iPad??? WTF, Are the Apple execs complete idiots?

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

colm

Post by colm » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:02 pm

whatever apple does. I think of the america it is working with.
I was 10 in 1983, and sat in front of an apple. I learned as time went along, the ideas to make it solid were not going to happen. The market is way way too open...
apple hangs on and on, I respect it. I will never own an apple, but that is like a mechanic who will never buy a ferrari...he built his own contently.

I wouldn't ever be serious in derogatory remarks about apple stuff...one of these days, they will get through and deserve a respect forever more out loud and obvious.
I still remember thier push for graphics..it was apples motivation that has given us what we got to complain about..optimistically...in every realm of computer building...today.

jaydeesan

Post by jaydeesan » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:28 pm

thejamppa wrote:Apple doesn't make excellent products.
True.
Apple make good products usually...
False.
... They sell image, way of life that can be obtained by buying an Apple's device.
True. In a very sad way.
Apple could take an icecream stick, duct-tape tape it and paint and sell and iStick.
True.
That is how good Apple's marketing machine is...
False. That is how stupid most people are. The same reason why religion is still around...
...be in crisis as there is nobody in Apple yet, who can fill his shoes.
Let's hope it stays that way.
...not surprised that if Jobs' death would mean death of Apple...
We can only hope so.

tim851

Post by tim851 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:40 am

I think the iPad is a perfect device for a still tiny niche.

Yeah, the specs are lacking, but that is Apple's strategy. Like with the iPhone, it's deliberate. Introduce the device and limit initial demand by making it lacking for a lot of people. That enables you to start production slowly and not commit yourself to risky expenses, should the device fail.
Half a year later, introduce an "update", free of cost. They got 3 generations off the iPhone without any additional R&D by just enabling features the internal prototype most likely had from the beginning.

Also, there's so much talk about the lack of features that you get the impression that it's all that's wrong the iPad. Like if it had multitasking and 3G, it would be perfect. But would it?

The question is: is there a market for e-readers yet?
Amazon broke ground with the Kindle. For Apple it was probably a good time now, because developing markets are much cheaper to enter. There is no real competition for the iPad. The Kindle is black and white, how much fun is reading anything but ebooks on that?

A lot of people cannot imagine doing anything with an e-reader that they couldn't do better with a netbook or at least be more mobile with a smartphone.
Apple will seek to create the value for the iPad by offering a comprehensive online store, like iTunes. Get every major publisher on board, then papers and magazines, libraries, etc...
It will be the success of that iDoc store that will ultimately determine the fate of the iPad.

andymcca

Post by andymcca » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:06 am

Most products I can look at and find some reason to use them, ie they pass the "if it were free" test. iPhone? Sure, if it were free I would use one to call people and pick restaurants. Remote controlled plane? Sure, if it were free I might pick up the hobby despite having no real interest. Neat outdoor TV antenna? Sure, even though I live in an apartment with no roof access, if it were free I would set it up in a corner just to play around with it to see how good my signals could be.

Problem with the iPad is... What would I do with it? Even if it were free, I'm not sure I would spend more than a few minutes on it before getting bored and never touching it again. And typing without tactile re-enforcement of key location will be a disaster :D

Edit:
tim851 wrote:The question is: is there a market for e-readers yet?
There will never be a market for LCD e-readers. How is it different from my (less expensive) netbook? Both strain my eyes, are un-readable outdoors, and have small screens.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:25 am

andymcca wrote:There will never be a market for LCD e-readers. How is it different from my (less expensive) netbook? Both strain my eyes, are un-readable outdoors, and have small screens.
If its anything like the glossy screen of the iPhone, I cant imagine it being very readable, even in the short itme before the eye strain becomes an issue.

edh

Post by edh » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:35 pm

Can anyone remember the Apple Newton? I've not seen a single mention of it since the introduction of the iPad.

jessekopelman

Post by jessekopelman » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:16 pm

edh wrote:Can anyone remember the Apple Newton? I've not seen a single mention of it since the introduction of the iPad.
I've seen plenty of mention of the Newton in regards to the iPad, at least from tech oriented sources whose readers would potentially know about the Newton. Anyway, I think people have forgotten, in general, that there were non-wireless PDA. I think most people don't even remember the older Blackberries that were data-only (and ran on RIM's own proprietary network, to boot). Newton was what, 15 years ago? And it was very very different from the iPad in every respect other than maybe in being a premature entry in an undeveloped class of device.

Fayd

Post by Fayd » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:08 am

i saw some devices on dealextreme that are linux based, ARM processor, and accomplish basically the same thing.

and not a one of them cost more than $200.

markyb

Post by markyb » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:14 am

To me just seems a glorified ebook reader. which is over sized and doesnt offer much in terms of going forward with hardware

Sony have something similar but at a silly price and you will still have to buy ebooks to download from there store..Id much rather buy a sony product, but even i wouldnt buy one of these ebook readers.. I actually still and will always enjoy reading a paper book, as it gets me off the pc!

I just dont understand the way Apple are going.

It will flop.. thats a certainty. its just when i feel

They have obviously hit big time with the Ipod,Touch and Iphone. but these products arent for me. Altho i do like the sometimes easy navigation of there set out having bought one for someone at the time. I personally will never own an Apple product.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:25 am

Michael Sandstrom

Post by Michael Sandstrom » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:23 am

Although I don't want an Ipad, the device does have some value as an educational toy for very young children and curious kittens. The proof is on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT4EbM7d ... r_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9NP-AeK ... r_embedded

croddie

Re: iPad??? WTF, Are the Apple execs complete idiots?

Post by croddie » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:28 am

Michael Sandstrom wrote:iPad??? WTF, Are the Apple execs complete idiots?
No, the media and sales are showing otherwise.
The public, they're the idiots.

Redzo

Post by Redzo » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:03 am

andymcca wrote:
nutball wrote: Point is, nobody whats a giant phone or MP3 player. So the only reasonable marketing description for this thing is a smaller laptop. Or maybe an e-reader with all of the standard LCD eye-strain and lack of outdoor readability.
Nobody ? Sure ?
Then would you care to explain how come Apple sold SO many of them ? Or that demand is actually so big that they had to postpone international release ?
I am not sure why ppl that dont use Macs are so BOTHERED by ppl that actually do use them ?

Do you get some sort of kick out of it ?

Economy is very simple, you don't like a product you don't buy it. It's as simple as that.

Whining on ppl that decide to buy it is just....sad.
The whole tread looks like a trollpost. You know: Lets bash on ppl that buy Apple products. It's fun....
Hopefully some moderator will lock it down soon.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:59 am

Nobody ? Sure ?
Then would you care to explain how come Apple sold SO many of them ?

Croddie got it right.
No, the media and sales are showing otherwise.
The public, they're the idiots.
Or that demand is actually so big that they had to postpone international release ?
This is a problem with Apple, its difficult to actually tell, they may have millions of them waiting to be sold, but as they simply stop shipping once they have hit their pre-determined quota (they actually do this all of the time, the only companies that actually win are the ones with the most stock, and the end user simply has to wait if they want product xxx).

Alternatively, Apple are possibly sorting out some of the problems with it before they ship it elsewhere.

Or they might have not expected to sell as many of their new shiny eReader/tablet web browser/portable movie players due to the lack of a genuinely useful product (which v2 might be).
I am not sure why ppl that dont use Macs are so BOTHERED by ppl that actually do use them ?
Most PC users who actually know anything about MAC's dont have a bone up their arse, they just simply laugh at the insane cost of the OS and included software (obviously not the hardware because its all standard stuff now).

They then laugh some more when any MAC owners actually realise that they are NOT impervious to viruses, its just that virus writers cant be bothered to write them for their tiny market share in the same way that they can be bothered to write them fo Linux.

Then they laugh at the huge selection of software, games and hardware that does not work.

And lastly they laugh when they buy an Apple toy and realise all of its shortcomings.
Do you get some sort of kick out of it ?
Sometimes I do, such as when acustomer has heard all of the hype about MAC's and how easy they are to use, they buy one, come to me 3-weeks later and tell me that they can still use the internet, and its exactly the same, I then ask why they bought one, usually the answer is because of MAC preachers.
Economy is very simple, you don't like a product you don't buy it. It's as simple as that.
Well yes that is true, but how many people really (as in REALLY) use a product before they buy it, not many.
Whining on ppl that decide to buy it is just....sad.
I think most people are NOT whining, they are justs simply confused as to why anyone with half a brain would buy an iPad, personally I just laugh at all of the money people waste on such things.
The whole tread looks like a trollpost. You know: Lets bash on ppl that buy Apple products. It's fun....
In the same way that I will laugh at anyone who buy's any pointless product for loads of money.
Hopefully some moderator will lock it down soon.
Why, dont you enjoy laughing at other peoples stupid descisions.?

Andy

colin2

Post by colin2 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:22 am

I used to hang out on an audio board where Bose-bashing was a favorite sport: Bose's success in foisting overpriced, polished turds on the general public showed how stupid most people were, and by contrast how extra-smart audiophiles were...

Nope. Acquiring expertise about gear is time-consuming and costly. The premium for Apple gear is what people pay for not having to be a geek. A board like this, self-selected from among the geekiest PC users, is kinda by definition the least likely to grok the appeal of Apple products. Some people like simplicity!

At a meeting a couple days ago I sat next to a colleague who had a new Ipad. It's a nice little thing. Ten hours of battery life, fast internet, video, lovely color ... if you want a highly portable reader and surfing device, I could see getting it. And this colleague is a computer scientist. I own zero Apple products, but every time I spend an hour sorting out a PC driver conflict I wonder whether the sucker in this game is me.

Apple, at a guess, is noticing that phones with touch-screens are allowing the growth of different kinds of computer-use, and that the unwashed masses out there are updating their facebook pages, shopping, doing stuff that wants internet access but not a lot of local processing power. This really is a thin client.

Here's an articulate member of the nongeek masses: http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2010/ ... -as-a-tool

Redzo

Post by Redzo » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:41 am

andyb wrote:
Why, dont you enjoy laughing at other peoples stupid descisions.?

Andy
I am now.

Are you sure that your hatred towards Apple doesn't come from the fact that most of you Apple bashers can't afford their products ?

Apple haters ALWAYS point out the fact that "you can get cheaper stuff that does the same thing"...

So what ? A Mercedes will get you to work just as any old (still functional car) will..Why do ppl buy them instead of Nissan Micras and other el cheapo cars out there ?

Answer is because they CAN afford them and they know that Micra ppl look up to them. They envy them and their money just like you envy ppl that just don't care about the extra cost of Apple products. You do envy them otherwise you just would not care enough to bother.

danimal

Post by danimal » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:04 pm

[Come on folks, let's not stoop to this...]

judge56988
Friend of SPCR

Post by judge56988 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:30 pm

Redzo wrote:
Are you sure that your hatred towards Apple doesn't come from the fact that most of you Apple bashers can't afford their products ?

Apple haters ALWAYS point out the fact that "you can get cheaper stuff that does the same thing"...

So what ? A Mercedes will get you to work just as any old (still functional car) will..Why do ppl buy them instead of Nissan Micras and other el cheapo cars out there ?

Answer is because they CAN afford them and they know that Micra ppl look up to them. They envy them and their money just like you envy ppl that just don't care about the extra cost of Apple products. You do envy them otherwise you just would not care enough to bother.
That's probably the most ridiculous thing I've read on this forum for a long time.
Apple is about fashion. People in certain "creative" professions have to have a Mac Book because it's expected of them. The rest of the people that buy them fall into two camps: those that buy them because they aspire to be like the fashion victims and those that can't resist the fact that they are carved out of a solid lump of metal and not made from cheap plastic. The latter group invariably run Windows on their Macs and used to have ThinkPads when they were proper ThinkPads and not cheap Chinese crap.

Well that's my humble opinion any way.
For what it's worth I chose to buy a Dell Latitude but could easily have afforded a MacBook Pro.
Not everybody is as ostentatious as you seem to think.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:32 pm

That seems a bit presumptious, are you suggesting that Apple users are RICHER than everyone else :roll: they migh have been until they bought an Apple product. I have no issue with people using apple computers because they know how to use the software, in the same way that I have no problem with the millions of people who were brought up on MS Office using it at home. The simple fact though is that most people want a PC/laptop to use the internet, e-mail people, do some occasional word processing and the like and play a game or two, every single one of those people (excluding those who were brough up on Apple stuff) would be better off with a PC running Windows, than a PC running OS X or Ubuntu, if you only look at the cost and ease of use for everyone involved.
Well I am very sorry for suggesting that people SAVE their hard earned cash, I will now suggest that everyone should spend MORE money on a product that does exactly the same thing, they will all appreciate that I am sure.
Are you arguing for/against, I am at a loss........ oh no, I get it now, its down to "shinyness", and the ego and playground willy waving that follows suit.

I will always take funtion over form any day of the week, no doubt your into massive tit'ed gorgous blond girls who have difficulty pissing and chewing gum at the same time - get real.
I spent 7-years and 11months driving around a H-reg Peugeot 205 1.1Ltr petrol with just 4 forward going gears, I laughed at all of my friends who laughed at my car. Now my friends are skint and I have saved (and with that made) loads of money, my friends realise now that they could have taken the same patrh as me, and actually have a heap of money. How I pity people who bow to peer presure and shiny toys.

Another example would be that I have bought some rather expensive PC cases over the years, thet have all had one thing in common, they are there to be functional. Antec Sonata, insanely bright blue lights disconnected, bling gone. P180, not the shiny one, no way, its the Black one (with an SPCR sponsored badge) with the power and HDD lights disconnected, tucked away right under my desk where I occasionally kick it by accident. An Antec 1200 with all of the fans replaced (no lights), I am sure you get the idea.

Not everyone wants to wave their willy in the playground and constantly show of their "shiny" toys to the world (which often get stolen), some of us want some real substance and not all of the fakeness that comes with many (but not all) Apple products.

In a simply answer to "do I envy people who are happy to spend extra money on an Apple product". Of course not, I pity them.

Andy

Redzo

Post by Redzo » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:05 pm

andyb wrote: In a simply answer to "do I envy people who are happy to spend extra money on an Apple product". Of course not, I pity them.

Andy
And that tells a lot about you as a person.

Money is for spending and enjoying it. Putting it on a pile a counting before sleep is....well just sad.
judge56988 wrote: Well that's my humble opinion any way.
For what it's worth I chose to buy a Dell Latitude but could easily have afforded a MacBook Pro.
Not everybody is as ostentatious as you seem to think.
I was not implying that everybody is.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:58 pm

Off Topic
And that tells a lot about you as a person.

Money is for spending and enjoying it. Putting it on a pile a counting before sleep is....well just sad.
Yes it does, amongst all of my friends I am one of the few who has bought their own house and I still have a reasonable disposable income, and yes I do go out and enjoy myself. But because I have been prudent in the past where others have not, I have a house and money in the bank where others do not. So what that says about me is that I got it right where many of my friends have not.

But one enyoying the pleasures in life (like I do) does not also mean spending money they dont have (i.e. cant really afford to spend), or wasting it on overpriced shinyness, we can enjoy ourselfs and save money for future prosperity just by not wasting it on pointless excesses that are usually out of fashion or worthless after a short time.

The simple fact that people waste money all of the time helps me to not waste money, as I can learn from other peoples mistakes (and wasted money) rather than my own (I have made enough mistakes already). If someone chooses to waste their own money on some shiny toy, thats up to them, but half of the time poeple dont even realise they are wasting money, and that ignorance is what brings out my pity. A little free advice on how to save some money by buying the "right" product vs the most expensive is a good thing that benefits the buyer every time.

ON Topic

As I have already said I have no problem with people using Apple PC's if they actually need to use them, the vast majority simply dont, its a glorified web browser for most, but your stance seems to be along the lines of paint it with gold, cover it with diamonds and it really is worth more as a web browsing PC, and anyone who spends a £million on that machine will be the envy of the world. Thats simply bollocks, in exactly the same way as I would take the piss out of anyone who tells me about their top of the line 6-core PC with 16GB of RAM and the worlds fastest SSD that they trawl the web with and occasionaly stretch its legs with a hardcore game of solitaire, anyone who does that is a cock, a complete and utter cock, I will laugh at them and I will pity them in the same way that I do you and you bizarre opinion on this matter.

Going back to the iPad, I still cant see why someone would want one when they cant use it as it is as a word processor, they cant multi-task they cant use more than 1 USB device, they cant video-conference (unless they have a mirror handy), so it is useless as a laptop replacement lets all agree on that point.

Its nothing more than a blown up iPhone without the phone, so although browsing the internet with one hand is not unusual for many people, unless you have something handy (excuse the pune) to prop it up on you dont even have the second (non-web browsing) hand to use. Reading e-books seems to be its secondary function which by all acounts it does very well (unless your outside, or are in a position where you cant avoid light reflected off of the screen. Playing media seems to be its third function, but who really wants to play music from such a large slab as this.? Video obviously is a much better choice on the media front, but its not a widescreen format, and its not close to high-def. Who is going to sit holding this this thing through a whole film, very few I suspect, so the lack of any kind of built in stand seems to be an oversight.

I doubt that anyone who buys one of these will have really thought "why" am I buying this, this is a "jack of all trades" product that excels at nothing and costs far more than it should.

For the cost of this product, you can buy a netbook that is at home with movies (widescreen, but not quite as high res for the cheaper end of products) that has its own stand for the screen, has a keyboard so word processing can actually become an option, more than one usb port and the ability to multi-task, no problem either as an e-reader. You can also video conference if you wish, and 10-hours of battery life is an option. You can also save enough money for a decent smart-phone for your truly portable needs.

Again, why does the iPad exist apart for morons to give Apple $500 for a $300 product.

Andy

qviri

Post by qviri » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:17 pm

Redzo wrote:A Mercedes will get you to work just as any old (still functional car) will..Why do ppl buy them instead of Nissan Micras and other el cheapo cars out there ?

So, what you are saying is that Apple products are status symbols purchased by insecure people for their image and image alone?

psyopper
Friend of SPCR

Post by psyopper » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:51 pm

[sarcasm]Yeah, really! WTF are you people thinking with your whole IPS panel bullshit.

I can see my email just damned fine with my TN Film panel, why on earth would I spend triple the amount for something that doesn't give me triple the performance? Take your high falootin' monitor and go screw yourself with it.

[/sarcasm]
:D

nick705

Post by nick705 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:50 am

Redzo wrote:

You are so right.

I have an iPhone, and have taken care not to delete the default "sent from my iPhone" footer which accompanies each outgoing email. When a jealous Micra owner tried to tell me that it was actually a bit crass and made me look like a knobhead, I soon put him straight - make no mistake, when people know I have an iPhone, they will look up to me, because it's a very fine phone indeed (no less a person than Steve Jobs has said so).

When I buy an iPad (you see, I am rich and successful, and can easily afford such things, unlike jealous Micra owners), people will look up to me even more, because I have an iPad.

psypopper wrote: [sarcasm]Yeah, really! WTF are you people thinking with your whole IPS panel bullshit.

I can see my email just damned fine with my TN Film panel, why on earth would I spend triple the amount for something that doesn't give me triple the performance? Take your high falootin' monitor and go screw yourself with it.

[/sarcasm]
I recently bought an HP monitor with an IPS panel, but unfortunately it doesn't have an Apple badge, so I'm waiting eagerly for an Apple Cinema Display at double the price, using the same panel. I will buy the Apple, and then people will look up to me, realising that I am rich and successful, and can easily afford such things...

judge56988
Friend of SPCR

Post by judge56988 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:11 am

Never mind a Mercedes, this is the car that will get you the most envious looks:

More ideas here

alleycat

Post by alleycat » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:54 am

andyb wrote:Not everyone wants to wave their willy in the playground and constantly show of their "shiny" toys to the world (which often get stolen), some of us want some real substance and not all of the fakeness that comes with many (but not all) Apple products.
There seems to be plenty of "willy waving" in this thread. It's becoming increasingly fashionable on tech sites to be seen as anti-Apple. It's as if people think it gives them some kind of "geek cred". In fact it's becoming rather boring. Apple stuff is more expensive... wow, what a news flash.

I used to get irritated by the Apple fan club, but now I find the anti-Apple groupthink even worse. Just sounds like a bunch of whiny teenagers trying to outdo each other with puerile comments.

ces

Post by ces » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:32 am

You know what I think? I think anyone who would obsess about the hardware or software choices of another person... or care about what such a person thinks of their personal choice in computers... well this is what I think of them.

What do you what computers someone else likes - or whether or not someone approves of your taste in computers.

Give it a break guys :)

danimal wrote:picture deleted

alleycat

Post by alleycat » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:47 am

Did you really need to post that photo again? It was bad enough the first time.

ces

Post by ces » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:52 am

alleycat wrote:Did you really need to post that photo again? It was bad enough the first time.
Yeah, sort of like throwing skunk smell on the thread. :)

Fayd

Post by Fayd » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:28 am

i'll give it a week, and then i'll quote that photo again.