Quiet case on a budget?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

falkenad

Quiet case on a budget?

Post by falkenad » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:01 pm

Hello, I've been looking to put together a rig that's decent for gaming, schoolwork, and some light 3D modeling. The only issue is that many of the cases that are very popular (The Antec P18x series), Raven, Silverstone, and Fractal cases can be rather pricey(or hard to find in Canada). The best I've found so far seems to be the Antec Sonata Elite, at $110. However, I'm not entirely sure about the spaciousness of the case in regards to a decent modern graphics card.

I found that the Silverstone PS05B has "vibration dampening hard drive mounts", and at $65 is priced similarly to the popular(but decidedly not silent) Antec 300.

(I would have made it a link but I don't have enough posts to do so).

Any suggestions on a decent case that won't break the bank?

speedkar9

Re: Quiet case on a budget?

Post by speedkar9 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:00 pm

Antec Solo, watch your graphics card size though. The Sonata isn't that good for airflow or noise IMO.

Antec 300 will work great with some modding (panel dampening, HD suspension, etc).

Also consider Antec NSK 4xxx and 6xxx series for budget cases.

Stay away from those thin airy cases from CoolerMaster.

RedAE102
Friend of SPCR

Re: Quiet case on a budget?

Post by RedAE102 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:57 pm

speedkar9 wrote:Antec Solo, watch your graphics card size though. The Sonata isn't that good for airflow or noise IMO.

Also consider Antec NSK 4xxx and 6xxx series for budget cases.
I second both suggestions, as I have a Solo and an NSK4480. The NSK4480 is great for those on a budget since it includes a decent 80-Plus power supply. It's not nearly as solid a case as the Solo or the P180 series, but it's a step above some of the other cases I've seen for similar money (I got my 4480 from Buy.com for US$50 after rebate). The 4480 is good enough for my HTPC, as silence isn't paramount in the living room where ambient noise is generally higher than it is in my bedroom. The Solo is inaudible in my bedroom in even with the lower ambient noise level. Both are great cases for the purpose I use each of them for.

falkenad

Post by falkenad » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:36 pm

Red, the Solo is available from newegg canada but it won't even fit a GTX 460. The 4xxx and 6xxx all seem to come with practically useless power supplies (less than 400W). The Antec P180 Mini would be great.. but it's $153 with shipping from buy's canadian site ... Should I just pony up the extra cash for the P180 mini even though I don't want to spend more than 110 on a case?

speedkar9

Post by speedkar9 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:17 am

Well go with a 300 and mod it for silence, as others have done in the general gallery.

Thats my next project :lol:, adding sound dampening and modifying the hdd trays for suspension, cutting a separate psu hole, etc. In the end it would probably still be cheaper than $110.

And shipping for cases is quite expensive, if you have local stores nearby, it might be a worthwhile drive.

You could also make a piece if you sell the PSU that comes with the NSK.

Cerb

Post by Cerb » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:48 am

falkenad wrote:Red, the Solo is available from newegg canada but it won't even fit a GTX 460.
Are you certain? I thought the Solo had 10" to play with, and then room inside the drive cage. 10" is enough for a ~1" long cable bend (shallow enough not to stress/kink it) coming off the back of the card. If that can freely go into the drive cage, it could keep a 'natural' very shallow bend.

Edit: review with a video card only 5mm shorter, that also takes power from a rear-mounted connector (system pic). Installation and removal might be easier after taking off the front bezel, but it should fit fine, I think.
Last edited by Cerb on Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

fumino

Post by fumino » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:57 am

falkenad wrote:The Antec P180 Mini would be great.. but it's $153 with shipping from buy's canadian site ... Should I just pony up the extra cash for the P180 mini even though I don't want to spend more than 110 on a case?
that's brutal... i got my mini P180 for about $75 shipped a couple years ago.

it might be tough, but just wait for boxing day xD

i might actually try that silverstone out. it's definitely the best deal in the price range on newegg... maybe check out ncix though? the Sonata Proto should be in that price range somewhere too..

falkenad

Post by falkenad » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:22 am

Fumino, the reviews I've read of the Sonata Proto seem to indicate poor cooling performance in that it only has room for a single case fan.

I've heard many great things about the Antec Solo, I recently read a thread where a guy had to spend a few hours with a dremel to get his GTX 460 to fit into the Solo, and I believe that such a modification could have some amount of negative effects on acoustic and thermal performance. I'd rather purchase a case that will meet my needs without having to extensively hack it, so modding a 300 or Solo is out.

I would purchase the Solo, but my worry is that the trend for video cards has been that they are simply getting bigger and bigger- and if I purchase a new card a few years down the line, chances are it will only fit in the Solo with great difficulty.

NCIX is another option, their shipping charges are reasonable. Unfortunately I haven't found any decent local shops, http://www.memoryexpress.com is the only decent computer parts store in my area.

How about the Antec NSK4482b? It appears to be the replacement for the 4480.

http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku= ... omoid=1058

walle

Post by walle » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:18 pm

Hi and welcome to SPCR!

I think that the case from Silverstone would be the way to go here, the better purchase.
You are on a budget. You are looking for a case that will last you a few years. And you do not wish to modify.
I think those factors rule out the SOLO.

I truly like it though, and used it (and modified it extensively) for many many years before I took the plunge to retire it.

Edit:
I do not have any experience with this particular case from Silverstone, needed to make that clear.

Cerb

Post by Cerb » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:35 pm

falkenad wrote:I've heard many great things about the Antec Solo, I recently read a thread where a guy had to spend a few hours with a dremel to get his GTX 460 to fit into the Solo (...)
You're mixing up the GTX 260 and 460, I'm quite sure. The 460 is about 8.25" (210mm), including cooler. The GTX 260 is about 10.5", and then many came with coolers that went out a bit longer than that.

http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40248
HD 5850, which aught to be over 2" longer than a GTX 460.

Not trying to sell you on the Solo (though, I am quite a fan of it :oops:), but there are many video cards that will fit it, and other cases with just a wee bit of room past a standard (9.6") mobo.

falkenad

Post by falkenad » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:26 pm

You're right Cerb, definitely was a GTX 260.

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?p=2096629

So perhaps the best thing to do is get the famous Antec Solo, and cross my fingers that AMD's Radeon 6000 series midrange isn't longer than whatever clearance the solo has.

Walle, if you've retired your Solo, what case are you using now if you don't mind my asking?

speedkar9

Post by speedkar9 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:39 pm

I've heard many great things about the Antec Solo, I recently read a thread where a guy had to spend a few hours with a dremel to get his GTX 460 to fit into the Solo, and I believe that such a modification could have some amount of negative effects on acoustic and thermal performance.
I disagree. If you use a pair of tin snips, you could hack out a piece of the hard drive bay in a few mins, and deburr it with a dremel. That person probably didn't know how to use a dremel... :lol:

I still don't see how a small piece of drive bay loss could attribute to poor thermal and acoustic performance though...

Anyways seeing that you intend to keep your case for a while, it may be worthwhile if you took the plunge into a more expensive, larger case that is sure to fit and cool all your future components. The SOLO (and other NSK series of Antecs) may have cooling issues once you load it up with a GTX 260 + an i7 for a gaming rig, particularly with the PSU at the top and a restrictive air intake.

The P183 is on sale @ CC this week for $139CAD. Price match it @ NCIXif the shipping is cheaper. The P183 should last you quite a while and you could be rest assured all your components would fit and be kept cool.

Cheers :)

fumino

Post by fumino » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:25 pm

falkenad wrote:Fumino, the reviews I've read of the Sonata Proto seem to indicate poor cooling performance in that it only has room for a single case fan
i've noticed that as well, seems many reviewers dont read where antec tells them there is a second mount for a fan on the hard drive bay area... just looking inside the case should have been enough to notice that.

falkenad

Post by falkenad » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:15 pm

Speedkar, perhaps you are right. The fact that the P183 should be a case that lasts, I could justify the extra cash. And shipping from CC is reasonable too, only ten dollars. Deal ends tomorrow. I also found a P183, a demo floor model for $119.. could be a great deal. Thanks for all your help, a P183 may be the way to go by the sounds of it.

walle

Post by walle » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:53 am

falkenad wrote:Walle, if you've retired your Solo, what case are you using now if you don't mind my asking?
I went for a P183. Main reason was that I didn't like how hot the PSU got in the SOLO, I was actually contemplating on flipping it taking up an intake and install a dust filter, but, I never got around to do it.
A while later I got a nice deal on the P183 and went for it.
I would like to point out that had I had the fantasy coming up with the brilliant idea of doing what speedkar9 did to his SOLO, then I think I would have kept it. I really like the case and it has been with me for a long time lasting me two builds.

It now houses a more moderate system, so its still around.

Edit:
If you are going to spend more money on a case then the P183 is indeed a good choice, another one could be the Fractal Design R2. Perhaps its even more “accessibleâ€

andy_d90

Post by andy_d90 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:26 am

I second ANTEC cases,

Going from a coolermaster elite to a antec 300 was a BIG leap in quality.

falkenad

Post by falkenad » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:31 am

UPDATE:

I picked up the P183 and it's a beautiful case.
However, the Fractal Design R3 just went up for sale on NCIX for $99..

anyone have thoughts on comparisons between the two?

speedkar9

Post by speedkar9 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:09 pm

The Fractal's 90 degree HD bay presents a major air intake restriction over the P183.

falkenad

Post by falkenad » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:41 pm

speedkar9 wrote:The Fractal's 90 degree HD bay presents a major air intake restriction over the P183.

Good Speedkar, because I already ordered an Antec CP-850 power supply :)

speedkar9

Post by speedkar9 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:44 am

falkenad wrote:Good Speedkar, because I already ordered an Antec CP-850 power supply :)
Now thats quite a long term investment, your stuck with the case and power supply (unless you go 1200).

Quite a turn around from the "Quiet case on a budget" title of this thread, lol.

falkenad

Post by falkenad » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:13 pm

It'll save me money in the long term most likely. I got both of them on sale, and I'm a sucker for a good deal! Thanks to price matching and rebates, I got the two for $250 together. While no super cheap either, its a respectable deal for the quality of the components. This is the first PC build I've done, and I suspect I'll be able to use the pair for quite a while to come! The whole build is between 800 and 850, which is pretty solid.