Mini-ITX Case that has built-in IR, does it exist?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Kozanator

Mini-ITX Case that has built-in IR, does it exist?

Post by Kozanator » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:26 pm

I'm looking to build a very small HTPC, but am having trouble finding a case that supports the following:

- 200/300 Watt Power Supply
- Mini-ITX Form Factor
- Built-in IR
- Built-in Card Readers
- Built-in LCD Screen (just a small one would be nice)
- Room for a slim slot loading DVD/Blu-Ray Burner
- Room for a 2.5" HDD
- Room for the Low Profile Sparkle GTS 250 Video Card (It's big) or Room for a Low Profile Dual TV Tuner or a Low Profile Cable Card (I haven't decided which route to take yet)

I have a feeling that nothing like this exists yet, but I hope I am wrong and one of you can steer me in the right direction. The smaller the case, the better! Any thoughts?

I am looking at using the new ZOTAC H55-ITX Motherboard (the one that supports the iCore processors)

Thank you.

Kozanator

Post by Kozanator » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:29 pm

I've looked and looked and here are my findings so far...

Winsis Wi-02C

It's very small and it supports everything in my list except an LCD Screen and Built-in IR. I'm just concerned about the Video Card and if it would actually fit in such a small case even though it is a Low Profile Card.

SilverStone SST-SG06B

It's a cube shaped case and a little bigger than I wanted but at least it gives me more options for a video card if the one I currently want is too fat. Unfortunately, it doesn't have the built-in Card reader, IR or LCD Screen that I wanted.

I'm still looking... Hopefully I haven't over looked something. InWin, Antec, Apex, Compucase, Cooler Master, Foxconn,

kieran45

Post by kieran45 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:16 am

The Luxa2 LM100 mini does just about everything you want, bar the card reader. A bit pricy, but nice looking. Not sure about noise, or the ability to cool a GTS250, but I wouldn't really think any miniITX case could do that properly.

Kozanator

Post by Kozanator » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:05 am

Thanks.

The Luxa2 LM100 Mini looks really nice but after reading the review on this website, it makes me worry about it's ability to cool the GTS250.

I think I'm leaning towards the SilverStone SST-SG06B because it's still got that nice brushed finish and lots of ventilation. I just wish it had built-in IR, small LCD screen (with good viewing angles) and a card reader. Heck... there is enough room on the front to do that, I don't see why SilverStone doesn't update the SG06B to include those options. Then it would be the killer mini HTPC case.

Well, I'm still looking...

BinaryTB

Post by BinaryTB » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:28 am

Any luck? I'm in a similar boat, but require IR and don't care much for the reader, LCD would be nice.

Kozanator

Not looking anymore

Post by Kozanator » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:37 am

Hi,

I kind of gave up looking for one at the moment. I'm now super busy planning a wedding for next year and watching my bank account disappear.

rpruden

No need for Video card

Post by rpruden » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:07 pm

With the new motherboards, you don't need to worry about getting a video card in there. Just pick one of the new i3 or i5 mini iTX boards. The processors themselves have integrated HD video which is ample for dedicated Media Center PC's. (All of the i3's and all of the DUAL core i5's have integrated video. For an HTPC you don't really need any more than the i3 though) Now if you were to be doing Gaming, you might want one but it sounds like you want a good media center ONLY PC.

I have been shopping around too and it is hard to find a mini itx case that supports all of those features. If worse comes to worst, you can get a slightly larger case that also has a 3.5 bay and just add this on.

Newegg Item# N82E16811999191 (it wont let me post links because I haven't been a member long enough) Just go to newegg and search for that item number.

It looks nice and works with Media Center remotes.

BinaryTB

Post by BinaryTB » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:19 pm

I ended up going with an Apex MI-008, no IR (unless I do the custom IR job mentioned here: viewtopic.php?t=51968).

I looked at the Antec 3.5" IR bay, but I've heard horrible things about imon, plus I want to be able to use IR with EventGhost, and imon won't allow that, so decided to pull out my trust USB-UIRT and use that with my new case. I should be able to hide it in my entertainment center since it only depends on the length of the USB cable used.

As for getting a video card in there, I'm leaving an i3 in there untouched, but I may upgrade it with a nvidia card maybe, eventually. I've just had pretty bad experiences with Intel drivers (and their hardware, but this new i3 batch should be fast enough for video) and I've always liked nvidia driver support and options.

themaster1

Post by themaster1 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:09 pm

It depends of what you wanna do with the Ir : turn on /off the computer. I recently bought a system that allow me to do that see here It works with 99% of the remotes.

Then to control my softwares (DvbViewer > for HDTv, media player, else) i use the integrated Ir that's on my USB stick HDTV which is a hauppauge Nova-T HD. Works with Eventghost flawlessly.

The good side is that i only use one remote for the 2 Ir, the downside is that you must install the pcs-1 yourself but it's not really hard frankly the manual (.pdf) is well written.

BinaryTB

Post by BinaryTB » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:17 pm

Ah yeah, don't need the IR to turn on/off the htpc, I just want it to control Boxee and 7MC. Boxee/XBMC have built-in event servers and EventGhost works perfectly with them. Plus I don't want a USB stick sticking out in front of my htpc (assuming it has to be to pick up the ir signal).

Hazelrah

Post by Hazelrah » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:54 pm

IR is pretty temperamental compared to Bluetooth. I have an external IR receiver that came with my MCE remote, and it connects to the computer with a long USB cord. I actually like having an external IR receiver because my HTPC is located a little far from the TV, and this way I can keep the IR receiver by the TV and point all my remotes in that direction. It has IR blaster functionality to send IR signals in other directions, although I don't use it in my current setup.

Sometimes I do find myself forgetting about the receiver and pointing my remote in the direction of the HTPC though.

It sounds like you're talking about an IR receiver on a USB stick, but same idea. You can get a USB extension cord, connect it to the back of your HTPC, and route the cord in a discreet way to a convenient location.

usbircan

Re: Mini-ITX Case that has built-in IR, does it exist?

Post by usbircan » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:33 pm

hi,

what you recommend to use with Intel CIR as an internal IR recevier? So that No external USB recevier and save usb header/port..

Regards,
U. Sertac BIRCAN