Anyone Tried Tar sheet ?!

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

themaster1

Anyone Tried Tar sheet ?!

Post by themaster1 » Fri May 14, 2010 1:04 pm

I'm talking about this specifically:

I have made my little investigation and it appears tar sheet is something well known to soundproof cars.

Lubb

Post by Lubb » Fri May 14, 2010 1:20 pm

I built a case once, trying to use the spray-on sound deadener stuff for cars. It is some kind of tar with fibers added to help it "cling" better.

The stuff smelled badly like tar. I mean, it STANK like hot tar.
People said it will smell for a day, or two, but after that it won't.
Mine didn't.
Two weeks later it still smelled badly like tar. So badly I didn't want to use it indoors at all, which makes the stuff a fairly useless thing to coat the inside of a PC case with.

So then I tried to clean it off....... with several cans of carb cleaner. Because it was a sticky goo, that wouldn't peel or scrape off cleanly. and I had sprayed it into the case, in a lot of places that it couldn't really be scraped off anyway. But even with the heavy dose of carb cleaner, it still even didn't come off completely.
So then the case inside was streaked with black stuff, and smelled faintly of tar..... and faintly of carb cleaner too.

I don't know how people can use the stuff for this, myself. Good luck.
~

[/b]

themaster1

Post by themaster1 » Fri May 14, 2010 1:48 pm

I see if it smell that bad i clearly will avoid it but what peaked my interest is how much it reduce sound, aparently it's about 10 dB compared to traditional Mat like akasa mat which is more about 5 dB.

Pierre

Post by Pierre » Fri May 14, 2010 2:06 pm

This is the Fractal Design bitumen layer, right?

I have used a hard (and dry?) bitumen paper
http://img179.imageshack.us/i/p1000216e.jpg/

This one does not smell at all! no odour whatsoever...
It can be found at stores selling insulation material...

mkk

Post by mkk » Fri May 14, 2010 5:48 pm

Bitumen sheets intended for speakers is another excellent type. Usually comes with an adhesive layer so that the bitumen does not have to be heated up in order to make it stick. Dense bitumen does not have to be very thick for it to have an excellent mass dampening effect. I bought a bunch of 4mm sheets and found that they are really overkill in most situations like dampening a side or top. But overkill is nice too. ;)

Lubb

Post by Lubb » Sat May 15, 2010 5:11 am

I'd agree that it does dampen sound a lot because it adds a lot of weight to the normally-thin panels--but I think that if I tried to do this again I would just go buy adhesive-backed rubber sheet and use that instead. 100X cleaner and no smell at all to ever worry about.

You might even be able to find rubber or (soft) urethane sheet in different colors.
~

flyingsherpa
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by flyingsherpa » Sat May 15, 2010 9:57 am

I used something like that in a previous PC. I don't recommend it. Over time the stuff slowly slid down the panels... I had to cut off pieces that had rolled off the bottom. Anywhere that happened, it created an ugly mess... the inside of that PC looks like a nightmare. It got even worse when I tried to remove it by heating it in the oven so I could slide it off. Nope, didn't work.

It did smell a little at first, but that went away fairly quickly.

I now use magnetic sheets on my case panels and am liking it so far. No mess, easy to install or remove (if you have a steel case), easy to cut etc. Get different thickness panels for more mass damping, or just layer it.

themaster1

Post by themaster1 » Sat May 15, 2010 12:25 pm

Magnetic sheets ? What's this exactly ?

KayDat

Post by KayDat » Sat May 15, 2010 3:56 pm

Some info about sound deadening, targeted mainly at cars. The guy sells his own stuff now, but his old site (first link) has a fair amount of info.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Sun May 16, 2010 9:29 am

Owch my poor netbook's screen! :lol:

viewtopic.php?t=2763[quote]#13. Don't post big images, post links to them instead - images larger than 640 x 480 pixels have the effect of making pages so wide that lateral scrolling is required......[/quote]

Personally Ive found with the proper components and case, that dampening is not really needed. (unless your working in a sound studio or similar environment)

flyingsherpa wrote: I now use magnetic sheets on my case panels and am liking it so far.
With SSD only and no floppy I hope! :wink:

flyingsherpa
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by flyingsherpa » Sun May 16, 2010 2:18 pm

themaster1 wrote:Magnetic sheets ? What's this exactly ?
Look somewhere like this http://www.magnetking.com/. It's really just a large, flexible magnet.
xan_user wrote: With SSD only and no floppy I hope! :wink:
Nah, it's no big deal. My hard drive is doing fine (and has it's own powerful magnets inside it). You could stick pretty powerful magnets directly on hard drives with no ill effects, though I suspect floppies may be another story. But having sheeting on the sides will not affect either drive. :)

jonj678

Post by jonj678 » Thu May 20, 2010 12:59 pm

I've done this, probably got a link around here somewhere. Definitely a success, though my computer is really not fun to carry any distance

Posted at overclockers, which I think I can link to. Clicky.