PowerColor HD 5750 Passive Cooling Video Card Too Big

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Grump

PowerColor HD 5750 Passive Cooling Video Card Too Big

Post by Grump » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:50 pm

I've been so anxious about this new build. It's been a long time since my last one and this one has taken a painfully long time because I just don't have the money to get everything at once. So, I finally get the video card that was so highly recommended here, the PowerColor SCS3 HD 5750 1GB GDDR5 - a silent wonder of video power.

I kept it in the box until I got my CPU in the mail. I took it out to marvel, but the motherboard wasn't mounted, so I just put it away to wait. I almost waited too long.

Click images for full-size.
Image Image Image

This video card is about ¾" too tall. A few more days and I wouldn't have been able to return it to Amazon.

So, I liked the power of this card and silence is a real concern because the case (an AeroCool M40) will be sitting on the desk right next to my trackball. None of the other 5750 fanless coolers will fit, as far as I can tell. This one may be taller than all the rest, but all of them seem to have heat pipes or something else sitting high on the PCB.

I am not a gamer, but I do a lot of graphics work and editing my own pictures with high end photo and graphics programs. I also have up to 6 or 7 programs open at the same time doing tasks, usually involving website graphics and coding. My guess is that some of the specs below are going to be what I should be looking for, but some of you may know better. And I'm counting on your expertise to help me find something quiet, if I can't have completely silent.

1GB memory
probably GDDR5
128bit should work, but would 256 be better?
under $200.00

I'm not interested in cheap, but I do have a limited budget, so I haven't bothered looking at some of the no-name brands (or unproven brands). The above card was $164.00, so I'd like to stay in that range if I can.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Grump

BlackWhizz

Post by BlackWhizz » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:14 am

Some passive Nvidia/Ati card will work. You're not doing that gpu intensive jobs.

Grump

Post by Grump » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:28 am

The 5750 is an ATI card. I've looked until I'm blue in the face today. Any actual recommendations?

Thanks.

Tzupy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Tzupy » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:47 am

Another passive ATI 5750, if you really need the gaming power, by Gigabyte, it seems less tall than the Powercolor:
http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-Radeon-H ... 639&sr=8-2
If you can settle for a lesser card, both in speed an power draw, there are some nVidia GT240 1GB passive (from the images, you have to check this):
http://www.amazon.com/ZOTAC-nVidia-GeFo ... 804&sr=8-8
http://www.amazon.com/Asus-nVidia-GeFor ... 04&sr=8-12

Grump

Post by Grump » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:04 am

Tzupy wrote:Another passive ATI 5750, if you really need the gaming power, by Gigabyte, it seems less tall than the Powercolor:
I already said I wasn't a gamer. And unfortunately, all the 5750 passively cooled cards I've looked at are too tall.
If you can settle for a lesser card, both in speed an power draw, there are some nVidia GT240 1GB passive (from the images, you have to check this):
Too tall. Don't want a lesser card than the 5750. I may have to go with the 5770 with a fan.

Grump

JamieG

Post by JamieG » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:09 am

Grump wrote:Too tall. Don't want a lesser card than the 5750. I may have to go with the 5770 with a fan.
For roughly the same performance level, how about the Gigabyte 9800GT Silent Cell?

From the picture in that link, the cooler does not extend over the top of the card at all. However, there are some heatpipes sticking out the top at least a centimetre or two: see here.

From your second picture, it looks like you might have room but it would be close. Your call if you want to risk it.

The other problem may be the length of the card - about 10 inches, so measure your case before buying. For reference, the 9800GT Silent Cell is likely to just stick out over the edge of a typical ATX or mATX motherboard, which are about 9 3/4 inches wide.

Hope that helps!

Parappaman

Post by Parappaman » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:23 am

How about settling for a non-standard actively cooled model such as the Vapor-X? Passive cooling isn't always the only way to silence. Plus, it's cheaper and overclocked (slightly faster). :wink:

Tzupy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Tzupy » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:40 am

Considering that the PSU would draw hot air from a non-exhausting 5750 that's just under it, I suggest this, it may be quiet enough:
http://www.amazon.com/HIS-Radeon-Displa ... 077&sr=8-1

atmartens

Post by atmartens » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:06 pm

If you are doing photo work, that's 2-D, and you don't need a high-end video card. Those really just help for 3-D. You said you are not a gamer, so why do you need a 5750 or more?

Grump

Post by Grump » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:32 pm

I very much appreciate everyone's help. It has been a very frustrating experience - and very disappointing when I discovered a good video card that was recommended by several others wouldn't fit.

All the fanless video cards I have considered are too tall. Length doesn't seem to be the problem at all - there's plenty of room toward the front of the case. A card 300mm long could fit easily. However, from the top of the mounting tang of the video card to the bottom of the second section of the bi-level case, there is barely 10mm to spare.

A number of people, not counting a few here, have suggested a better video card isn't necessary because what I do is 2D or inconsequential to the video card. I don't know any of them personally, but I suspect they don't do what I do and don't understand that a better quality graphics card helps make my work so much better and less time consuming.

My favorite graphics program is a video memory hog, for some reason. I'm not a software developer, so I don't know what's up with that, but I do know the program runs much faster with a better video card than with a cheap one. Believe me, I've tried. And the hard part is the program isn't anything more than a glorified file manager - well, okay, I do more than manage tens of thousands of graphics and photo files with it, but the major editing and creation is done in a different program, Adobe Fireworks. And that program doesn't necessarily appreciate budget graphics cards either.

The next best reason I can give you guys for wanting a better, but still affordable, card, is the guy who will inherit this machine when I'm gone is a gamer. I don't know how long I got left, but I have terminal lung disease and lung function of about 20%. The guy has helped make my life infinitely better since I got sick and I want to leave him a pretty hot machine when I'm gone. I HOPE the machine will be antiquated and a major slug by that time, but I can't count on that.

None of that was anyone's business, actually, but some people seem to think I need reasons for wanting a decent video card. If those 2 weren't good enough, well, tough sh... ;)

So, back to the issue at hand. My headache producing research last night and today seems to be pointing toward a 256bit card with 1GB video RAM. I'm guessing that it won't make a lot of difference if it's GDDR3 or DDR3 (not sure I even know the difference).

Now the only reason I feel 256 bit is better for me is the issue of multitasking and the large number of programs and images open at once (I've been known to load twelve or fourteen 16MB images into Fireworks at once and have 8 different programs open at the same time).

As was mentioned above, the PSU fan is directly over the video card. This causes a couple of problems, I think. It can suck the heat generated by the card into the power supply and it may also deprive the video card fan of free flowing air supply if the card's fan is directly under the PSU fan. I'm thinking a video card that has a fan situated toward the back of the card might be better. The cool air from the front case fan will enter the video card fan, then be exhausted. The PSU fan will still inhale warm air, but it's not as bad as it would be for the video card.

Thanks for any guidance. I'm a little dizzy from all this. I didn't think it was gonna be this hard to choose a video card.

Grump

TokyoBrit

Post by TokyoBrit » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:04 am

Yeah. ATI changed the reference layout on the Radeon 56xx and 57xx. The cards are shorter in length but taller in height. No idea why they did that. Most after-market GPU coolers won't fit on those cards.

A 48xx is longer in length and shorter in height. So are the 58xx ones, but even the entry level 5830 is $220+.

My suggestion would be a silent 4850 like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-Radeon-H ... 242&sr=1-7

You'll find performance is about the same as the 5750, you'll definately have clearance in the case.

Tzupy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Tzupy » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:13 am

@Grump: I'm sorry to read that you are very sick. It may be not my business, and OT, but if 'terminal disease' is lung cancer, then I have two suggestions.
First, inhaled Methyl Jasmonate - induces apoptosis in many ways and accumulates preferentially in cancer cells. Second, Atorvastatin + Celecoxib as NFKappaB & AKT inhibitors.
I apologize for the OT and since it's not my business, I didn't mean to intrude, just trying to provide a bit of help.

Grump

Post by Grump » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:57 am

TokyoBrit wrote:My suggestion would be a silent 4850 like this:

Gigabyte Radeon HD4850 PCI Express GV-R485MC-1GI 1GB 256bit

You'll find performance is about the same as the 5750, you'll definately have clearance in the case.
If only. ;) Unfortunately, that card's heatsink also doesn't work - too tall. Most heat pipes on heatsinks are 6mm in diameter. Add the height of the PCB above the mounting tang and the cooling fins above the heat pipes and it's well over 10mm, by my estimation (my calcs show the top of the heat pipe is about 11mm).

All the video cards with passive cooling that I have looked at are too tall. Except for maybe the 9800 GT, but that's an old card that has been surpassed in features and performance by many newer cards in the same price range.

Although silence is golden and is a priority, it's not the top priority. If I can find an actively cooled video card that is really quiet, then I will be satisfied. Does anyone know if I am on the right track as I referred to cards with the fan mounted near the back of the card? I have seen several, but then there's the problem of the power connector on the top of the card instead of the back of the card. Jeez, can a guy just get a break??? :lol:
Tzupy wrote:@Grump: I'm sorry to read that you are very sick. It may be not my business, and OT, but if 'terminal disease' is lung cancer...
No, it's not cancer. It's end stage COPD. No cure, no remission. I inhale Tiotropium Bromide, Foradil and Mometasone Furoate powders and Albuterol for rescue and a couple pills for the side effects and prevention of another heart attack. Two doctors told me I might make it a few more years - that was 2 years ago. But my lung function hasn't reduced more than a couple percentage points since then. I can still take a shower, but that's about maximum exertion. But knowing my limits has actually allowed me to accomplish quite a bit - in 10 or 15 minute increments and long rest periods. It took me 8 months to turn a garage into this:

Click pictures for full-size.
Image Image

And I have been working on this project since the snow melted:

Image Image

I'm starting to remodel my bedroom now (it used to be the master in the apartment next door, so I've got a head start - it's already a bedroom). So, I sure ain't feeling sorry for myself. In fact, it's my own fault my lungs are in this condition.

Anyway, I'd rather this be about the sad state of my stunted case and finding a decent video card for it. :wink:

Thanks for all the help,

Grump

dhanson865

Post by dhanson865 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:38 pm

5770 Hawk looks promising.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/ ... WK/29.html

It uses more power than a 5750 and it costs more but at least it isn't noisy.

Take a common 5750 design with a fan like

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/HIS/ ... IV/29.html which is about the same noise.

Of course it'd be a lot cheaper than the 5770 I'm betting.

Even the Sapphire 5750 is probably quieter than your average video card

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapp ... 50/29.html

Grump

Post by Grump » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:13 pm

dhanson865 wrote:5770 Hawk looks promising.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/ ... WK/29.html
It sure does. I wouldn't have thought a card with 2 fans would be that quiet. I've seen it in my research, but didn't give it a second thought because of the dual fans. Very impressive.

Since it has 1GB of GDDR5 memory, I may not have to be to concerned that it isn't 256bit. I'm not sure how important that is for what I use the card for.

I s'pose I should appreciate power consumption more, but I don't have to pay an electric bill, so I think I'm a little complacent in that regard.

Good find, thanks. It's $179.99 at Amazon and I don't have to pay tax or shipping. Within budget, but about 15.00 more than than my original PowerColor 5750 fanless. The improved power should be worth the extra $$$, but I may never know the difference anyway. It will definitely fit in my case though.

This may be the solution, unless someone else comes up with something better.

Thanks for taking care of me.

Grump

dhanson865

Post by dhanson865 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:07 pm

Grump wrote: Thanks for taking care of me.

Grump
No Problem; COPD, Cancer, hangnail, ice cream is melting, whatever you had me at 5750 card too big. I'm glad to help, and I hope I did.

Oh and don't worry about the bits on the memory controller of a 5xxx card. Most of the modern designs are carefully balanced to a price/performance ratio. You'll throw that ratio off slightly by choosing a silent or very quiet card but assuming you buy a decent card the minor details won't bite you in the rear when it comes to performance (and there are many ways to overclock, underclock, undervolt a stock card to get exactly what you want). I'm guessing if you spend $130+ for a 5750 or 5770 you won't be worrying about even stock performance levels with what you are doing.

Feel free to let us know when you get the card you decide on up and going how well it works out. I like a good zombie thread now and then.

Grump

Post by Grump » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:15 pm

dhanson865 wrote:No Problem; COPD, Cancer, hangnail, ice cream is melting, whatever...
That's funny - as I was reading this, my damn ice cream was melting. :lol:
...you had me at 5750 card too big.
Shades of Jerry MaGuire. You're no Renée Zellweger though. :(
Feel free to let us know when you get the card you decide on up and going how well it works out. I like a good zombie thread now and then.
I will definitely do that. Thanks again.

Grump

TokyoBrit

Post by TokyoBrit » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:36 pm

Grump wrote: If only. ;) Unfortunately, that card's heatsink also doesn't work - too tall. Most heat pipes on heatsinks are 6mm in diameter. Add the height of the PCB above the mounting tang and the cooling fins above the heat pipes and it's well over 10mm, by my estimation (my calcs show the top of the heat pipe is about 11mm).
Poo. From the looks of the Amazon site it was a regular 4850, and not one of those "extra tall" ones. :(

In any case, dhanson865 mentioned the MSI 5770 Hawk, which is 1) not a reference design 5770 and is actually long and short, and 2) from the reviews I've read, it runs quiet but quick - equivilent to the 4870 but using less power and having eyefinity/dx11.

Definately a good choice. I've had 2 on my Amazon wishlist for the last month, but failed to join the dots. :oops:

Grump

Post by Grump » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:08 am

I ordered the Hawk earlier today. It should be here in about a week. Thanks again to everyone. I'll update you all when I get it installed.

Grump

TechBari

Post by TechBari » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:45 am

Grump:

I've been watching this thread for some time now, probably because I have the Powercolor Go Green 5750 passive. Which is a great card however if you don't mind the noise I would go with a 5770.

In any case, why don't you change out you computer case for one which can handle larger cards?

Here's a suggestion:

http://www.silverstonetek.com/products/ ... 5&area=usa

or the GD04 which is very similar

I have a similar case which is dead silent, but I would prefer the GD05 or 04, which I hope to move to now that I know I can get absolute quietness out of my current set-up. Then I will be able to put the case in my stereo rack.

If you're interested, here's my first Youtube video installing the 5750 and my set-up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7r2eYo6bukk

potsy

Post by potsy » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:27 am

Hi there Grump, just wondering if you found a solution. I'm having the same frustration - choosing a graphics card just isn't as simple as you think it would be. I didn't get the powercolor because it would be too tall. Bought a gigabyte GV-R575SL-1GI because some of the good folk here posted pics to show it would fit in an Antec Fusion: link to thread

I was pretty happy to get it from the US on ebay, because nobody retails the fanless stuff in Oz. But I needed a card that would drive three monitors and I didn't read the manual first! Although there are four outputs it will only drive two at a time. Oh well, back to ebay with that card and back to square one for me! Aaargh...

Potsy

Grump

Post by Grump » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:38 am

Yes, as I mentioned above, I got the Hawk. It fits perfectly. I have not been able to complete the build yet, so I don't know just how silent the video card will be. But the reports are very promising. I hope to have the machine running in another couple of weeks. Jeez, I HATE bein' poor.

Jim