Accelero bending and cutting idea

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Accelero bending and cutting idea

Post by frenchie » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:28 am

Hi,

I just had an idea : has anyone tried to cut and Accelero through the middle and then bend it in half ?

Here is what it would look like from the side (excuse paint) :
(GPU in black, fins in red, heatpipes in blue, 120mm fan in green)

From the front or the back :

It's a little extreme but it would allow the GPU to have it's own chamber with a little ducting, with the exhaust air going out through the PCI slots, and intake air coming in through the front of the case (a Solo would be great).

What do you think ?

PS : I guess I felt a little destructive when I wrote that :twisted:

b_rubenstein

Post by b_rubenstein » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:06 pm

There's more to cool on a video card than the GPU. The VRM's, particularly on the high powered cards, are more of a problem than the GPU.

http://www.anandtech.com/weblog/showpost.aspx?i=657

You have to make sure that by solving a non-existent problem you don't crate a major one.

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Post by frenchie » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:10 am

Well, I imagine that if you duct the fan, the VRMs will get plenty of fresh airflow (the air being pulled by the fan). No ?

b_rubenstein

Post by b_rubenstein » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:26 am

Without heat sinks to increase the radiating surface area of the VRMs, they will overheat no matter how much air you pass over them.

Fixating on the GPU, instead of working a complete video card cooling system is inherently flawed. You're not alone though, there have been all sorts of products that have been sold with the same sort of problem.

swivelguy2

Post by swivelguy2 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:37 am

He never said he was going to neglect VRM and RAM cooling, he just said he was going to modify the GPU core cooling device to allow it to catch much more airflow. In fact, doing what he proposes would provide plenty of room to use gigantic VRM and RAM heatsinks, improving their cooling.

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Post by frenchie » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:18 am

Of course, if I end up doing this mod, I WILL use VRM and RAM heatsinks, either aftermarket ones or the standard ones.