J&W MINIX 890GX-USB3 Mini-ITX Motherboard

Post by shaoyu » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:22 pm

Just announced at computex,
http://www.jwele.com/news_detail.php?847
First mini itx with sata3+usb3+ddr3
Well done ^_^

ilovejedd

Post by ilovejedd » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Ooh, nice find! AM3 CPU + dual gigabit + plenty of SATA ports would make for a nice all-around mini server with a hefty amount of storage and processing power. At least I'm hoping it'll have at least 5~6 SATA ports.

Hayate19XX

Post by Hayate19XX » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:58 am

Drooooool... Good thing i waited, almost did buy the Sapphire IPC-AM3DD785G O.o'
Last edited by Hayate19XX on Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Namheul

Post by Namheul » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:17 pm

ilovejedd wrote:Ooh, nice find! AM3 CPU + dual gigabit + plenty of SATA ports would make for a nice all-around mini server with a hefty amount of storage and processing power. At least I'm hoping it'll have at least 5~6 SATA ports.
Looks like 4 SATA ports on the pic

KTE

Post by KTE » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:10 pm

SO-DIMM again...

I was really interested in this this 785G board of theirs too but there was absolutely no details, reviews or user feedback around for me to get any idea on it. So it wasn't purchased although I've still kept an eye on it.

J&W, you really need to improve Western supply and review sampling to gain customer investments. Even with what seem like excellent products.

Typically, we usually check and buy such form factor boards validated and listed here: http://www.amd.com/catalog/salescat.nsf ... 7?OpenView

But AMD hasn't updated the list with the recent chipsets yet.

If only they actually made process/power improvements over the 780G. We're still being sold this 2008 product with tiny updates, rebadged. These new rebadged platforms including the 880G have higher power draw than the 2008 780G. It's easy enough to OC those to 800MHz stock volts if needed too.

shaoyu

Post by shaoyu » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:40 am

KTE wrote:SO-DIMM again...
I don't know what the grunt about SO-DIMM is, aren't they more power efficient and similarly priced, with a form factor possibly allowing more than 2 slots on a mini-itx motherboard?

If anything I think sata 6gbps vs sata 3gbps is much more important than the difference in ram as many SSDs releasing this year and next will break 3gbps speed.

Whereas this board is the only itx board known to have sata 6gbps at the moment.

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:04 am

shaoyu wrote:
I don't know what the grunt about SO-DIMM is, aren't they more power efficient and similarly priced, with a form factor possibly allowing more than 2 slots on a mini-itx motherboard?

If anything I think sata 6gbps vs sata 3gbps is much more important than the difference in ram as many SSDs releasing this year and next will break 3gbps speed.

Whereas this board is the only itx board known to have sata 6gbps at the moment.
SODIMMs are a little more expensive, and have much fewer options vs DIMMs. There aren't any 1.35v SODIMMS available either. Even if their form factor allows for more, no mITX manufacturers are putting more than 2 on a board, so that's not much of a benefit. If Sapphire can include 125W CPU support, and full DDR3 DIMMs, then I imagine the new J&W or Asus mITX AM3 boards could have done it also. If only the sapphire would be available, and had a decent BIOS, it'd be the perfect AM3 mITX board right now.

Vibrator

Post by Vibrator » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:25 pm

ryboto wrote:
shaoyu wrote:

SODIMMs are a little more expensive, and have much fewer options vs DIMMs. There aren't any 1.35v SODIMMS available either. Even if their form factor allows for more, no mITX manufacturers are putting more than 2 on a board, so that's not much of a benefit. If Sapphire can include 125W CPU support, and full DDR3 DIMMs, then I imagine the new J&W or Asus mITX AM3 boards could have done it also. If only the sapphire would be available, and had a decent BIOS, it'd be the perfect AM3 mITX board right now.
A 2x2GB kit of SODIMM DDR3 costs $99
A 2x2GB kit of DIMM DDR3 costs $95
(Going by newgg prices)
...the difference is negligible.

With regards to "fewer options", compromises often have to be made when creating small form factor computers. That said, it's not like the available SODIMMs are bad either.

1.35v DIMMs are specced for Intel processors. When it comes to AMD, the same timings and voltages may or may not be possible.

Luminair

Post by Luminair » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:52 am

Wasted space on the back with the extra graphics port, but you can't overstate how complete the feature list is. This is as good as it gets

hans007

Post by hans007 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:31 pm

Vibrator wrote:
ryboto wrote:
shaoyu wrote: I don't know what the grunt about SO-DIMM is, aren't they more power efficient and similarly priced, with a form factor possibly allowing more than 2 slots on a mini-itx motherboard?

A 2x2GB kit of SODIMM DDR3 costs $99
(Going by newgg prices)

With regards to "fewer options", compromises often have to be made when creating small form factor computers. That said, it's not like the available SODIMMs are bad either.

1.35v DIMMs are specced for Intel processors. When it comes to AMD, the same timings and voltages may or may not be possible.
on ebay 2 x 2gb sodimms are actaully cheaper than desktop ones by $10. i think mostly becuase there are lots out there from people upgrading to 8gb, whereas most people who upgrade to 8gb on a desktop can just by 4 2gb ones.

so i dont mind sodimms at all. then again i wonder where we can actaullly buy this board at. i had the 780g version and it was really difficult to find.

stv

Post by stv » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:28 pm

what about price???

i am wating for any itx-board that can suppot a full pci-e 2.0...
which comes first :lol:

after read the Sapphire IPC-AM3DD785G review on x-bit lab
the simplicity of the bios isnt a problem... sapphire could relase a better bios later (hope so)

btw ryboto... you wrote in all forums about memory

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:04 am

double post...not sure how that happened.
Last edited by ryboto on Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:07 am

ryboto wrote:
Vibrator wrote: A 2x2GB kit of SODIMM DDR3 costs $99
(Going by newgg prices)

What speed ddr3 are you looking at? 1600mhz? The only two kits I see at that price are by Kingston and for CAS7, which is what I have now, it's $143. I don't know why we should have to compromise when Sapphire, a company we don't typically see many boards from, can make full DIMMs a possibility in this form factor.
stv wrote:what about price???

i am wating for any itx-board that can suppot a full pci-e 2.0...
which comes first :lol:

after read the Sapphire IPC-AM3DD785G review on x-bit lab
the simplicity of the bios isnt a problem... sapphire could relase a better bios later (hope so)

btw ryboto... you wrote in all forums about memory
Considering the flexibility of the Sapphire in regards to 125W CPUs, I'd hope they'd update the BIOS for more enthusiast-friendly use. And yea, I did post about the memory. I don't know why Intel should get full DIMM options and AM3 users are shafted. I'd love to switch, but I don't want to have to go through the hassle of selling and buying RAM again.

alexrock23

Post by alexrock23 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:22 pm

I have been mulling over the idea of an ITX build for a while. I almost bit on an i3 setup but I'd like to re-use my 965 and undervolt it. This is perfect, and I guess I don't really mind the use of so-dimms. Hopefully the availability in the US is better than the last minix board. I couldn't find a single place to purchase the 785G Minix board.

The Sapphire, and Asus board don't look appealing hopefully this will cause some spark and we'll see giga/msi follow suit. I really like the 125w PWM and it's actually not to ugly