Both gone: X5560's

Got a hot deal to share, info about a vendor, gear to sell, or a question about where to buy?

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

shleepy
Friend of SPCR

Both gone: X5560's

Post by shleepy » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:24 pm

I have 2 ES Intel Xeon X5560 processors (LGA1366, 2.8GHz) that I got in a batch of other Xeons. They have the spec # stamped on, and do not have the longer Intel code etched on the heatspreader, so they're presumably pretty early test processors. These particular ones did not POST on my Tyan S7025. Supposedly, they were working before I got them, so I have a feeling that it might be a compatibility issue with that particular early engi-sample spec # and my motherboard. That said, similar Xeons did POST on my motherboard but did not POST on a Supermicro X8-series motherboard. Therefore, my guess is that - if they work at all - they have the highest chances of working in something other than a Tyan S7025 or Supermicro X8... maybe an Intel board? Certain motherboards often don't like some ES processors, as you might know. Or maybe I just wasn't careful with the processors and the contacts need to be cleaned, etc. Or maybe they just happen to be dead. Anything is possible.

Therefore, my offer is as follows:
  • * I can ship out the processors to you for FREE to try out. Make sure to let me know what motherboard you plan on using, so that I can tell that you read the first paragraph of this thread. :)
  • * If they don't work for you, fee free to pass them on to someone else to try out, ship them back to me (I can pay for shipping), make earrings out of them, or whatever you want.
  • * If they work for you, and you have a use for them, I would strongly appreciate some sort of payment. :) Let's say, $150 per processor. Considering OEM/retail versions cost $1250 on newegg, that's not a bad deal, hehe.
  • * If you have a worthy/charitable cause and/or can't afford $150, I can give them away for even cheaper.
  • * Please have some sort of reputation (e.g., a lot of posts) on SPCR, Anandtech, or Arstechnica. A certain level of trust is required, considering I'm sending potentially-working, expensive processors out for free, and I know that you might lie about whether or not they work.
  • (* I would prefer to give them to someone who wants to use both of them, just so I don't have to go through the trouble of shipping them out separately. If you have multiple boards (e.g., a 5520/5500 chipset one + a X58), that would also be preferred, since you might have a higher chance of getting them to work. These are not big issues, though.)
Last edited by shleepy on Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

mark314
Friend of SPCR

Post by mark314 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:02 am

I messaged you a few hours ago. I have access to an X58 motherboard with full Xeon compatibility, and I should be able to get my hands on an Intel dual CPU workstation style board as well.

If they work, it would be nice, since I'm trying to start a business and actually can't afford to upgrade my aging PC. C2D's might seem fast but when you're trying to do photoshop, illustrator, web design, 3D cad and rendering on a 'due yesterday' timeline, all of a sudden it feels a bit slow :(

shleepy
Friend of SPCR

Post by shleepy » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:11 am

One has been claimed, and one is pending on mark314, assuming he could use just the single one.

EDIT: both claimed.