Micro SATA, what a stupid idea

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Micro SATA, what a stupid idea

Post by andyb » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:51 am

Anyone who know anything about SATA will know that its an internal drive standard that covers all types of internal storage with a single data connector, and a single power connector, from 1.8 inch drives to 5.25 inch drives, SSD's, HDD's, ODD's, Tape Drives and others.

Wrong.

There is also μSATA (micro SATA) which uses the same 7-pin data connector, but a different power connector, specifically 3.3v only. What is the point of this.? It is 2/3 of the size of the standard SATA power connector, with the standard size data connector, so by my estimation you save about 5mm off of the overall width of the connector.

I discovered this whilst attempting to grab a load of data from a laptop that has had a nasty bounce, and its HDD would have probably died, but luckily it has a Samsung 128GB 1.8" SSD inside it, i have taken the laptop apart to get at the drive, and discovered I cant even attach the drive to my PC without buying an adaptor cable.

Again I ask what is the point, there is enough space on the drive to have the standard connector, there is no issue with power as the SATA power standard has 3.3v, 5v and 12v (unless adapted from a Molex connector at which point the 3.3v is missing).

Whoever came up with this sub-Standard of SATA deserves to be kicked in the nuts for wasting my time, not to mention loads of other people and their money with a pointless connector type that has no benefit at all.

Andy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by andyb on Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:38 am, edited 3 times in total.

CA_Steve

Re: Micro SATA, what a stupid idea

Post by CA_Steve » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:39 am

mike.spcr

Post by mike.spcr » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:42 am

andyb wrote:PS: If someone wants to suggest a free picture hosting site I will link to pictures of the drive and its connector.
Andy, Don't you see the file upload option in the posting dialog screen? SPCR will host pics up to 256kb now. Like this one, which I just uploaded.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dhanson865

Post by dhanson865 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:01 am

andyb +1 on microSATA being stupid

mike.spcr thanks for letting me know about the file upload on new messages.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:40 am

Added a pic, waiting for another one to come through my e-mail, you can see the size difference vs a standard power connector, I will post that when it turns up.

I like being able to post pics straight from my PC into the SPCR webserver, so much easier than sodding around with places like imageshack.

Andy

Eunos
Friend of SPCR

Post by Eunos » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:25 pm

Apparently there can be micro data and power plugs, none of which seems to serve any worthwhile purpose.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sata#Slimline_connector

I recall a lot of people buying X18-Ms for PCs ran into the same issue and were similarly miffed. Normally the industry is pretty good like that, but obviously not this time.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:24 am

/second

Gramkow

Post by Gramkow » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:13 am

Will gladly take part in the kicking... would be a nice way to pass the time while waiting for a Micro-SATA adapter for my new WHS build.. :evil:

/ Gramkow

Mr Evil

Post by Mr Evil » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:13 am

It could be worse; it could be like eSATA which has no power connector at all!