Component recommendations for HTPC, please

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

maalitehdas

Component recommendations for HTPC, please

Post by maalitehdas » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:33 am

I'm starting from point zero (meaning I have nothing yet) and I'm aiming for a tiny, energy efficient, passive cooled build just barely capable for the following:
- tiny Linux MediaCenter OS
- 7.1 audio via HDMI 1.3
- HD 1080p video
- WiFi (Wlan N)
- remote control

Parts I would like to have recommendations on:
1 MB (mini-ATX), hoping to have it with onboard a/v
2 very little CPU (7,5W TDP? Is that enough?) with passive cooling
3 little SSD (just for OS)
4 audiocard and GPU (if not onboard. HDMI 1.3 is a must, 1.4a preferred)
5 HD digiTV card

I will choose the case and decent PSU later, depending on total size and consumption. Please remember aim aiming for a small build.

maalitehdas

Post by maalitehdas » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:02 am

anyone?

ilovejedd

Post by ilovejedd » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:41 am

Wouldn't ION/Atom work? Or perhaps the latest ION/CULV from Zotac? For SSD, Intel X25-V 40GB or Sandforce 40GB. Sandforce performs better but the drives usually retail $25 more compared to Intel. Unfortunately, it's hard to recommend the 30GB SSD's with Indilinx and JMicron controllers given the reviews on Newegg.

Intel's supposed to release some new SSD's really soon, though, so it might be worth waiting for that. Not exactly for the Intel G3 SSD but rather, for any price drops it might trigger.

maalitehdas

Post by maalitehdas » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:59 am

Do you knw some ION/CULV motherboards with required HD-audio, HDMI and slots for HD-receiver and gigabit LAN? That might be a start. ION will probably be ok, this is not a gaming build. I found these:
ZOTAC NM10-ITX WiFi with WLAN n, but only 720p graphics. ATI Radeon 5750 passive on that?
ZOTAC NM10-ITX ION with DirectX10, 1080p and ION. Must get a WLAN n card there.
I'm bit confuced about what the second one includes... It's mentioned as an ION upgrade Kit, packade including MB anyway.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:23 pm

The ZOTAC IONITX series O should have what you want, but probably it's an overkill for CPU power.

Regards,
Luca

maalitehdas

Post by maalitehdas » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:52 pm

Thanks, thatwould be exactly what i'm looking for with 7.1 audio, wlan n and everything but there's an active fan... Do you think it could be removed with some undervolting? It has Intel® Pentium® SU4100 (dual-core) (1.3 GHz).

If removing the fan is possible in this model, i'll start the build around that MB.