example, after a long period of load (gaming session)

How long does it take for the fan to go back down to 12dbA? Or does it ever go back completely down, and to what extent?

Do all PSUs ramp down completely when the load is dropped?

thx...

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:07 pm

cloneman wrote:Once the PSU Fan ramps up (beyond 12dBa "speed"), for example, after a long period of load (gaming session)

How long does it take for the fan to go back down to 12dbA? Or does it ever go back completely down, and to what extent?

Do all PSUs ramp down completely when the load is dropped?

thx...
Good question. It's directly tied to the temperature seen by the sensor in the PSU, and perhaps some hysteresis in the control. This in turn depends on temperature in the case and how well it's cooled. If airflow is good, then the case will cool off fast, and so will the PSU and its sensor, so the PSU fan will slow/quiet down pretty fast.

In PSU testing with the hot box, when the load is reduced from a high setting (say 600W) to minimum or zero (w/o turning it off), I can usually hear the PSU fan start to slow down almost immediately. It may take a few minutes before it gets back down to the minimum if the whole PSU and test box have been cooking -- along with the room. But almost all PSUs go back to the default min fan speed when the load is reduced far enough and the PSU cools down enough.

peterd

Post by peterd » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:20 am

kike_1974 wrote:Did anyone try to fit the PSU in a P180/P182 case (modding the case...)?
yep, though I'm still waiting to install actual PSU, I built a mockup to make sure it fit. So far, no problem.

Along with using a Dremel to remove more of the grill cutout in back, the original mount was replaced with aluminum rect. tubing. Those required small notches so that the hooks on the case side panels still function. Sorbothane will be going under the PSU.

I'm just waiting till I'm within the 30 day window of the release of Win7 to buy the PSU and whatever Gigabyte P55 makes sense to me. Hopefully, there will be no need for a RMA, but to be safe...

My E-MU 1212m will go in for audio, so it will be interesting to hear if there's a small improvement in its output.

:roll:

loimlo

Post by loimlo » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:40 am

I guess there's one more advantage for P183/P193 and CP-850 combination: an outward 120mm fan would act like a middle case fan in P182's lower, seperate chamber to cool not only PSU itset, but also HDDs.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:51 am

loimlo wrote:I guess there's one more advantage for P183/P193 and CP-850 combination: an outward 120mm fan would act like a middle case fan in P182's lower, seperate chamber to cool not only PSU itset, but also HDDs.
Actually, any fanned PSU naturally pulls air through the front vent -- assuming the back ones around the PSU are blocked off -- there was always supposed to be some kind of baffle for that.

mattthemuppet
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by mattthemuppet » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:30 am

what a neat PSU - I guess Antec realised that they had a 120mm fan in the bottom chamber of their P18/9x cases and figured out that they might as well stick it on the PSU instead.

Given that most ATX form factor PCs are now moving towards the gaming side of things, with bespoke or smaller form factors taking over every thing else, the size and power rating of this PSU make a lot of sense.

danimal

Post by danimal » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:53 am

another great spcr review.

now if i could only afford to get one :D

stead

Post by stead » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:33 pm

Was I the only one who saw this psu and thought, easily exchangable external 120mm fan?

Seems like a plus to me!

Bakkone
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bakkone » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:31 am

Do you guys think there is a remote possibility to fit this in a Mini P180? I guess anything is possible with modding... but will I have to ruin the structure of the Mini to do it?

Uriox

Post by Uriox » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:03 am

What would prevent it from being installed in an Antec Fusion ?

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:59 am

Uriox wrote:What would prevent it from being installed in an Antec Fusion ?
Probably not much. There's enough room, use just the 2 bottom screws, don't worry about any minor grill blockage (if any).

denizsi

Post by denizsi » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:21 pm

Could anyone confirm if CP-850's weight is 119 mm, as reported at various pages?

I've just checked and found out that there's some space between the top side of my PSU and the top panel of my case (Lian Li A70). I measured the space from bottom of the PSU to the top panel inside the case and it's roughly 130 mm, give or take 5 mm. If CP-850 is indeed 119mm, I should be able to mount it easily with a little modding.
Last edited by denizsi on Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

lm
Friend of SPCR

Post by lm » Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:07 pm

denizsi wrote:Could anyone confirm if CP-850's weight is 119 mm, as reported at various pages?
Most certainly not. I guess you really meant height instead of weight.

denizsi

Post by denizsi » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:15 am

Ouw, yes, I meant height.

kike_1974

Post by kike_1974 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:26 pm

stead wrote:Was I the only one who saw this psu and thought, easily exchangable external 120mm fan?

Seems like a plus to me!
I thought about that, but I suppose it is not so easy. Probably the screw heads are in the inside part of the PSU (maybe someone can confirm this point, but it seems to me the most likely option), so fan swapping should be pretty much the same as with other 12mm fanned PSUs... you still have to open the PSU and lose your warranty...

denizsi

Post by denizsi » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:02 pm

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?na ... 3&reid=142

Obviously, fan can be removed from outside. I ordered myself one. If anyone's interested, I might be arsed to take pictures after I'll mount it in my Lian Li.

kike_1974

Post by kike_1974 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:46 am

I don't see it so obvious... You can remove the grill, that's the only obvious thing I see. It still doesn't mean that you can remove the fan with those screws. The ones holding the fan in place can still be internal, and it is the most probable situation...

In fact, most power supplys have external screws for the grill fan, and internal screws for the fan itself.

dhanson865

Post by dhanson865 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:09 am

I was more concerned with the power connector than how the fan is screwed in. Even if the external screws loosen the fan that doesn't mean you can get to the fan header from the outside. I'm expecting to have to open the PSU to get at the fan header but I haven't seen a picture that makes this obvious.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:48 am

dhanson865 wrote:I was more concerned with the power connector than how the fan is screwed in. Even if the external screws loosen the fan that doesn't mean you can get to the fan header from the outside. I'm expecting to have to open the PSU to get at the fan header but I haven't seen a picture that makes this obvious.
Absolutely. I would not mess with the fan. No point, so litle to gain.

denizsi

Post by denizsi » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:10 am

Well if you look at the review, you'll see the very long screws for the fan, hinting that it goes through both the fan and the grill.

However, dhanson865 is right about the power connector, and I've just found this post from another forum:
ok well i want to replace the stock fan with an LED one, ive opened it up and the fan wiring has all been soldered onto the fan and the board, and there are four wires.
http://www.overclock.net/power-supplies ... 850-a.html

Enzo_FX

Post by Enzo_FX » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:56 pm

Gotta love Antec. I'm still here on my P150, but the P183 will definitely be my next case. I'm also still on the stock 430w PSU. I find it funny how higher and higher wattage psu's are marketed, yet most components are driving towards a better efficiency and lower power consumption. I guess it makes sense with SLI/XFire, but that's always been a bit too much for me.

The only thing I hope Antec does is sell these things together, I mean at least as an option. They really are meant to be run together, so why not? If it'd shave a decent amount of the cost, then it can only mean this CPX standard will grow right? =P
That's one of the reasons I got my P150 with the included PSU.

Cyron

Post by Cyron » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:26 am

Anyone noticed here the powerconsumption table is showing weird numbers ?

i mean, how can a PSU have 84% efficiency with a load of 249 watt and a inlet of 355watts. The whole table is invalid! :shock:

Would be nice if someone can correct those mistakes...

BillyBuerger
Patron of SPCR

Post by BillyBuerger » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:24 am

Cyron wrote:Anyone noticed here the powerconsumption table is showing weird numbers ?

i mean, how can a PSU have 84% efficiency with a load of 249 watt and a inlet of 355watts. The whole table is invalid! :shock:

Would be nice if someone can correct those mistakes...
Saying the whole table is invalid is a bit of an overreaction. Looks like either the AC or DC parts for 250W-500W is off. Everything below and above that look fine. And based on the values that do make sense, it would seem the efficiency is correct and the wattage is the typo.

danimal

Post by danimal » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:13 pm

it looks like retailers are running out of stock on this power supply... is the cp-850 being discontinued or something?

newegg has been oos for awhile, and amazon stopped carrying it, after raising their price for the unit a few weeks ago.

fortunately the spcr affiliates(mwave&directron) still stock it, but in terms of the warranty, it would be nice to know if antec will be keeping replacement units in stock.

atmartens

Post by atmartens » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:34 am

danimal wrote:it looks like retailers are running out of stock on this power supply... is the cp-850 being discontinued or something?

newegg has been oos for awhile, and amazon stopped carrying it, after raising their price for the unit a few weeks ago.

fortunately the spcr affiliates(mwave&directron) still stock it, but in terms of the warranty, it would be nice to know if antec will be keeping replacement units in stock.
The P183 and CP-1000 also have a combo deal, with $40 off (compared to $30 for the P183 and CP-850), so even if 1kw is overkill you can still go that route.

danimal

Post by danimal » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:06 pm

that cp-1000 is new, i want one, lol

the cp-850 is back in stock everywhere, there must have been a glich in the supply chain.