My dell 30"Monitor emits noise! wich 30" mon. is b

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

r3vbr

My dell 30"Monitor emits noise! wich 30" mon. is b

Post by r3vbr » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:19 am

I have a DELL 30" 3007WFP monitor and it has a buzz that varies in pitch according to the brightness setting.

I've read some DELL forums and apparently there's no fix.

So I plan on changing my monitor to a silent one, anybody know wich brand has the most silent 30"Monitor?

loefet

Post by loefet » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:19 am

Have you tried to increase the brightness to maximum?

That at least removed the "coil whine" on my Benq FP241W.
The lower the Brightness is set the higher the whine will be, it's a pretty normal problem with high voltage power supplies...

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: My dell 30"Monitor emits noise! wich 30" mon.

Post by xan_user » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:40 am

r3vbr wrote:

So I plan on changing my monitor to a silent one, anybody know wich brand has the most silent 30"Monitor?
apple. :roll:

r3vbr

Post by r3vbr » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:49 am

loefet wrote:Have you tried to increase the brightness to maximum?

That at least removed the "coil whine" on my Benq FP241W.
The lower the Brightness is set the higher the whine will be, it's a pretty normal problem with high voltage power supplies...
There are 10 possible brightness levels...
if I go climbing from levels 2 is a very low frequency noise, and very loud
as I increse brightness to 8 noise gets lower, but at 9 and 10, there's a phase transition and noise becomes extremely high frequency and irritating

Is the apple 30" cinema monitor the most silent? are there any site with testable results for comparison?

thx a lot guys

r3vbr

Re: My dell 30"Monitor emits noise! wich 30" mon. is b

Post by r3vbr » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:10 am

up!

twitch

Post by twitch » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:55 am

I have a dell ultrasharp 3008wfp and it's quiet. As is the 2408wfp. No buzzing.

r3vbr

Post by r3vbr » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:39 am

twitch wrote:I have a dell ultrasharp 3008wfp and it's quiet. As is the 2408wfp. No buzzing.
Your room or PC must be noisy. In a quiet environment and with a quiet PC you start hearing the buzz, this is a common issue with all 3008WFPs i've tested my friends monitors as well and they are noisy (it comes from the back, of the screen where the power supply is located)

ky
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by ky » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:36 pm

It seems to vary in the models. In my home office, I have an Apple 30", and 2 3008WFPs. The WFP in the middle emits a whine which is similar in noise to the coil whine my PSU makes when my SSD is doing furious writes; it only emits this whine when turned off but plugged in. The WFP on the end has none of these issues, but it's also powered on or in standby most of the day. So part of the coil whine might be due to the fact that the middle WFP is rarely on and most of the time, it's turned on from being quite cold.

All this said, if you have a warranty with Dell, Dell has been known to accept RMA requests for the whiny 3008s and send replacements. I haven't done this yet.

r3vbr

Post by r3vbr » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:03 pm

ky wrote:It seems to vary in the models. In my home office, I have an Apple 30", and 2 3008WFPs. The WFP in the middle emits a whine which is similar in noise to the coil whine my PSU makes when my SSD is doing furious writes; it only emits this whine when turned off but plugged in. The WFP on the end has none of these issues, but it's also powered on or in standby most of the day. So part of the coil whine might be due to the fact that the middle WFP is rarely on and most of the time, it's turned on from being quite cold.

All this said, if you have a warranty with Dell, Dell has been known to accept RMA requests for the whiny 3008s and send replacements. I haven't done this yet.
hmm interesting...
how does the apple one compare, is it less noisy?

twitch

Post by twitch » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:18 pm

r3vbr wrote:
twitch wrote:I have a dell ultrasharp 3008wfp and it's quiet. As is the 2408wfp. No buzzing.
Your room or PC must be noisy. In a quiet environment and with a quiet PC you start hearing the buzz, this is a common issue with all 3008WFPs i've tested my friends monitors as well and they are noisy (it comes from the back, of the screen where the power supply is located)
Actually I study at home with the monitors on connected to a mac mini because it is so much quieter than my gaming rig. I used to have an old vizio that made that horrible buzzing noise - so I feel your pain. It got to my nerves so I switched to these (atleast the ones I have) are great. my only complaint - wish it was led as the 30" eats up a ton of watts per killawatt vs the 24". It can also get warmish, though not quite the heater the vizio was.

ky
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by ky » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:36 am

r3vbr wrote:
ky wrote:It seems to vary in the models. In my home office, I have an Apple 30", and 2 3008WFPs. The WFP in the middle emits a whine which is similar in noise to the coil whine my PSU makes when my SSD is doing furious writes; it only emits this whine when turned off but plugged in. The WFP on the end has none of these issues, but it's also powered on or in standby most of the day. So part of the coil whine might be due to the fact that the middle WFP is rarely on and most of the time, it's turned on from being quite cold.

hmm interesting...
how does the apple one compare, is it less noisy?
I think the main reason the Apple 30" is less noisy because they separate the power supply from the monitor into a separate brick. The 3008wfp 3 prong power cable plugs directly into the panel itself. I can't explain why this would be the reason (don't know enough about what causes the problem) but it's the main difference between the way the 2 panels get their power.

DavidA

Post by DavidA » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:57 pm

I had a 3007WFP and now have a 3008WFP. Both emit a whine which varies in pitch when I change the brightness. I never found a solution.