2010 Olympics USA live coverage workaround?

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

2010 Olympics USA live coverage workaround?

Post by xan_user » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:20 am

NBC has managed to completely destroyed any real coverage here. Anyone in the US find a way to see actual live coverage? (or at least coverage that shows whole events, rather than just some select athletes.)

Im in the same time zone as the games, but its all tape delayed fluff pieces with adds every 5 minutes. Lots of fireside commentary, but no actual event coverage.

NBC was nice enough to start the Olympic coverage with slow motion snuff film. What a way to inspire kids to want to be Olympians. :twisted:

I would rather watch a test pattern with audio of fingernails on a chalkboard than suffer through any more of the NBC "coverage".

I tried the outside US proxy route, but still had problems getting flash video to work.

So far all I found that works... and its delayed.

http://atdhe.net/index.html

We'll see how long before the NBC cronies manage to block that here too...

outbackyak

Post by outbackyak » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:56 am

Can't help you I'm afraid, but it looks like the coverage your getting is the same sort of dreck being dished up to us here in Australia on commercial TV.

5 minutes of moguls, then a 5 minute segment on how good the shopping is at the ski village. Then an ad break, and back for a 5 minute segment by some washed-up comedian about how nobody in the commentary team likes him. Then more ads. Then some luge. Then a 5 minute segment on how beautiful Vancouver is. More ads. Then a deep and meaningful interview with a 15 year old Australian who came 23rd in the moguls. Then a recap of the opening ceremony, with "funny" insights by the washed-up comedian. More ads ...

For God's sake! Just show us the sport, and stop with the talking and the pretty pictures. And somebody kill the comedian ... please!

Cheers!

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:24 am

watching GS live form the above link now, its really cool to hear it in German.

they actually show every run- Imagine that!

BTW- the aussie mens Mogul guys is a spammer/maleware :evil:

outbackyak

Post by outbackyak » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:08 pm

xan_user wrote:BTW- the aussie mens Mogul guys is a spammer/maleware :evil:
Yep - Dale Begg-Smith. I thought it was really funny how the TV coverage here refers to him as "an internet millionaire" while carefully never mentioning how he makes his millions.
His business has been linked to the distribution of software which causes undesirable side-effects to users' computers[6], and as The Sydney Morning Herald reports: 'The Herald has followed a trail of digital fingerprints scattered over the web which shows Mr Begg-Smith's long and rewarding involvement in the distribution of "malicious software" - otherwise known as malware, spyware and adware.'[7] Begg-Smith's manager, Mr David Malina from IMG, said reports about his client's business had been "exaggerated".[7]
Source: Wikipedia
Thanks for that link to the Olympics stream, xan_user, that's how sport TV should be.

Cheers!

spookmineer
Patron of SPCR

Post by spookmineer » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:13 pm

If you only get snippets and not complete events, you will lose things like this:

I'm watching the 500 mtr speed skating. There is a mopping (?) intermission.
Both Zambonis are dead, and they're spraying the ice with what looks like garden hoses...

The budget was... 4 billion maybe? A third Zamboni would've been nice.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:29 pm

I want to drive a Zamboni!

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:38 pm

NBC thugs are flexing their mighty muscles/
This Channel is blocked by admin.
:twisted: :evil:

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:56 pm

This link is working, and they are speaking in English:

http://atdhe.net/8518/watch-xxi-winter-olympics

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Post by frenchie » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:28 pm

Try france2 and france3 (google for exact link).
We get pretty good coverage here for once. It'll be in french though.... but you won't be missing much ;)

outbackyak

Post by outbackyak » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:11 am

NeilBlanchard wrote:This link is working, and they are speaking in English:

It's blocked now too.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:47 am

frenchie wrote:Try france2 and france3 (google for exact link).
We get pretty good coverage here for once. It'll be in french though.... but you won't be missing much ;)
but NBC and IOC has/is blocked(ing) US ip's...

why is it a cat and mouse game to see athletes live in the "land of the free"?

I will not buy anything advertised during the Olympics

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:11 am

Personally I have no interest in the winter olympics, but I understand the problem.

If a TV channel is going to show a live sporting event, then they should show it, and advertise when nothing sporting is actually happening.

Over here we have just recently got rid of the problem of ITV (AKA Channel 3) showing the F1 races "live" with breaks. Now that F1 has moved back to BBC1 (AKA Channel 1) everyone is now happier, and people who got fed up of watching it on ITV have now re-started watching F1 again.

I Use this website from time to time, when I want to watch British football that is not shown on British TV - Bastards.

http://www.myp2p.eu/

You can also try finding your way to the "country section" and watch "Eurosport" from the UK, I will also link you the TV Guide.

http://www.tvguide.co.uk/

Andy
Last edited by andyb on Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:39 am

If those aren't blocked in the US yet, they will be soon...

Dont get me wrong adds are part of the way it works, but they shouldn't be the entire focus. In the USA we got 30 minutes of downhill coverage yesterday. we saw like 15% of the competitors- if that. What a crock.
This is why im pissed at the sponsors. also i see some competitors are begin forced to block out logs' while some other special competitors are getting away with plugging their wares with visible logo's.

But realistically when was the last time, if ever, a tv add made you actually buy something?

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:48 am

But realistically when was the last time, if ever, a tv add made you actually buy something?
They have often made me NOT buy something - "Cillit BANG" being an example. Adverts only ever work for me if I know nothing about the type of product/company, or to make me aware of said company's existance.

I hate most adverts to the degree that ABP is on all of the time on FF, and I would rather download TV programs than watch them on TV.

Now I have a V+ box (Like a sky+ box but from Virgin) I can simply record stuff, or start watching a live sporting event, pause it at the start, and then start watching it 10 minutes later so I can fast forward through half time. This of course wont help when they are simply not showing huge amounts of it to start with.

Have you looked on TPB for a torrent.? Someone might have recorded it on a decent channel that actually has coverage, but of course it wont be live :(

Andy

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:04 am

andyb wrote:
Have you looked on TPB for a torrent.? Someone might have recorded it on a decent channel that actually has coverage, but of course it wont be live :(

Andy
In this modern age, it should all be at our fingertips...the IOC should have unlimited access to live feeds on the web for everyone. Let the networks decide how they want to replay the event on TV in prime time, but I want to see the whole event, not just what some suit think i want to watch.

The opening ceremony ran long, so most dvr's missed the lighting of the torch, and since it was after midnight when they showed 'US' the so called live event, very few kids were able to stay awake and be inspired by the ceremony. Sad.

I would gladly pay a fee to gain access to the complete events i want to watch, while skipping those that do not interest me.

But we get 4 hours of ice dancing and 30 minutes of skiing? WTF?

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:16 am

I would gladly pay a fee to gain access to the complete events i want to watch, while skipping those that do not interest me.
You already pay for it, but you dont get to see what you want to see, when you want to see it, without all of the crap that you dont want to see. But no doubt they would want blood for that privilege.

This is why I dont have a problem paying the BBC their licence fee, they dont have commercial adverts, and they dont interupt sporting events at all, even if Wimbledon goes on for 4 hours and 48 minutes - now thats a quality service that I am happy to pay for.
But we get 4 hours of ice dancing and 30 minutes of skiing? WTF?
Thats bullcrap, Ice Dancing barely a sport in my eyes, in the same way that dancing is not a sport, Ice Dancing only just makes it because its dancing on a flat smooth slippery substance whilst standing on 2 razor thin blades - that takes some skill.

Anyway skiing is far more entertaining than Ice skating, and having a ratio of 8-1 is simply wrong - do you think they are going after the chick crowd.?

Andy

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Post by frenchie » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:32 am

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:57 am

Le plugin Silverlight n'est pas disponible sur votre navigateur
I am not going to Install Silverlight (work PC) to watch curling - one of the most boring sports ever concieved, its nothing more than Bowls on ice, with a twist, they added brooms.

So I dont know whether the quality is any good or not, or even if it can be viewed outside of France.

Andy

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:18 am

I have silverlight...
Video non disponible
USA=LAME

Looks like any stream is eventually getting blocked here.

When did censorship become the hallmark of a free country?

What is this, China?

Crap...I bet even China has real coverage.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:12 am

When did censorship become the hallmark of a free country?
When the people with money (tv networks) got into government.
Good luck finding a stream coming out of China, "the great firewall of China" will probably have blocked them.

Andy

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:25 pm

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2010/2/12 ... oycott-NBC

after a few days of surfing the interwebz/boards it clear that no body in the US likes this crap, so why do we get the same , or worse, coverage year after year?

There are even some speculating that Google is filtering search results in the US. and btw some "NBC coverage worst ever" or "how to watch streaming Olympics in USA" ect search result links are compromised with trojans/worm ect. I wonder if NBC had the aussie mogul douche write some scripts for them?

And here I was actually hoping NBC would listen to their critics from past games and give US some actual real coverage, not these puffy special interest stories about people they think might win. and 3 downhill runs.

and its not just NBC being pig headed, the IOC refunded 40,000 people standing room only tickets due to snow for boarder cross? When really it was because they did not have the toilets food or buses to deal with it!
Last edited by xan_user on Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

psiu

Post by psiu » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:27 pm

I honestly haven't checked yet, and I figured it would be like this when I saw a pre-Olympic column by a writer (I think it was on espn but who knows) begging to just let us watch the Olympics. He had been at the Nagano Olympics (I think) and it was exciting for the fans/athletes etc, but when he phoned home no one cared because of the awful soul-sucking coverage.

qviri

Post by qviri » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:58 pm

andyb wrote:Thats bullcrap, Ice Dancing barely a sport in my eyes, in the same way that dancing is not a sport, Ice Dancing only just makes it because its dancing on a flat smooth slippery substance whilst standing on 2 razor thin blades - that takes some skill.

Anyway skiing is far more entertaining than Ice skating, and having a ratio of 8-1 is simply wrong - do you think they are going after the chick crowd.?
Land a triple Axel while someone a metre away is doing the same at the same time and get back to us. Great to see some sexist stereotypes, too.
andyb wrote:
Good luck finding a stream coming out of China, "the great firewall of China" will probably have blocked them.
China is far more interested in blocking things coming in -- Chinese-originated video streams, live or otherwise, are quite popular around the world due to China's lack of concern for profits of Western corporations.

Your comments on curling don't even deserve a reply.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:04 pm

I doubt this will work outside of the UK, but its worth a shot.

If not try the second link.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympic ... efault.stm

http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f4 ... yer-57585/

According to this, its live on BBC 2 until 5 AM GMT.

http://www.tvguide.co.uk/

Another option.

http://hurwi.net/blog/?p=28

If you can find a working stream without having to install any software that would be great.

This website seems to stream BBC1 when you chose BBC2, as it seems to be showing the news, weird, or its not live - weird.

http://www.viewmy.tv/#viewmytv

Good luck.

http://www.proxy4free.com/

Website with a silly amount of proxy servers.

http://www.proxy4free.com/

I got that from here - the last post.

http://www.webmasterworld.com/foo/3582754.htm

Andy
Last edited by andyb on Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:12 pm

NeilBlanchard wrote:This link is working, and they are speaking in English:

Kaspersky claim's that url is a phishing site. Neil wants to go 2 for 2 in the malware olympics :-)
Last edited by CA_Steve on Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:14 pm

Land a triple Axel while someone a metre away is doing the same at the same time and get back to us.
Seen it, impressive skill, but totally boring, the same as I think about dancing not-on-ice.
Great to see some sexist stereotypes, too.
Its only sexist if its not true, and I dont know a single man that watches ice skating, but I know several women who do.
China is far more interested in blocking things coming in -- Chinese-originated video streams, live or otherwise, are quite popular around the world due to China's lack of concern for profits of Western corporations.
Good point, woth a shot still.
Your comments on curling don't even deserve a reply.
Oh go on...... My top 4 worst most boring pointless sports in my personal opinion, not in any order. Synchronised swimming, Kabaddi, Curling, Cricket. What sports do you really dislike/find boring.?

Andy

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:27 pm

nbcolympics.com

Some live, mostly full replays. HD streaming at 3.5Mbps. commercial at load, then commercial free.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:10 pm

Ice dancing is fine, just show everything else too. 5 down hill runs vs 5 hours of ice dancing is just not fair.

If i try and watch the downhill feed on nbc it want me to log in to prove i have pay tv service...wft?

talk about phishing...
It's a quick and simple one-time process. At NBCOlympics.com, select your cable, satellite or IPTV provider from the dropdown list. You will be required to login as you would to manage your home account, access email, etc. You will need to validate your subscription to your cable, satellite or IPTV provider.

If your cable, satellite or IPTV provider is NOT listed above, then it's not in partnership with NBC Olympics. Don't worry though, you ALREADY CAN VIEW hundreds of video clips such as athlete features and Torino highlights, and you will have access to event highlights during the Vancouver Games. Click here to watch video now.
Wheres the OTA option?

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:56 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympic ... 520464.stm

A gold medal :)

Why do they actaully bother with a crash helmet, the visor I can understand, but surely the helmet is of little use if they crash at those insane speeds head first.

Andy