Enermax Magma UC-MA12 120mm Fan

Vote with $ for SPCR to review the products of your choice.
Rekonn
Friend of SPCR

Enermax Magma UC-MA12 120mm Fan

Post by Rekonn » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:59 am

Recently read the Fan Test System, SPCR 2010 article, and I'd like to see the Enermax Magma 120mm fan tested the same way, with results compared to the rest. Is this a fan SPCR was going to review soon anyway? (will use donation towards something else then)

bozar

Post by bozar » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:19 am

I would like a larger fan roundup altogether, there is a lot of new fans around now and the old ones should be retested with the new method. What would such a project cost?

Rekonn
Friend of SPCR

Post by Rekonn » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:07 pm

The donate FAQ states $100 per fan. If you can provide enough for a roundup, that's great, but that's too rich for me. :wink:

"Look for fan reviews using our new fan testing system in the near future."

I think the original intent was to publish a fan review every now and then, but it's been 4 months now since the article was created with no new fan content. I'd like to encourage this particular fan be reviewed soon, and just donated $20 to that end.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:59 am

Surely most of that cost is for running (and having bought) the equipment and work hours, so doing a round-up should not call for $100 per fan.

I'd pitch in for a round-up, but not this individual fan.

Rekonn
Friend of SPCR

Post by Rekonn » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:57 pm

I like this fan in particular because of the removable blades / ease of cleaning aspect. I'm toying with the idea of making my next system filterless, like this one.

I'd also like to see them review a 120mm Gentle Typhoon. I really think that one could beat the current leader (Nexus) in temp rise at 16 dBA.

Which fans would you like to see in a roundup?

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:44 am

Rekonn wrote:Which fans would you like to see in a roundup?
Personally would like to see the Arctic Cooling fans tested in PWM flavour because of the integrated daisy-chaining (1 PWM signal drives multiple fans), which should be tested too for any electrical irregularities.

AC claims low RPM and low noise for the fans, and apparently they have fluid-dynamic bearings, so on paper they sound good. $100 is way steep though - I'd rather just buy one and put it in my case, as they are some of the cheapest fans available (under 10 bux).

If we got a roundup going, I wouldn't mind pitching in $30 towards a couple AC fans (regular+pro). This Enermax fan should definitely be in too because of its unique blades. Innovations should be investigated!

BillyBuerger
Patron of SPCR

Post by BillyBuerger » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:50 pm

Das_Saunamies wrote:Personally would like to see the Arctic Cooling fans tested in PWM flavour because of the integrated daisy-chaining (1 PWM signal drives multiple fans), which should be tested too for any electrical irregularities.

I have a handful of their older ones myself in 80, 92 and 120mm sizes. They are nice from the PWM standpoint and are overall decent. But they were too clicky for my home PC which is very quiet. I'm using them in my work PC where it's a bit noisier to begin with and they're great there. In my quiet basement, I could hear the clicking fans no matter how slow they were spinning. I'm now using an Enermax UC-12EB and a Scythe fan that I think came with my Muegen. Both have no clicking whatsoever and are beautifully quiet. Maybe ACs newer ones are better but the specs are pretty much the same. So I would expect similar results.

Rekonn
Friend of SPCR

Post by Rekonn » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:06 pm

BillyBuerger, the Enermax UC-12B (per Newegg) is 1000RPM, 44CFM, 17dBA. Check out the Enermax TB Silence series, the UCTB12 has it beat (at least on paper) with 900RPM, 42CFM, but for only 11dBA. I'd like to see this one reviewed too, especially since the specs look too good to be true.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:57 pm

BillyBuerger wrote:
Das_Saunamies wrote:Personally would like to see the Arctic Cooling fans tested in PWM flavour because of the integrated daisy-chaining (1 PWM signal drives multiple fans), which should be tested too for any electrical irregularities.

I have a handful of their older ones myself in 80, 92 and 120mm sizes. They are nice from the PWM standpoint and are overall decent. But they were too clicky for my home PC which is very quiet. I'm using them in my work PC where it's a bit noisier to begin with and they're great there. In my quiet basement, I could hear the clicking fans no matter how slow they were spinning. I'm now using an Enermax UC-12EB and a Scythe fan that I think came with my Muegen. Both have no clicking whatsoever and are beautifully quiet. Maybe ACs newer ones are better but the specs are pretty much the same. So I would expect similar results.
Thanks for letting me/us know!

I suspected as much at that price point, though the Noiseblocker 92mm and 120mm fans I used in years past were cheap AND quiet. But they were analog fans, and I'm not so sure my 'taste' was as refined as it is today.

Guess I'm sticking to my S-FLEX battery then.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:39 am

adjusted the "donation list" --

fan: $50
heatsink: $120
hard drive: $120
motherboard: $200
case: $200
power supply: $200
complete computer: $200

note -- fans will only be reviewed in a roundup. The price tag has been reduced in response to popular consensus, but in reality, a fan is about as time consuming and complex for us to review as a motherboard... even though I can usually sum up the essence of a fan after about five minutes. Our validation process is painstaking...

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:47 am

MikeC wrote:Our validation process is painstaking...
And that is why we love SPCR. 8)

Rekonn
Friend of SPCR

Post by Rekonn » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:12 pm

MikeC wrote:adjusted the "donation list" --

note -- fans will only be reviewed in a roundup. The price tag has been reduced in response to popular consensus, but in reality, a fan is about as time consuming and complex for us to review as a motherboard... even though I can usually sum up the essence of a fan after about five minutes. Our validation process is painstaking...
How many fans equal a roundup? If 10 fans equal a roundup, does that mean $500 needs to be raised before there's an article?

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:24 pm

doll wrote:Despite all our focus on SSDs and performance storage, you can’t beat a nice big hard disk drive on which store your collection of recorded TV, MP3s and demotivationals (NSFW). In fact, while we love to get excited about the benefits of the latest tech (and SSDs do carry many), we realise that there are still advantages for the humble hard disk.
WTFspam?

bozar

Post by bozar » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:52 am

Rekonn wrote:
MikeC wrote:adjusted the "donation list" --

How many fans equal a roundup? If 10 fans equal a roundup, does that mean $500 needs to be raised before there's an article?
We still would like to know this, 500 is a lot harder to reach by amounts I can afford to donate.