Big SturL's Silent Solo

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Big SturL

Big SturL's Silent Solo

Post by Big SturL » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:24 am

Not too original, not too bold, but still a nice, silenced computer.

Specs:
Gigabyte GA-P31-DS3L
Intel Pentium E2200
Kingston HyperX PC8500 DDR2 2x1024MB
Asus GeForce 9600GSO 384MB
WD EcoGreen 500GB
Antec NeoPower 430
Antec Solo case
Thermalright TRUE
Cooler Master CoolViva Z1

I'm running all the fans at 5 V. Now, some of you might argue that the TRUE wasn't made for low flow, but it has done its job nicely. Of course, when you're cooling a stock E2200, not much is really required...

The VGA-cooler is a cheap one ($20-30) from Cooler Master, but it's doing the job perfectly, cooling the 9600GSO.

Noctuas are overpriced and "loud" by the way, so I am going to swap them for some Nexus' (for 1/3 of the price...).

The HDD is the WD EcoGreen 5400rpm, which supposedly is very quiet, but I am not entirely in favor of that assertion... Perhaps these type of drives just aren't that quiet.

If anyone should wonder, the foam is of low density, and is actually for speaker boxes. While it hardly reduces vibrational noise, air borne noise is hopefully reduces a bit (I really haven't tested without it). And, it is of course more esthetically pleasing.

This computer has been pretty much unchanged since august 2008. Except for changing the PSU-fan.

Excuse the dust.
Last edited by Big SturL on Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Post by frenchie » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:36 am

Nice build !!!

I'd really LOVE to hear your impressions of the nexus fans... I'm running noctuas (one on GPU, on as exhaust) as well but I'm very tempted to buy a nexus to try it out.

KadazanPL

Post by KadazanPL » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:55 am

A stealth DVD drive! Care to share more details?

This is one neat build, one question though: why did you choose to place your HDD on a piece of foam, rather than use the suspension system?

len509

Post by len509 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:41 pm

KadazanPL wrote:one question though: why did you choose to place your HDD on a piece of foam, rather than use the suspension system?
Was wondering the same thing. That drive might get pretty warm since its not in the direct airflow path.

Big SturL

Post by Big SturL » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:42 am

Thank you for your comments.

frenchie:
I have to admit that I do not have extensive experience with the Nexus fans, but I can say that the 80mm one I am using in the PSU is almost dead silent at 5 V; I need to put my head at the back of the computer to hear it. The sound is a low-frequency hum, whilst I feel that the 80mm Noctua on the VGA-cooler has a higher pitched noise. Of course, this could be due to the fact that it is running at a higher number of RPMs, but seeing as I don't have a potentiometer, or an adjustable power supply, I won't be able to test this.

The 120mm at the back is the NF-P12, that is, Noctuas top model with the "vortex-control notches". This is the one making the most noise actually, a sort of rounded, yet sharp tone. Of course, all this is relative, but this is SPCR, and one can not make compromises when it comes to noise! The thing is that, not much is really supporting the price of the Noctuas, at least not for this purpose. I bought the NF-P12 with hopes of getting the best flow/noise fan out, there, but realized soon that while that may be true, the noise part is far better with other fans.

KadazanPL:
The stealth DVD-drive is really easy to make. I simply used some neoprene with adhesive and glued a couple of strips to the front of the DVD-tray. Then I placed the 5,1/4" cover over its slot, and the pushed the DVD-drive (which had been inserted beforehand) forwards until they stuck together. If you look closer, you'll see that I've used the same neoprene on the eject button (which when I look at the pictures, does not look good at all...).

KadazanPL/len509:
I have yet to discover a HDD that gets exceedingly hot, and in my experience, very few drives actually need any form of airflow. As long as the inside of the case is somewhat cool, they are fine. Also, the WD EcoGreen is exceptionally cold, not rising much above 35°C in its current configuration.

I hope this sorts some things out, and feel free to ask me any questions regarding this build!

bozar

Post by bozar » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:35 am

Why did you position the HDD on foam? If you really want a quiet drive I urge you to buy a Himuro or similar and put that on foam or suspend it like I've done in my P182.

PlanetOfTheApes

Post by PlanetOfTheApes » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:08 pm

Big SturL wrote: The 120mm at the back is the NF-P12, that is, Noctuas top model with the "vortex-control notches". This is the one making the most noise actually, a sort of rounded, yet sharp tone. Of course, all this is relative, but this is SPCR, and one can not make compromises when it comes to noise! The thing is that, not much is really supporting the price of the Noctuas, at least not for this purpose. I bought the NF-P12 with hopes of getting the best flow/noise fan out, there, but realized soon that while that may be true, the noise part is far better with other fans.
To reduce noise, try mounting the NF-P12 on the cpu cooler (pull position), plug it into in the CPU fan header and reduce speed to around 600 rpm.

I think the NF-S12B ULN is the most quiet Noctua fan. I did an open air noise test (vertical position) on the NF-S12B vs Nexus Real Silent 120mm @ 600rpm and concluded that the NF-S12B was a touch quieter. However, due to sample variation, I'd say that it's impossible to have a clear winner. Update: Test limitation - I've just noticed that I'm ignoring cooling performance between the two fans at the same speed.
Last edited by PlanetOfTheApes on Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aamsel

Post by aamsel » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:02 pm

Have you tried the NF-P12 with either of the voltage-reducing
resistors that are included with them?
My understanding is that they still get decent air flow with the
lower voltage and undoubtedly would be a good bit more quiet?

PlanetOfTheApes

Post by PlanetOfTheApes » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:10 pm

NF-P12 is specifically developed for CPU coolers.
Last edited by PlanetOfTheApes on Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aamsel

Post by aamsel » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:27 pm

PlanetOfTheApes wrote:NF-P12 is not supplied with speed adapters because it was specifically developed for CPU coolers and would be speed adjusted via mobo fan control.
The NF-P12's I just got from Newegg came with 2 adapters, including ULNA.
They are listed in the product description.
Am I missing something here, or did I get a new version?

aamsel

Post by aamsel » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:28 pm

aamsel wrote:
PlanetOfTheApes wrote:NF-P12 is not supplied with speed adapters because it was specifically developed for CPU coolers and would be speed adjusted via mobo fan control.
Here is the Newegg link:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product

PlanetOfTheApes

Post by PlanetOfTheApes » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:04 pm

aamsel wrote:
aamsel wrote:
Here is the Newegg link:
I stand corrected. Noctua web site doesn't mention adapters, but their infosheet pdf does mention that adapters are supplied.

aamsel

Post by aamsel » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:34 pm

PlanetOfTheApes wrote:
aamsel wrote:
aamsel wrote: The NF-P12's I just got from Newegg came with 2 adapters, including ULNA.
Here is the Newegg link:
I stand corrected. Noctua web site doesn't mention adapters, but their infosheet pdf does mention that adapters are supplied.
No problem, glad I was not wrong! :)
I hope that they will be very quiet with the ULNA's.

PlanetOfTheApes

Re: Big SturL's Silent Solo

Post by PlanetOfTheApes » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:19 pm

Big SturL wrote: I'm running all the fans at 5 V.
Looks like the NF-P12 is already undervolted, so adapters may not help/work.

Removing the case fan and placing it on the cpu cooler may help to reduce noise and improve cpu cooling. I'd also use mobo fan control to further reduce speed/noise.

Here's Noctua fans noise and pressure comparisons from their website:

http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=nf_s ... son&lng=en

Funny thing is that my cpu fan, NF-S12B ULN, indicates ~600 instead of 500 rpm even with the lowest speed adapter.

PlanetOfTheApes

Post by PlanetOfTheApes » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:41 pm

aamsel wrote: I hope that they will be very quiet with the ULNA's.
I've never tried a NF-P12, but it should be very quiet at low speeds (~600). Use the lowest speed adapter and mobo fan control to further reduce speed. Undervolting your CPU will also help reduce load noise/temps.

Look out for manufacturing defects, a wobbly blade will increase noise. One of my NF-S12B ULN blades has a slight wobble and is a touch noisier than the other.

aamsel

Post by aamsel » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:05 pm

PlanetOfTheApes wrote:
aamsel wrote: I hope that they will be very quiet with the ULNA's.
I've never tried a NF-P12, but it should be very quiet at low speeds (~600). Use the lowest speed adapter and mobo fan control to further reduce speed. Undervolting your CPU will also help reduce load noise/temps.

Look out for manufacturing defects, a wobbly blade will increase noise. One of my NF-S12B ULN blades has a slight wobble and is a touch noisier than the other.
thanks, will do.

Big SturL

Post by Big SturL » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:04 am

bozar wrote:Why did you position the HDD on foam? If you really want a quiet drive I urge you to buy a Himuro or similar and put that on foam or suspend it like I've done in my P182.
Well, I guess I really didn't feel that the HDD-encasisngs was worth the pricetag. In retrospect, I wish I would have spent less on the CPU-cooler, and rather invested in one of those. Fortunately, I still have that option.