HD 5770 non-reference fits S1?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Chris Beard
Patron of SPCR

HD 5770 non-reference fits S1?

Post by Chris Beard » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:54 am

HIS have a non-reference PCB layout on some of their HD5770 cards - looks like it might fit an S1 which would be pretty cool.

Anyone wanna take a guess?

linky: http://www.hisdigital.com/gb/product2-490.shtml

Tzupy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Tzupy » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:30 am

It should fit just fine, I bought one and an S1, but couldn't yet find time to install it. The stock cooler has two 8 mm heatpipes, but only 2 pins fan and it's noisy.
I currently have a 4850 with S1, and the GPU socket for this particular 5770 is ~1cm relatively moved towards the front of the case, so even more space in the back than the 4850. I still haven't decided what heatsinks to use for the VRMs, they are 3 phases with 3 mosfets each for the GPU and one phase with two mosfets for the memory. And located on the left part of the PCB, that's why the GPU socket is moved to the right.

Chris Beard
Patron of SPCR

Post by Chris Beard » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:07 pm

Thank you - you're a simply wonderful person. That's a really detailed and helpful answer.

May you only find happiness - and much computer-related peace.

Deliriou5

Post by Deliriou5 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:41 am

I too thank you. Very good information.

I also have a 4850 with a S1 rev2 on it and was hoping to reuse it, but was concerned with the placement on reference boards.

One other question for you, does your HIS card properly down clock your GPU and Mem (and/or down volt) while idle? I've heard of some cards not idleing properly...

-Deliriou5

Tzupy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Tzupy » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:20 am

I'm sorry, but couldn't verify the 2D clocks yet, the card is installed in my backup PC and something's wrong with the XP, I'll have to reinstall it.
The CCC doesn't show up, for some strange reason, so I couldn't check the clocks. I will sort it out in the coming weekend.
PS. HIS also have other 5770s which don't seem to be compatible with the S1, so please check that the product code is H577FM1GD.
My guess is that the H577FL1GD has the same cooler, and same GPU socket position, only the cover is different, so it should fit S1 too.

kater

Post by kater » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:28 am

I hope you'll find some time to post pics when the combo is ready. 5770 + S1 is a huge win, provided the GPU is positioned properly. Also, can you please specify the mounting holes distances? I'm hoping to fit HR-11 there, as it now lies useless cause it won't fit on 4770.

And please - pics pics pics pics pics pics pics 8)

javitxi

Post by javitxi » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:54 am

I would like to add myself to the opinion of kater, because I have an Accelero Twin Turbo which was mounted on an Asus 4850 (nothing more done). I'm tired of my bad VGA (I have bad luck I suppose x2 times, the first time with Accelero mounted ->warranty, the second time no mod done->warranty xD) so probably I'll change to 5770 and if I can reuse the HSF, I'll probably mount it.

+1 about a wide bunch of pics and measures, please :D

scara

Post by scara » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:18 am

I bought this card (HIS H577FM1GD) a month ago and fitted an S1 yesterday. The short story is that it fits and works very, very well.

The stock card:
The CCC shows that the card clocks down to 157/300 at idle with a minimum fan speed of 35% which in my case results in an idle temperature of 35c. The fan is fairly quiet but the high pitch makes it noticeable.
Using AtiTools’ spinning cube to load the card pushes the temp above 80c with the fan speed climbing to 50%. By 40% I would describe the fan as noisy; 50% will be practically unbearable for anyone here. It never seemed to get quite that loud during normal use but it was still obtrusive while gaming.

With Accelero S1 rev2 fitted:
The GPU now idles at 30c and stabilises at just under 60c at load. Thats using a TJ08 case with a Nexus intake and an AC F12 PWM for exhaust with both spinning at ~900rpm.
After this like-for-like test I decided to experiment with the fans further as I still wasn’t happy with the noise level. They’re now at 650rpm intake and 750rpm exhaust which has resulted in no change at idle and a minor increase to 65c at load.

Sorry I’ve got no pictures, hopefully Tzupy can take some. I haven’t tried any games yet or tested for long periods but I’ll post again if there are any problems. For now though, I can’t recommend this combination highly enough. It means my system is closer to silent than it’s ever been.

A couple of notes:
I gently rubbed the vrm and ram chips with an eraser and warmed the chips and heatsinks with a hairdryer before installing. They all gripped very well and I’ve no worries about any coming loose.
Once you’ve installed the cooler take it off again to check that its made proper contact with the GPU (this is easier if you haven’t already attached the black clips). I had to prise the base much further away from the main heatsink to ensure the GPU was fully touching the base.

Tzupy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Tzupy » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:33 am

Unfortunately, it seems that I bricked my card, it has no signal, and I don't know what to do next. But I took pictures (with a phone, sorry):
http://web.clicknet.ro/opticode/5770_face.jpg
http://web.clicknet.ro/opticode/5770_back.jpg
The card was working fine (idle 46C) with the stock cooler at 20%, but louder than a 120 mm fan at 800 rpm, so the stock cooler had to go.
I put Accelero memory heatsinks on mosfets too (I have plenty of those heatsinks), with Arctic Cooling Adhesive A+B.
I'll see if I can save the card tomorrow, today I am too tired and pissed off.

Tzupy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Tzupy » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:00 am

Well, the card is not bricked, but the S1 didn't make proper contact with the GPU. I put the stock cooler back and, surprise... it worked.
I replaced the preapplied MX-2 with a rather thick layer of Tuniq TX-2 and then mounted back the S1, squeezing the screws to maximum.
The temps I'm getting with a fan on the S1 are ~5C worse than with the stock cooler, and in Furmark it shot to 95+ in a couple of minutes.
But the fins of the S1 didn't get hotter than about 50C, I was expecting to be unable to keep a finger on them.
So I believe that the S1 still doesn't make proper contact with the GPU. The TX-2 layer stayed thick after installation, not much of it was pushed sideways.
I think the clear spacers of the S1 are a bit too tall. Or the 5770 GPU (on this card only?) is too low relatively to the PCB.
Anyway, right now I'm sorry for buying it. My 4850 + S1 idles at 38C and only reaches 53C in Furmark, with a 120 mm Slipstream fan at 600-750 rpm.

Scara, please elaborate on what you did to ensure proper contact between the GPU and S1.

PS. For comparison, I checked the S1 fins' temperatures' when idle and in Furmark, mounted on my 4850, and they are quite low.
I correct my previous statement , that the S1 doesn't make good contact with the 5770 GPU, the S1 fins are significantly hotter on 5770 than on 4850.
Which makes me believe that this 5770 - that I may have damaged - is now drawing more power than my 4850, so it's a nono.

marp

Post by marp » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:04 pm

Tzupy wrote:Well, the card is not bricked, but the S1 didn't make proper contact with the GPU. I put the stock cooler back and, surprise... it worked.
I replaced the preapplied MX-2 with a rather thick layer of Tuniq TX-2 and then mounted back the S1, squeezing the screws to maximum.
The temps I'm getting with a fan on the S1 are ~5C worse than with the stock cooler, and in Furmark it shot to 95+ in a couple of minutes.
But the fins of the S1 didn't get hotter than about 50C, I was expecting to be unable to keep a finger on them.
So I believe that the S1 still doesn't make proper contact with the GPU. The TX-2 layer stayed thick after installation, not much of it was pushed sideways.
I think the clear spacers of the S1 are a bit too tall. Or the 5770 GPU (on this card only?) is too low relatively to the PCB.
You may want to try again with thinner spacers, that's what I did. My first S1 attempt was even worse than yours: 15+ on idle and a whopping 110C during a really stupid Furmark test. The card seemed to still be working fine though, and I let it cool for some minutes before shutting down to put a fan on. The next couple of starts showed no picture in Windows though, only in safe mode, which had me worried for a while. After taking the card apart, replacing the spacers, bending the bracket back some, cleaning the base and applying a thin layer of AS5 it worked fine though. Fanless the temps are worse than the loud stock fan, but that's natural. With a quiet fan they are better.
Tzupy wrote:Anyway, right now I'm sorry for buying it. My 4850 + S1 idles at 38C and only reaches 53C in Furmark, with a 120 mm Slipstream fan at 600-750 rpm.
Sounds like an efficient 4850, or maybe just very good contact with the S1.
Tzupy wrote:PS. For comparison, I checked the S1 fins' temperatures' when idle and in Furmark, mounted on my 4850, and they are quite low.
I correct my previous statement , that the S1 doesn't make good contact with the 5770 GPU, the S1 fins are significantly hotter on 5770 than on 4850.
Which makes me believe that this 5770 - that I may have damaged - is now drawing more power than my 4850, so it's a nono.
Especially strange if the card is drawing more than before. Test the power consumption if you can. Mine increases about 100W over idle with Furmark 1.8.0, a little more than expected but part of that may be the CPU.

Btw, from the pictures I can't tell the distance between the mounting holes. If they are 42mm you may need to cut the corners on the mounting bracket.

Chris Beard
Patron of SPCR

Post by Chris Beard » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:43 am

Just to let everyone know I ended up buying a second hand 5770 with an HR-03 pre-fitted and an unlocked bios. Paid a little over the odds (£110)but the chap who sold it to me was very curtious and offered to help with RMA, so I recon I did quite well.

The other really cool thing about the HR-03 is that I've changed the orientation of my CPU sink so 1 fan can cool both at the same time.

scara

Post by scara » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:23 am

Tzupy wrote:Scara, please elaborate on what you did to ensure proper contact between the GPU and S1.
I initially thought that the clear spacers were too tall. I simply pushed down on them to bend the mounting arms towards the fins, leaving roughly half of the spacer protruding above the base. Only about 2mm more of the GPU had thermal paste on it though, so I then had to lift the base further away from the fins, which I did by forcing a wedge between the fins and protective shroud of the base. It took a couple of attempts to get it right. With the black clips in place and the holes lined up, I tightened screws 3 and 4 a few turns first before putting screws 1 and 2 in, which seemed to result in more even pressure being applied.

I’m not sure whether it was lowering the spacers, bending the cooler or both together that solved my problem. For example, I may have only had to bend the cooler because I bent it the other way when pressing on the spacers. With the cooler off, you could place two spacers either side of the chip and use a credit card on the core to check whether their height is the issue.

Also, the temp and fan speed of a load test with the stock cooler might give some idea of whether your card is drawing an unusually high amount of power.

Tzupy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Tzupy » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:48 am

Thank you, marp and scara, for your inputs. In the meantime I decided to ditch this 5770, because IMO it's not using less power than my 4850.
I spoke with a friend and he'll give me his 4670 for this 5770 (with stock cooler). He knows that it runs hot and noisy, but doesn't care much.
I'm going to buy a L2Pro for the 4670 and replace its fan with a Kaze Jyu 1,000 rpm. Controlled to 600 rpm in 2D and 1,000 in 3D, it should be fine.
So the 4850 + S1 stays in my main PC and the 4670 with L2Pro will go into my backup PC. I sacrifice performance for quietness...

Chris Beard
Patron of SPCR

Post by Chris Beard » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:12 am

We're off-topic now but if you buy an HR-03 for the 5770 it should be fine, mine is!

Tzupy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Tzupy » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:21 am

I am glad you are satisfied with the HR-03 on your 5770. But the HR-03 Rev.A is impossible to find in my country, at least now.
And to import in from the USA would have been too much trouble. If it would work (it doesn't) passively on a 5770, I'd probably go for it.

soujir0u

Post by soujir0u » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:26 am

I just received my H577FL1GD and it's pretty noisy, even with the fan at 40%. I'll try putting on the S1 this weekend, hopefully it goes without a hitch if I follow the tips here.

Chris Beard
Patron of SPCR

Post by Chris Beard » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:13 pm

Tzupy wrote:If it would work (it doesn't) passively on a 5770, I'd probably go for it.
While I will admit mine is next to a 500rpm fan I've found other forums where people are running them passive with good case airflow. I guess it works passively for some and not for others.

soujir0u

Post by soujir0u » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:49 pm

I installed the S1 on my card yesterday. The clear spacers did seem a bit too thick but I just applied some pressure and tightened the screws a bit more.

The VRM heatsinks weren't suitable so I just used the RAM heatsinks on the VRMs and left the RAM chips bare.

I don't think I can run the card passively. Room temperature was about 30C and the card was heating up really fast when running FurMark.

I then slapped on a 140mm Scythe Kaze Maru 500RPM fan and it's now cooling slightly better than the stock cooler but without all that noise. It's idling at 45C and stabilises in FurMark at 75C.

This is in an Antec Solo with a 120mm Nexus fan as the exhaust, a 120mm Nexus fan as the CPU fan (on a Ninja) and no intake.

I'm very happy with this setup. The Scythe fan is very quiet - I tried turning down the Nexus fans to 7V and I cannot hear the Scythe over them.

Bulvan10

Post by Bulvan10 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:24 am

Hi

Did any of you try mounting the S1 without the clear spacers?

silentplummet

Post by silentplummet » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:33 am

I had the same problem with the spacers on my MSI 5770 (I have a review thread in much greater detail on this forum). What I ended up doing was using sandpaper and a razor blade to make the spacers shorter. Really check to make sure the cooler is making full, even contact with the GPU core; it might be easier with a thicker compound like ceramique. I had to mount it 4 or 5 times before I was confident. I believe I have good contact now.

I wouldn't try mounting without the spacers unless you're very confident in applying even pressure to the GPU or you have a very fat wallet, since it would be very easy to crack the core. Moreover, if you go this route, make sure that there are no components around the screw holes that could be damaged if the metal 'feet' of the cooler mount came into contact with them during installation. On the MSI card there are some tiny resistors near one of the holes, so I had to go with cutting/sanding the spacers.

Bulvan10

Post by Bulvan10 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:27 am

Just for the record, I have mounted five Acceleros on varius vidcards over the years - an X1950 pro, two GTS 250, one 4850, one 9600GT - and I don't recall ever using the spacers. They are something I looked at with puzzlement last time before figuring out what they were.

All vidcards except the 4850 worked flawless, usually with lower temps than with the original fans. The 4850 experienced problems with the VRM temperature that was only fixed once a front-of-case fan was installed, blowing air on the vidcard.

So I would postulate that it is quite hard to crack a GPU, probably since the fastening screws on the Accelero are threaded into four comparably slender brackets that limit the force that can be applied. I guess you would bend them to the point of shorting or cracking the PCB before the GPU breaks.

But then again, it is only my anecdotes. Feel free to disregard it if you are more comfortable using the spacers.

[edit] Felt I might need to mention the 4850 VRM thing and point out that the Acceleros were all passive (S1rev2 if I recall correct).