I5 750 heat question

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

karkee

I5 750 heat question

Post by karkee » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:58 am

Hello,
I just assembled my new setup but it aint tottaly done yet :p
At the moment I ran into some problems or well not really problems but I would like to know what you guys think of my temps so far.

setup: I5 750 , 4gb corsair , prolima megashadow cooler (sflex 1200rpm at 7v), casefans slipstream as rear exhaust & sflex at top both at 5v.

So far my idle temps are at 20/21°, and load I get something like 48/50° (used prime)

What you think of these temps because I saw a review from the megashadow with a same CPU the guy had like 25°idle and 34° load... seems impossible to me? was on bjorn3d btw.

Any help or advice is welcome <3

swivelguy2

Post by swivelguy2 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:14 am

I guess you mean this review?

http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?cID=1691&pageID=7678

If so, I wouldn't fret over the difference. They get 39C load at 20C ambient (which is pretty chilly). They don't even mention what fan is used, and I'm sure they're running it at 12v.

50C under prime95 is nothing to worry about. That's not a very dangerous temperature, and chances are you'll never reach that with actual usage.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:17 pm

First, set a baseline.

It's unlikely your idle temp is 20C as your room ambient temp is probably around 20C. What temp monitoring app are you using, and did you run the calibration routine?

karkee

Post by karkee » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:43 pm

Im using coretemp at the moment. calibration routine? :p

hybrid2d4x4

Post by hybrid2d4x4 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:20 pm

swivelguy2 wrote: at 20C ambient (which is pretty chilly)
Couldn't help but chuckle at that part. My ambient in a basement suite might peak 21 on the hottest of summer days, otherwise it's usually 15-18. I need to move somewhere warmer :lol:

Totally agree with the rest of your post, though!

Shamgar

Post by Shamgar » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:27 am

hybrid2d4x4 wrote:
swivelguy2 wrote: at 20C ambient (which is pretty chilly)
Couldn't help but chuckle at that part. My ambient in a basement suite might peak 21 on the hottest of summer days, otherwise it's usually 15-18. I need to move somewhere warmer :lol:

Totally agree with the rest of your post, though!
I think you have misinterpreted the post while also quoting it out of context. The "pretty chilly" part, to me, is made in reference to the CPU's load temperature (if I am not mistaken).
swivelguy2 wrote:They get 39C load [at 20C ambient] (which is pretty chilly).
Now, if you were in Australia during this time of year, 30°C would be considered "cool". Especially when temperatures reach and exceed 40°C.

diver

Post by diver » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:18 pm

At idle, a temperature of only 5 or 6 degrees Celsius in excess of ambient is in championship territory for air cooling. That is what I get on my system with a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus and a 900 rpm fan. My I5-750 CPU is running @ 3.36 Ghz by the way. With Prime 95 running the temperature levels off at 57C, (ambient about 24C) with occasional touches at 58C.

karkee

Post by karkee » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:20 pm

Well I get like 50° load at the moment using prime95 with small ffts. have a 1200rpm fan on 7v on my prolima megashadow think its a good temp atleast or? I will try using some artic silver and replace the cooler and see if I can get it some lower. My room temp is around 20° btw

RoGuE

Post by RoGuE » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:18 pm

First of all, when it comes to CPU's, anything under 60C is perfectly safe. In fact, 70C is probably also completely fine. These things are meant to handle much higher temperatures. The fact that you even own an aftermarket cooler puts you in the .1 % of computer owners that actually care about temperatures (and not a stupid glowing apple thing on back of the monitor).

second of all, when reporting temperatures there are several different sensors you couple be seeing. Most motherboards have a themistor right under the CPU socket. This is reported as the "CPU" temp by software like Speedfan. The more relivant/accurate temperatures are the ones measured from within the CPU itself. These are your Core0 - Core3 temperatures. They should all be within 5C of each other, and almost 100% of the time these temperatures are much higher than the "CPU" temp that reads from your mobo.

Perhaps the review you saw was a measure of the MOBO sensor...not the core temperatures.

All in all, the thing to take away from this, is that comparing temperatures between different platforms (even if all the parts are the same models) doesn't always reflect consistant data. Just worry about keeping your temps (core temps) below 60C, and your fans quiet. That's really all you need to worry about for a long lasting computer.

diver

Post by diver » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:59 am

I agree with Rogue completely.

To the OP, 1200 RPM on a 120 mm fan is not in quiet computing territory. Unless the system has a bunch of other bad noise sources, a drop in fan RPM to about 900 should make an audible difference with a reasonable increase in temperatures to the mid 50's.

karkee

Post by karkee » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:45 am

Thx alot rogue for your explains :) I just got my SSD drive X128 xtreme series from corsair last thing to put in :x

Shamgar

Post by Shamgar » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:56 am

60°C+ temps is a ripoff. Doesn't make your screengrabs look good. Plus high temps turns your PC into a heater. All respectable computer people should aim for 30°C or less idle; 50°C or less load. You can have the best of both worlds: cool and quiet. Just don't sweat over it though. 8)

RoGuE

Post by RoGuE » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:51 pm

Shamgar wrote:60°C+ temps is a ripoff. Doesn't make your screengrabs look good. Plus high temps turns your PC into a heater. All respectable computer people should aim for 30°C or less idle; 50°C or less load. You can have the best of both worlds: cool and quiet. Just don't sweat over it though. 8)
There is always a trade off. If you want your CPU temp to read below 50C at load, you're going to have to turn your fans up. Cooler temps equate to louder fans...thats just how it goes. I find the happy medium is 60C load (cores), because it is well under the threshold of burn temps, but is also high enough where sufficent cooling can be done quietly.

You shouldn't say "all respectable computer people" because that simply is bullshit :D

But..maybe one could go so far as to say "all respectable computer people" use core temps and not MOBO temp sensors as it appears you are refering to...