Is there a way to unlock torrent throttling?

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

RaptorZX3

Is there a way to unlock torrent throttling?

Post by RaptorZX3 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:46 pm

ok i changed ISP lately, it's a 3rd-party ISP (Distributel) using DSL connection from Bell Canada, and they told me Bell do use torrent speed throttling during high traffic.

What i want to know...is there a way to somewhat unlock the ISP speed throttling on your computer? i use uTorrent. Is there a known software that can make the ISP think you're downloading normal files on HTTP when you're really downloading files via torrents?

thanks.

Michael Sandstrom

Post by Michael Sandstrom » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:58 am

SPCR is not the best forum for this question. I would not try the Utorrent forum either because the company that owns utorrent is partnered with all of the big movie studios. You might try torrentfreak or the Vuze forum. I assume you do have encryption employed--that is fundamental.

Riffer

Post by Riffer » Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:00 am

Figure out how to add the ipfilter to your torrent program.

psiu

Post by psiu » Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:02 am

Check DSLReports.com, they are on top of this stuff over there.
I am afraid the answer will be no way around it though--and the CRTC has given Bell free reign to do as they wish.

swivelguy2

Post by swivelguy2 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:02 pm

Try limiting your upload speeds. Broadband providers use large amounts of upload usage to flag peer-to-peer users, and throttle them.

When I cut my uploading down from ~200 KB/s to 50 KB/s, my download speeds went from 50 KB/s to 500 KB/s.

RaptorZX3

Post by RaptorZX3 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:57 pm

using port 21 with Forced encryption (in uTorrent), the speed seem to be really good right now! and it's not even 2am here!

i think Bell crank up the torrent speed after 2am here.

I heard using a port that they just can't block will most likely fix the throttling problem on torrents...