Where should thermal probes be placed?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Fire-Flare

Where should thermal probes be placed?

Post by Fire-Flare » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:48 pm

I imagine the ideal spot would be between the CPU and the heatsink, but would that much heat damage the probe or impede heat transfer?

faugusztin

Post by faugusztin » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:26 pm

That is the worst place to put the thermal probe. Either drill a hole to IHS (not really a good solution) or put the thermal probe on heatsink base. Of course you will not measure the CPU temperature, but you can't do that unless you modify the CPU.

Side note : those thermal probes are not meant to measure CPU or GPU temperature. They are meant to measure case temperature, CPU/GPU/chipset/VRM heatsink temperatures etc etc.

BlackWhizz

Post by BlackWhizz » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:05 am

Temp sensors are always inaccurate. I removed them because they just ruin cable management.

My cpu was 15 degrees off and my gpu was 30 degrees off. I had both mounted on top of the heatsink (as close as possible to the gpu and cpu).

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:07 am

I last used probes with my T-Balancer BigNG and those were very responsive and accurate enough to fine-tune my cooling system. I placed them between heat pipes on the CPU and GPU coolers and one in the RAM heatsinks.

Worked fine and stayed in place without tape - these were some thin strips, so one could simply wedge them in the appropriate places.