8 gigs beats 4 gigs [thread on probabtion]

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

lm
Friend of SPCR

Post by lm » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:15 am

m0002a wrote: Some of the numbers such as number of mobile phones is actually a contra-indication of development in that people who were already hard-wired to the telecom system and don't have the same need for a mobile phone.
I've been trying to tell to my grandparents that there is no point in paying for the landline because they have mobile phones too. Finland had full coverage of landlines but they are being abandoned at a fast rate because cellphones are just so much more convenient. Basically here only old people and businesses have landline phones anymore, others have no need. Also everyone has a cellphone (of course there's always the exceptions who are technically savvy but choose to be unreachable).

In my opinion, people who only got a landline and no need for mobile, are clearly people who spend most of their time home and so are not a great sign of development.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:21 am

The trolling will stop.

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:42 am

lm wrote:I've been trying to tell to my grandparents that there is no point in paying for the landline because they have mobile phones too. Finland had full coverage of landlines but they are being abandoned at a fast rate because cellphones are just so much more convenient. Basically here only old people and businesses have landline phones anymore, others have no need. Also everyone has a cellphone (of course there's always the exceptions who are technically savvy but choose to be unreachable).

In my opinion, people who only got a landline and no need for mobile, are clearly people who spend most of their time home and so are not a great sign of development.
That may be true for some countries and some individuals, but not all. There are several good reasons to have a land line:

1. I hate carrying a phone around with me at home (and I don't do it). I live in a two story home and leave my cell phone in the charger on the first floor. I would miss a lot of calls if they went to my cell phone.

2. I have a cordless phone system with one base unit and 5 cordless units, so there is a cordless phone in every room. The cordless phone has an excellent speaker phone and it is very convenient. The phones are rechargeable, and if one of them has a battery that is exhasted I can just use another one.

3. In the USA there is an emergency number system (dial 911) that connects you directly to an operator to handle any police, fire, or medical emergency. As soon as you call them they know your name (or family name) and exact location, and this is the best way to get help in an emergency, especially if you are not able to give much information because of the problem. Although you can call 911 from a mobile phone, they won't know your exact location (only general area) and it takes longer for them to even get the approximate location.

I only use my cell phone when away from home, and I have instructed my friends to call me at my land line first because I may not answer the cell phone immediately (although I can usually call them back).

At least for DSL Internet users (as opposed to cable Internet), there is usually a discount given if you have both DSL Internet service and a land line (at most US phone companies) since it uses the same wire.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:43 am

Continuing off-topic...I cut the landline cord over a year ago. I opted for a Verizon femtocell with backhaul though my broadband and a bluetooth enabled cordless phone. I set my cellphone on my desk, and then use my cordless phones thoughout the house for calls. Works great.

The great irony is when the fiber optic cables were cut in the SF bay area and PacBell cell and landlines as well as verizon cellphone backhaul went down, I still had phone coverage.

colm

Post by colm » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:56 am

CA_Steve wrote:Continuing off-topic...I cut the landline cord over a year ago. I opted for a Verizon femtocell with backhaul though my broadband and a bluetooth enabled cordless phone. I set my cellphone on my desk, and then use my cordless phones thoughout the house for calls. Works great.

The great irony is when the fiber optic cables were cut in the SF bay area and PacBell cell and landlines as well as verizon cellphone backhaul went down, I still had phone coverage.
I am cell only also.

maine and land lines even has a "freak" freq.
not to mention if a computer is in the household evey hack known every baud rate tries to linger like a ghost... without it plugged in (explain that one)

as for data, it is done. I dont even do DSL.. fiber would be inspiring, but for now share the pig called broadband, and am losing to whoever pays more to rape the lines bandwidth.

time time time it takes too long to kick the old timers out of the future.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:04 am

tastey.

Well, I am not cell only as my landline is 15 bux a month including taxes. It's vonage ghetto plan. It rocks however for daytime usage. unlimited in, 200 out. It also puts a wav in my email for voicemails. People call me on it during the day for jobs or whatever. It keeps my cell phone plan much smaller. Plus I actually have a house. I really dont like the idea of having to wait for my reception to come back when granny is having a coronary and stuff.

yeah broadband sucks bad. I do not look forward to moving and not having Fios. im on a slow plan now 20/5. It blows away my friends 25/10 "broadband" plan by a long shot. His bandwidth flies all around, gets bogged down, drops packets, is a true joy. Cable sucks. 20 down all the time and 5 up all the time, cant beat that for like 30 dollars a month.

danimal

Post by danimal » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:55 pm

m0002a wrote: For example, the USA has approximately 20-30 million illegal aliens who walked across the border (mostly from Mexico).
"The drop has contributed to an 8 percent decrease in the estimated number of illegal immigrants living in the United States, from a peak of 12 million in 2007 to 11.1 million in 2009, the report said."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 06940.html

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:16 pm

*sigh*

When it comes down to 4gb vs 8gb of RAM, the daily user of facebook and youtube would never notice.

Having 8gb of RAM, and having Windows 7 x64 AND Ubuntu x64, I can say that compared to 4gb of RAM, for what I do, it's a huge advancement, however, I can't say that linux is any faster than Windows 7 on any given day, quite simply because the applications aren't the same.

I can't compare Pro Tools in Windows to Ardour in Ubuntu because they're totally different, all the way down to the core, so sure, they're both fast with the right hardware, Linux isn't any better prepared for 8gb than Windows is.

It depends on the user.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:34 pm

This entire thread says one thing louder than anything else;

Who cares?

In the grand scheme of things it's not that important, but apparently "what's under the hood" bragging rights have not changed any since the automobile. If it's better for you great, your statement is that it's better for you, anything beyond that is just speculation.

My point? There's nothing here that warrants reaching the point of calling other people names. And in case nobody has explained it yet a lack of respect for others does not make someone superior.

If your parents haven't taught you proper manners please do not learn them from your TV set.

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:42 pm

danimal wrote:"The drop has contributed to an 8 percent decrease in the estimated number of illegal immigrants living in the United States, from a peak of 12 million in 2007 to 11.1 million in 2009, the report said."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 06940.html
That is from the Pew Hispanic Center, who "maybe" doesn't want to alarm people. If you google the subject, many say it is at least 20 million and some say it is higher. But there has been a definite decline lately due to the economy, especially in construction. Most expect ilegal aliens to return as soon as the real estate market picks up.

Whatever the exact number, it does skew the statistics quoted earlier.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:47 pm

The amount my school taxes went up I'd be surprised of real estate ever picks up.

danimal

Post by danimal » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:20 pm

m0002a wrote: If you google the subject, many say it is at least 20 million and some say it is higher.
idle speculation, as usual... the only thing that's missing now is some rubbish "statistics" from fox news :lol: :roll:

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:12 pm

Some say.....
Line repeated many times (and of questionable journalistic value) on Faux News.

My version - Some say little green men from Mars caused <enter current Faux target here.>

Others aren't fair and balanced, but they don't claim to be.

Mats

Re: 8 gigs beats 4 gigs [thread on probabtion]

Post by Mats » Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:31 am

It's funny tho, not many people know what to expect from ~El~Jefe~ after all these years. I do.

I don't care if he's 14 or 13 or if his computers snappiness is just placebo effect.

~El~Jefe~ makes me laugh, nice thread! :D

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Re: 8 gigs beats 4 gigs [thread on probabtion]

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:40 am

Mats = LuV