Custom Cardboard Case

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

barefootzero

Custom Cardboard Case

Post by barefootzero » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:04 pm

I posted my system spec in another thread and someone asked about my Custom Cardboard Case (CCC). It is a temporary HTPC case until I get around to making my final wood one.

Here are some pictures and a description of how I made it. After removing the ATX supply it needs some reinforcement but overall I am pretty happy with how it turned out.

I made the case. At some point when I feel up to it I will take and post pictures. In the mean time here is a basic description.

I started with a cardboard box that was about the correct depth. I measure the width of my amplifier. I then laid the box out in one long strip with flaps that normally make the top and bottom on the sides. I then made the first section one of the sides such that one of the existing creases made the first corner on the right.

The extra box on the left I cut so that it could form the bottom half of the left side.

I then cut the flaps on that first piece to make the front and back of the case making them just a little taller then the side of the case so they could be folded over to form a tab and give some extra strength.

The next section of the box was folded up and then creased to make the top. The tabs on that section were folded over to make the top double thick. The top is actually part of the second section and part of the third. The rest of the third section is folded down and cut to be the full height of the case so it can be tucked into the bottom half of the left I made from part of the first section.

Before assembling I cut all the necessary wholes.

The case is held together with hot glue. I left extra cardboard to make tabs at the corners. Hot glue in the creases helps them stay and makes the box keep it's shape.

The mother board tray and PCI slots are taken from a previous project where I disassembled a cheap tower style case for them. My final wood case will probably not include this component. The DVD-Rom is sitting on a few extra pieces of cardboard to provide a little damping and is otherwise not really held in place by anything but friction. The hard drive is sitting on a piece of foam. The DC-DC adapter is protected by an artfully folded piece of paper.

There is a vent in the top that is a square. A piece of cardboard bent into a square tube serves as an air duct for the CPU fan. A whole in the back serves as an exhaust.

All in all it works pretty well and took only about 3-4 hours to make. The DVD rom stays in place and does not slide back into the case as the front of it is to big to go through the whole I made. This one was made to accept an ATX PSU and PCI cards. I think my next one will not. This will allow the final case to be shallower and maybe shorter. Also I put the DVD-rom in the bottom left hand corner but this makes it easily blocked by stuff in front of the computer. My next model will put it in the top left corner.

cordis

nice!

Post by cordis » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:13 pm

cool, I like it! I never thought of cardboard as a good way to prototype a case design.

spookmineer
Patron of SPCR

Post by spookmineer » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:18 pm

:shock:

That looks pretty engenious indeed.

When I made a simple air duct from card board for the CPU HSF it already took me a couple of hours (no way to see the amount of work that went into it though).

Your work must have taken a day at least... If I would have made it. You did it in 4 hours?!
Good looking prototype.

barefootzero

Post by barefootzero » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:21 am

This is not my first case so that probably helped. The MB tray had already been cut out from a previouse project.

Mr Evil

Post by Mr Evil » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:36 am

This reminds me of Afrotech.

barefootzero

Post by barefootzero » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:18 pm

Thats what happens when you start to collect enough junk. I really like his aluminum foil case.