New design: Concept "Flow"

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

average_joe

New design: Concept "Flow"

Post by average_joe » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:24 pm

Pretty cool. Still a prototype, you can give feedback - just follow the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXyBf0J1 ... r_embedded

"I haven’t decided on a name for this concept but the word ‘Flow’ keeps coming to mind because of the focus on airflow and cooling – maybe some of the forum members can suggest some names?
The exterior:
The exterior is meant to be understated shape with a lot of emphasis on the small details that make the case easy to open and deal with swapping out components. These details include:
Large positive latches that feel great to open, no small components to lose – no worries!
The exterior ports will feature E-Sata, USB, Audio in / out, power and firewire (firewire is favouried mostly with creative professionals which this case may also appeal to).
Removable motherboard tray – I found this to be a desirable feature and looking further into it, seems to make a lot of sense and provides the most space around this important part when doing upgrades.
All wiring will be concealed behind the motherboard tray, but easily accessed through ports situated all round the motherboard back plate.
I haven’t decided on HDD access, wether or not to provide some sort of quick-release system or bays that slide in or out. Personallly I prefere server type bays that HDD’s simply slide into and lock without the need for screwing a tray onto the HDD. I need to look into sound issues around this and also production feasability.
I must stress the exterior is unfinished and will look very different…

Internal:
The biggest aspect of this case is heat and sound insulation. The HDD’s are situated in their own chambers, they each have a seperate airflow, and are seprated in such a way that each hot component doesn’t heat up the other. Also inside this chamber design the sound should be very insulated from the outside.
The motherboard is also in it’s own chamber, so is the PSU. All heat generated by these parts is dealt with by their respective chambers. This allows less fans also. To help with insulation of heat and sound there will be seals the edges of the chambers so when the side panel (s) are on it creates the best seal possible. Of course there will be Chanels for cables so these chambers will not be completely airtight. This design also allows for an internal positive air pressure that prevents dust particles from moving around and into your nice GPU!

OK so far this is where this design is at right now. I will be focusing on the HDD next so I will post any progress and would appreciate some of your opinions about this case (chassis??)."

http://www.sweclockers.com/forum/showth ... did=885350

ImageImageImageImage

ImageImageImage
Last edited by average_joe on Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

boost

Post by boost » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:19 am

These are the best rendered shots of a case I have ever seen!

Thoughts:
That case is HUGE, at least 60cm high and 70cm deep (guesstimates).
The hard drive cage looks cool and unique and seriously over-engineered.
Will the small upper exhaust vents of the hard drive cage allow for good airflow?
The HDDs produce so little heat that you can put them all in one chamber.
I have a case with 7 HDDs and cabling is messy. Do you want use a backplane to reduce clutter?
I like server type hard drive bays --- in servers. The last time I tried hotswapping a sata harddrive in my pc I a got a reboot. Hot swap hard drive bays for home computers are overrated.
The airflow picture looks nice and clean, but there is no hardware installed escpecially no graphics card. Depending on model this card will produce some or a lot of heat and impede airflow. Maybe a side vent with or without fan could improve airflow in this area.

average_joe

Post by average_joe » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:44 am

nutball
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by nutball » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:48 am

So much of the design emphasis in this concept seems to be geared around HDDs, and in particular it seems keeping HDDs cool. Seems very wrong-headed to me.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:13 am

Hello,
boost wrote:These are the best rendered shots of a case I have ever seen!
I have the same comment -- what software are you using?

Bakkone
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bakkone » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:04 am

Made using Rhinoceros http://www.rhino3d.com/ combined with Hypershot http://www.bunkspeed.com/hypershot/ according to the official thread.