Russia's secret plan to save Earth from asteroid

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

robokopp

Russia's secret plan to save Earth from asteroid

Post by robokopp » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:08 pm

Russian scientists will soon meet in secret to work on a plan for saving Earth from a possible catastrophic collision with a giant asteroid in 26 years, the head of Russia's space agency said.

"We will soon hold a closed meeting of our collegium, the science-technical council to look at what can be done" to prevent the asteroid Apophis from slamming into the planet in 2036, Anatoly Perminov told Voice of Russia radio.
News article in full at ABC News:-

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009 ... ion=justin

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:10 pm

What about the closer impending disaster?

Sarah Palin as president?

Now we know what it takes to make the Mayan calendar look good.

spookmineer
Patron of SPCR

Post by spookmineer » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:10 pm

aristide1 wrote:What about the closer impending disaster?

I seriously think she has less chance of becoming president than an asteroid hitting the earth...
As of October 7, 2009, the impact probability for April 13, 2036, is calculated as 1 in 250,000.
It is now expected to pass the Earth on Friday, April 13, 2029 quite closely but with no possibility of an impact.
Anyway, it's better to be safe than to be sorry. However, "secret meeting" is not the case anymore.

As of late, the voices making a fuss about "planet x" or "nibiru" have gone silent. Maybe even these people have found google, and taken a look at the Torino scale and/or Palermo scale - apart from growing a mind.
If astronomers around the world are concerned about a slightly possible impact in 2036, they sure would have to know about a possible impact in 2012 (or 21xx as it currently seems).
Especially if you consider Apophis is said to be 350 metres in diameter, and so called nibiru is larger then earth - can we finally give up the hoax about planet x?

I can see Bruce Willis booking a flight on the Spaceship Two, hijacking the craft and flying into Apophis to save mankind. Even if it takes him more than 20 years to do so.
"There won't be any nuclear explosions," Dr Perminov said.
That might be the only thing preventing Bruce from volunteering.

robokopp

Post by robokopp » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:29 am

Yes, I hope Bruce can take the job.

Otherwise, our "Plan B" might have to be Clint, Tommy Lee & James...

"Space Cowboys" at IMDb,

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0186566/

robokopp

Post by robokopp » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:55 am

Be thankful for Sarah Palin. Better the devil you know than the devil you don't.

You could have worse!

She is not as warped as our Pauline Hanson...

See, Pauline Hanson, at Wikipedia:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pauline_Hanson

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:38 am

I am more sceptic. Maybe this is one way for Russia trying to slip thru Nuclear disarmament agreement with USA:.. Especially when it comes to armed satellites...

qviri

Post by qviri » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:34 am

There may be no nuclear weapons but I'd be willing to bet a Scythe HSF they won't resist a chance to test out some high-powered lasers in real-world situations.

peterex09

Post by peterex09 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:50 pm

I wonder what other countries say about this. Hmmm...

Riffer

Post by Riffer » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:08 am

Diversion/destruction of these asteroids is a lot more complex than you would suspect. You just can't necessarliy just hit them with a laser or a nuke. Depending on what they are made of, there could be no effect. I think that is why they are talking about an "Apparatus" in the article. Probably something that will attach itself to the asteroid and slowly steer it away.

BTW, if you are really into Russian secret conspiracy stuff, look up "Dead Hand"

spookmineer
Patron of SPCR

Post by spookmineer » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:51 pm

Riffer wrote:BTW, if you are really into Russian secret conspiracy stuff, look up "Dead Hand"
"Dead hand" doesn't really sound like a conspiracy, more like paranoia...
In order to be effective, the Russians had to make sure it was not a secret.

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:16 pm

After highlighting bluefront's cult following of the GOP, have you taken to a similar following of the Dems?

Obama reads a teleprompter well, but he doesn't have a clue what's going on. Just because he's black, doesn't mean he's free from criticism - he's no better than Bush, Kerry, Palin, etc. As a black he might symbolise global unity under banker slavery, and receive a Peace prize for advancing us symbolically; but he's still keeping with the wars, and eying Iran.

I figure the dumb ones must be easier to manipulate. It's kinda funny how people are terrified of criticising a black though.

-

It's related to how "Negro", similar to the scientific classification, is considered offensive now... How can blacks be proud of anything if being black is somehow embarrassing, lol? Blacks are to hold their heads in shame?

qviri

Post by qviri » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:42 pm

Trip wrote:Obama reads a teleprompter well, but he doesn't have a clue what's going on.
[citation needed]

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:52 pm

Im registering GOP just so i can get her on the ticket, shes Obamas best chance for reelection! :lol:

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:53 am

Trip wrote:I figure the dumb ones must be easier to manipulate.
I mean the dumb Presidential candidates.

I was not calling aristide dumb.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:16 am

Trip,

Are you saying that no one has ever criticized President Obama? Or, if they have, that they have been accused of being a racist?

As for the teleprompter shtick: http://www.theonion.com/content/video/o ... leprompter

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:19 am

In addition to some Obamaism, though nothing at the level of Dubya's..., he's contradicted himself on foreign and domestic policy. I'm floundering around to find the citations for the contradictions though I will find them shortly. There aren't many on the net, other than the Likudniks / Zionist Christians / and related bloodthirsty monsters, who actually criticise Obama, unless google is biased.

But yea the teleprompter reliance is notable.

Also, his support for more troops in Afghanistan (to accomplish what?) and his wiretapping support are notable. He's a black Bush.

robokopp

Post by robokopp » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:03 am

The story of, "The Emperor's New Clothes", comes to mind...

spookmineer
Patron of SPCR

Post by spookmineer » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:58 pm

Anyway... So yeah, how about that asteroid...? :?

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:16 pm

Once a president establishes the use of a new technology, it usually sticks until something better comes along. Why is everyone so upset about our current president following the great communicators lead?

It silly to try and protect us from asteroids until we can learn to save us from ourselves.

Riffer

Post by Riffer » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:03 am

spookmineer wrote:
Riffer wrote:BTW, if you are really into Russian secret conspiracy stuff, look up "Dead Hand"
"Dead hand" doesn't really sound like a conspiracy, more like paranoia...
In order to be effective, the Russians had to make sure it was not a secret.
"It was to be announced at the Party Congress on Monday. As you know, the Premier loves surprises." :lol:

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:14 am

Trip wrote:

After highlighting bluefront's cult following of the GOP, have you taken to a similar following of the Dems?
Why should I? I neither vote for them, endorse them, nor do I complement them. Once the overwhelming majority was sure that Obama meant change then I was sure we wouldn't get any. The same financial crooks under Bush are in charge under Obama.

Trip wrote:Obama reads a teleprompter well, but he doesn't have a clue what's going on. Just because he's black, doesn't mean he's free from criticism - he's no better than Bush, Kerry, Palin, etc.
Yes. But that also means when so many pointed out that Bush couldn't speak well and his zealot followers got pissed off there was no justification for it, was there? IE If they can dish it out they better be able to take it as well.

I think you can ask Obama what newspapers he reads and get an intelligent answer without rehersal or a teleprompter. With Palin you get a deer caught in car headlights.
Trip wrote: As a black he might symbolise global unity under banker slavery, and receive a Peace prize for advancing us symbolically; but he's still keeping with the wars, and eying Iran.
Now you're talking to me like I even believe he deserved the award, which I do not. On the other hand if Bush/Cheney handled the Cuban missile crisis you and I would be nothing but radioactive fallout right now.
Trip wrote:I figure the dumb ones must be easier to manipulate. It's kinda funny how people are terrified of criticising a black though.
I believe people hesitate because one should criticize the actions of the man, not what the man is. But also one must steer clear of being misquoted and being taken out of context. So one can see why it's a lot easier to shut up than to speak up. Is that why O'Reilly tells people to shut up so often? I think not.
Trip wrote:It's related to how "Negro", similar to the scientific classification, is considered offensive now... How can blacks be proud of anything if being black is somehow embarrassing, lol? Blacks are to hold their heads in shame?
I don't get this statement. If anything I ain't hip, I can't dance, and God knows I can't jump. :shock:

As for political alliances there is one simple fact and constant in the universe. Which party is the most corrupt? The party in charge, simply because they have more opportunity. Those that serve with ethics can barely hold a candle to those that don't. They are outnumbered, out financed, and outgunned. We're owned by the K-Street whores, and as long as we accept it then we may as well say "Thank you sir, may I please have another," like Kevin Bacon in Animal House.
Trip wrote:I was not calling aristide dumb.
Eh, I've been called worse. No problem.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:05 am

Hey Trip,

Have you noticed since that certain someone stopped showing up here we can have vastly different opinions on many issues without the flaming? Do you think that happens because those of us still here may not agree with everything others say but find the other position as having some merit? Or perhaps the reason we are all more civilized is that there is no one here stating a position for the explicit reason of just to piss off anyone and everyone else?

Which do you think applies? My answer would simply be - yes.

The fastest way to spot a fraud position is when the person deals with the issues in pure black and white. This of course eliminates virtually everyone in the press and 100% of Faux News.

Damn, I wish people weren't so gullable.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:15 pm

I think if they blew up the asteroid, the chance of smaller yet devastating particles hitting random places on earth would increase 1000 fold.

kinda random to do so.

or, moving something off it's orbit might cause it to get SUCKED IN to the earth's orbit. I would enjoy that dark humor if it happened.

andymcca

um...

Post by andymcca » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:01 am

After reading this thread I think I'll opt for the asteroid.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: um...

Post by xan_user » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:20 am

andymcca wrote:After reading this thread I think I'll opt for the asteroid.
God did it when the dinosaurs got outta hand, so why shouldn't she do it again now? :lol: