Have any of you seen a 5000 series card with D-sub out?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Wedge

Have any of you seen a 5000 series card with D-sub out?

Post by Wedge » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:22 pm

I require the standard VGA out (D-Sub) for my KVM switch to work properly. I have been hoping for a card in the Radeon HD 5000 series to come to market, though I realize it is still early.

swivelguy2

Post by swivelguy2 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:05 pm

You should be able to use a DVI->VGA adapter with those cards.

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:06 am

And if I'm not mistaken such an adapter usually comes bundled with the card.

Wedge

Post by Wedge » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:32 am

Though those do work, they cannot work properly with my KVM swith. What i mean is that those only work if I have the KVM focused on that specific PC when I turn it on. If the focus is on another PC, and I boot said PC up without the focus, when I switch to that PC I will not have a video signal.

It is a bug (in my opinion) with the KVM switch. But the way to work around it is to make sure all PCs connected to the switch are doing so via the D-Sub out. That way I can boot any PC at any time without regard to which PC currently has the KVM focus. Each one has a video signal upon switching from one PC to the next.

swivelguy2

Post by swivelguy2 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:51 am

Sounds like time for a new KVM then, as I doubt dedicated D-sub ports will be coming to the 5000 series at all. These cards, even the not-yet-released lower end ones, support 3 digital displays, leaving no room on the backplate for an analog output.

danimal

Post by danimal » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:12 pm

i'd be looking for an lcd monitor with two dvi/hdmi inputs, so that you can ditch the kvm... direct digital connection between card and monitor will give you better pq than if you use a vga adapter.

micksh

Post by micksh » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:42 pm

Here is one with D-Sub - Asus CuCore 5770
http://www.techpowerup.com/110491/ASUS_ ... _Card.html

BTW, I have no problems with my KVM switch working through DVI to D-Sub adapters. Forgot the model of the switch, can tell you if you need.

lm
Friend of SPCR

Post by lm » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:41 am

My HP LP3065 has 3x Dual Link DVI inputs and a big button on the front labeled "input" that cycles through the inputs.

Basically you need to press this button once or twice at most to get the input you want if all 3 are connected.

One keyboard and mouse can be shared programmatically between multiple computers, depending on your operating systems you can use x2x (all linuxes), x2vnc (linux and windows) or win2vnc (all windows). All of them are free.

tehfire

Post by tehfire » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:32 pm

TechPowerUp

Looks like AMD will start introducing lower-end variants which should have VGA-out

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:42 am

Wedge wrote:Though those do work, they cannot work properly with my KVM swith. What i mean is that those only work if I have the KVM focused on that specific PC when I turn it on. If the focus is on another PC, and I boot said PC up without the focus, when I switch to that PC I will not have a video signal.

It is a bug (in my opinion) with the KVM switch. But the way to work around it is to make sure all PCs connected to the switch are doing so via the D-Sub out. That way I can boot any PC at any time without regard to which PC currently has the KVM focus. Each one has a video signal upon switching from one PC to the next.
It's a DVI handshake issue, for sure. Many HTPC owners have had to resort to using a device called a DVI Detective to keep their video signal live to their display to solve this problem. I have the same issue with my Dell monitor, though using the same hardware and an older CRT monitor with a DVI-VGA adapter didn't suffer the same issue.

Wedge

Post by Wedge » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:46 pm

micksh wrote:Here is one with D-Sub - Asus CuCore 5770
http://www.techpowerup.com/110491/ASUS_ ... _Card.html

BTW, I have no problems with my KVM switch working through DVI to D-Sub adapters. Forgot the model of the switch, can tell you if you need.
Yes, share the make/model of your switch. And thanks for the link.

Wedge

Post by Wedge » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:48 pm

tehfire wrote:TechPowerUp

Looks like AMD will start introducing lower-end variants which should have VGA-out
These are slowly trickling in now. as micksh pointed out, there is a 5770 made by Asus with a D-sub. I also spotted a 5750 with one at Newegg about 2 weeks ago.

Wedge

Post by Wedge » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:50 pm

jhhoffma wrote: It's a DVI handshake issue, for sure. Many HTPC owners have had to resort to using a device called a DVI Detective to keep their video signal live to their display to solve this problem. I have the same issue with my Dell monitor, though using the same hardware and an older CRT monitor with a DVI-VGA adapter didn't suffer the same issue.
Is DVI-Detective an additional piece of hardware (I am presuming that it is since you call it a device)?

edit: Found my answer using a fancy thing called "google".

It costs nearly $100 here in the U.S.

porkchop

Post by porkchop » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:13 pm

the powercolor 5670 series comes with hdmi, dvi-i and dsub.

interestingly, it is also the only non-reference pcb that i've seen for the 5670 and also sports the artic cooling heatsink.