Zalman not giving up on the "flower" heatsinks

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Darth Santa Fe

Zalman not giving up on the "flower" heatsinks

Post by Darth Santa Fe » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:50 pm

I don't know if anyone else has run across this, but Zalman's made what appears to be a major update to the CNPS9900 cooler. It's called the CNPS9900 MAX: http://www.zalman.com/ENG/product/Produ ... sp?idx=416

I figured the name "MAX" would mean a higher speed fan, but it's just the opposite. It now has a larger 1,700RPM (1,500RPM with adapter) 135mm fan to replace the original 2,000RPM 120mm fan, and the blades look like they have a better design for low speed pressure and less noise. I also noticed that waste of a plastic shroud has been eliminated and replaced with permanent metal rings, which should help with durability. They also claim to now have heatpipes with supposedly 50% better performance than what they had before.

The use of a larger fan goes along with a suggestion in the SPCR review for the original: "We're glad to see the CNPS9900 improve so much with a simple modification, but we believe a few more tweaks could make it an even better cooler. Without the shroud, it is a possible to use a bigger and therefore more efficient fan, preferably one that sounds smoother than Zalman typically uses. We also recommend narrowing the gap between the fan and the two sides of the heatsink. This can be done by making the fins larger, bending the heatpipes so they're closer together, or by simply utilizing a thicker fan." It doesn't appear that they've done much or anything with the gap, but I wonder if this new revision will stand up well against the current top quiet coolers?

Parappaman

Re: Zalman not giving up on the "flower" heatsinks

Post by Parappaman » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:57 am

It surely looks like ti could deliver! Only things that worry me are the usual Zalman quirks: price and fan quality. It also looks like it's a bit too fast to be considered silent (900 RPM on a 140mm fan is a LOT).

Darth Santa Fe

Post by Darth Santa Fe » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:38 pm

True, 900RPM is a lot for the typical 140mm fan, but the lack of a box or shroud should practically eliminate the majority of turbulence noise (aside from what goes through the fins). After experimenting with an 80mm Enermax fan, I found that it was practically silent at full speed (1,500RPM) without the box frame. It was quite a bit louder with the frame because of the turbulence created. The results with other size fans has been the same, so a frameless 140mm fan at 900RPM may be no more noisy than a 140mm box frame fan at 600RPM or so. Just a theory. :D

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:11 am

Clear fans are brittle and generally have a harshness to the tone, regardless of the speed.

Zalman's fans have always been a little buzzy to begin with.

Either way, you're better off with a Scythe Mugen or something similar. You'll pay less, get better cooling, and have the option of replacing the fan if you don't like the one included. You can also reposition the fan to suit your case or add additional fans for push-pull or whatever you need.

Modo

Post by Modo » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:55 am

Darth Santa Fe wrote:True, 900RPM is a lot for the typical 140mm fan, but the lack of a box or shroud should practically eliminate the majority of turbulence noise (aside from what goes through the fins).
This will also allow a lot of air to move around the fins instead of between them, wasting airflow. That and the shiny plastic fan might be a problem. I don't think the people at Thermalright need to be worried just yet.

Post by 1337 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:34 am

If I want value... I take CoolerMaster. Zalmans are not on the cheap side, nor the quality side.

Noctua 140MM @ 900 RPM is quite audible but at least I like the way it sounds! It's like a good car engine, you hear it but it sounds nice. This is something no textual review can express, nor dB show.

michaelius

Post by michaelius » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:19 am

1337 wrote:If I want value... I take CoolerMaster. Zalmans are not on the cheap side, nor the quality side.
I had orginal Al-cu 7000 and now CNPS-10X quiet both had very good quality and price worth the performance you were getting (especially if you factor in STG-2 bundled to every CNPS).

And unlike Scythe they don't use shitty little plastic pins for mounting on s.775 but proper metal brackets and screws.

Just IMHO but 10X has much better quality than Scythe Ninja/Mugen and much better price than Noctua or Thermalright with not so big drop in cooling efficiency.

Post by 1337 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:36 pm

michaelius wrote:
1337 wrote:If I want value... I take CoolerMaster. Zalmans are not on the cheap side, nor the quality side.
I had orginal Al-cu 7000 and now CNPS-10X quiet both had very good quality and price worth the performance you were getting (especially if you factor in STG-2 bundled to every CNPS)..
I have used Zalman in the past, both CPU and VGA coolers. They were good at the time. Now, I have not tested their latest "towers" but from what I have seen, they are not without some shortcomings. In my opinion, CoolerMaster 212 Plus is a better buy for less $ and it's AM3 friendly. In fact, I used CM in my last build because if I remember correctly... it was some $25 cheaper than Zalman which was also on the cards. If I could get a couple of Zalmans for a good price, I would not hesitate. I would only trust it an Intel build though. Okay, I have just checked the pricing again... and Zalmans are still expensive. To the point that if I have to, I'd rather pay more and get Noctua instead.

Zalman's bells and whistles like fan controllers / LEDs only diminish the overall product quality in my opinion. That was maybe cool/new a decade ago. That extra effort / craftsmanship could better be put elsewhere. Moreover, their website is hard to read, to the point that, I don't even want to engage in a conversation with one of their representatives. You see, I don't expect any support from Cooler Master because it's darn cheap and that's fine. I can easily replace the stock fan with something that I like and be within my budget. Or I can just buy a Nexus case that comes with 2 very good 12CM fans and save even more money.

In case of a problem though, I'd rather deal with Noctua. I have had problems and it has been a great service so far. All my e-mails have been dealt with in a timely and professional manner. I have dealt with people from Asia and maybe it's different mentality or something else but the experience hasn't been as good/smooth as with the Europeans. I don't have to re-ask questions a dozen times, for instance. So that's why I think, it's worth the money, in my super humble opinion, of course.
michaelius wrote: And unlike Scythe they don't use shitty little plastic pins for mounting on s.775 but proper metal brackets and screws.
Well, Schythe has not been on my cards yet. I like their fans very much, but unfortunately not the coolers. Mounting is crucial for every cooler, I do agree.
michaelius wrote: Just IMHO but 10X has much better quality than Scythe Ninja/Mugen and much better price than Noctua or Thermalright with not so big drop in cooling efficiency.
For every box there is a cooler. It's also personal preference, service and the price. If you get these things right, then you're content. Being content is very important in this business. Whatever works best for you ;)

michaelius

Post by michaelius » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:04 pm

Pricing situation might be diffrent in diffrent countries:

NH-14 or Silver Arrow is 300 PLN

CNPS-10X is in 190-220 range for Quiet/extreme

So i guess it makes it happy middle ground for me.

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:29 pm

michaelius wrote: I had orginal Al-cu 7000 and now CNPS-10X quiet both had very good quality and price worth the performance you were getting (especially if you factor in STG-2 bundled to every CNPS).

And unlike Scythe they don't use shitty little plastic pins for mounting on s.775 but proper metal brackets and screws.

Just IMHO but 10X has much better quality than Scythe Ninja/Mugen and much better price than Noctua or Thermalright with not so big drop in cooling efficiency.
Mugen and Ninja3 both use bolts, not push-pins. Trust me, I own loads of both brands and Scythe HSFs are better than any Zalman, if quiet computing is your goal. Zalman was good back in the day when the only competition was Coolermaster and ThermalFake, but the competition has grown and gotten better, Zalman really hasn't.

I still use my old CNPS7000's when I don't have any better options, but I fan-modded both of them long ago.

Post by 1337 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:48 pm

I've accidentally made a crash test. A cheap system case fell off my table on to the floor (about 100cm high), landing on one of its sides with a CM 212 Plus firmly attached to the motherboard. Amazingly, but there has been no damage. Just done testing it all over again.

I am sure, a combination of weight and mounting system played a vital role there. Piece of mind is nice.

michaelius,

Let's check newegg prices, shall we?

ZALMAN CNPS10X QUIET 120mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler $68.99
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus $29.99
Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler $89.99

D14 comes with two high-quality fans (MTBF > 150.000 h), the heatsink is some 150g heavier... includes reliable mounting and 6 years warranty. If there is something better than NH-D14, I know for a fact, it is not Zalman. And thus, that 30% price premium is fully justified, in my opinion.

And if you are on a budget... there is always that $29.99 cooler, I know for a fact, no Zalman/Noctua will ever beat this one in terms of value and basically, common sense.

P.S. I do hope that people like you will help Zalman to finance a so-much needed site overhaul, it is such a pain to navigate. Zzzzzzzzzz.... wake up?

jhhoffma,

I agree with most of what you have written.

pingu666
Friend of SPCR

Post by pingu666 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:27 pm

my experience with zalman is the copper heatsinks, or the flower/ \|/ style ones the qualtity of just the heatsink was beautiful, the fit and finish etc. pretty much perfect. i guess thats still the same?

the fans where so so/poor i guess

extruded aluminium parts where mediocure

Darth Santa Fe

Post by Darth Santa Fe » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:23 pm

I just made a quick run by Zalman's news on their website for their participation at CeBIT 2011. Looks like they've got a new "flower" heatsink, which they've called the CNPS12X. It is an absolute monster!! I can't tell clearly from the picture, but it looks like it has 3 140mm fans surrounded by 2 massive heatsinks, each with 6 heatpipes going through it! I wonder if it'll even fit in a normal case? And I wonder if they'll get a clue and put in really quiet fans?

I can't link directly to the part of their website showing it, but there's a direct link on the front page. http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/main.asp