Lian-li pc-b10 OR Antec p193?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

scarletxfi

Lian-li pc-b10 OR Antec p193?

Post by scarletxfi » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:41 pm

My gaming rig broke down (motherboard died) so I'm looking for a replacement.
Already decided on internal components the only thing i've got left is to decide a case.

I'm not interested in fancy (ie windows or led's). I want quiet and thermally efficient.
I've heard that aluminium cases are better as they act as a heatsink.
Both cases seem to be good, but I don't know which one to get

some info:
case is going to be on a carpet, underneath a desk. Fairly open area (under the desk)

Motherboard: Asus p6X58D-E
PSU: Seasonic x-650
CPU cooler: Thermalight VenomousX
VGA: nvidia 8400gs low factor (till i get some more money to upgrade)

max budget for case: 300$ AUD
(shops are: http://www.scorptec.com.au/, http://pccasegear.com/ )

Lian-Li pc-b10:
pros: beautiful, tool-less , aluminium case
cons: more expensive then p193, no filters, smaller then p193, one fan

Antec p193:
pros: removable filters, cheaper and bigger then b10, individual compartments, 3 antec fans with individual speed control
cons: (heavy?), huge (and ugly) 200mm fan on the left,

Please help me choose...
Cheers!

quest_for_silence

Re: Lian-li pc-b10 OR Antec p193?

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:30 pm

scarletxfi wrote:Antec p193:
pros: removable filters, cheaper and bigger then b10, individual compartments, 3 antec fans with individual speed control
cons: (heavy?), huge (and ugly) 200mm fan on the left,

Please help me choose

I don't know that Lian Li, but personally I will avoid the P193 at any rate (and more probably that not in the last revision of the case your VenomousX won't fit): if I should need something really huge (and so, ugly), I'll go for a Silverstone Raven (or maybe the upcoming TJ-11, if price would be decent).

scarletxfi

Post by scarletxfi » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:59 am

I see .. thanks for the replay.

the B10 is 210mm wide according to website: http://www.lian-li.com/v2/en/product/pr ... =62&g=spec

VenomX is 160mm high: http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_page/ ... ous-x.html

perdaniel

Post by perdaniel » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:27 am

I have a Lian-Li ( PC 7B SCAND V.3, here is a review (in norwegian): http://www.hardware.no/artikler/aatte_k ... er/44234/2), and would not recommend it to those wanting a quiet computer. The fans may be quiet, but the case is made out of very thin and flimsy aluminium, and every vibration (from hdd, cpu fan, gfx fan, etc.) makes the case vibrate. The hdd cage would vibrate so much from my seagate 7200.11 (even with the rubber mounts) that I had to put to old hdds in the cage to stop it vibrating. The left side cover on my case was not fitting tightly so it used to rattle when the case vibrated. I have put insulation on the inside of the covers and top of the case, but I still find it to noisy. I am planning to build a new case out of MDF to house my main computer, which I use for some gaming, and relegate the Lian-Li to housing a light duty file server.

If you really like the look of the Lian-Li (and it does look good, except for the fake plastic "carbon fibre" on the top and bottom of the front), and won't need a powerful graphics card or a fast hdd, and you are going to replace the stock cpu heatsink, you can make a quiet computer with the Lian-Li, but it would be easier to start with a heavy steel case.

After reading the description of the PC-10, it may seem that it is a higher quality than my PC-7 (which is among the cheapest cases Lian-Li makes), but I'm not sure how much difference (if any) that will make to the sound level.

fumino

Post by fumino » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:11 am

neither.

that left panel on the p193 is hideous, and having a 30~mm fan mounted on the side panel really cuts into heatsink compatibility, even the p183 fits your needs better in that regard.

since youre only using an atx motherboard, but still looking for plenty of space for your hardware... i'd take a look at a couple of silverstone's offerings, namely the FT-01 and FT-02. both cases fit your needs i think, but the ft-02 is a much more handsome case, and also an editors choice here at spcr... i'd say take a gander at the review here and hit buy over here if you like what you see... its priced right between the two cases you were looking at. :D

Tephras

Post by Tephras » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:22 pm

scarletxfi wrote: I've heard that aluminium cases are better as they act as a heatsink.
"The Aluminum Myth - Some favor aluminum cases, citing an ability to better cool components mounted within. This is a myth. No heat producing component benefit in any significant way from being inside an aluminum case — unless the components have some kind of direct conduction path to the case panels, a feature usually found only in a few cases meant to be fanlessly cooled. The only heat producing devices that are normally mounted in direct contact with a case are the drives, particularly the hard drives; the difference between aluminum and steel in this application is insignificant."

scarletxfi wrote: Lian-Li pc-b10:
pros: beautiful, tool-less , aluminium case
cons: more expensive then p193, no filters, smaller then p193, one fan
The case has three fans, 2 intake and 1 exhaust. If you want something bigger have a look at the PC-A71F, it's pretty much a full tower version of the PC-B10, but maybe it won't fit within your budget.

scarletxfi

Post by scarletxfi » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:58 pm

I see...

Thanks for the informative answers!

I guess both the p193 and the B10 aren't my best choices, then.
I like the fact that the B10 is plain and simple from the outside but inside it's built very nicely.
On the other hand, I like the fact that the p193 is so big and the compartment idea.

I'm not sure how ideal the silverstone is for me as I don't have a massive GPU and it'll take a while before I get one.

Could anyone please recommend a case then in my budget? ( I like and prefer the plainness of the Lian-Li from the outside), Please keep in mind that the case has to be wider then 180mm as the VenomX is 160mm.(and of course, It has to be fairly silent and thermally good)

I think the Antec p183 looks like a nice fit - Any comments on it?

(or should I start a new thread?)

Tephras

Post by Tephras » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:37 pm

Here's two cases made by Fractal Design that might be of interest to you: Define R3 and Define XL. The latter are compartmentalized and both are plain looking.

scarletxfi

Post by scarletxfi » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:44 pm

oooohhh... I like the XL but it's 235 compared to 155 for P183 :)

Thanks though...

themaster1

Post by themaster1 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:07 am

I've made a topic about the pc-b10 i own a while ago.

The front panel makes a difference regarding noise, i have the pc in my couch running daily.If i leave the front panel open my ears catch the hum.

Regarding the properties of aluminum i believe the "better dissipation" is a myth also. The advantages of aluminum are amagnetic and lightness and beauty indeed.Can be scratched easily though

I like this case but i found the price was a bit over the top if you ask me. The fans are totally decent if you use lna/ulna cable. The tool-less system is practical enough.

If you buy it i suggest you put another layer of foam on all panels (including the front)

scarletxfi

Post by scarletxfi » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:15 pm

Thanks for the info Themaster1 !

I'll probably end up getting the Antec P183, it's cheaper then the B10 and it gets pretty good reviews ..
I'll replace the fans (if they are too noisy) with a couple of Noctua NF-P12s, and it has three layers of insulation (so I don't think I'd have to buy anymore..)

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:33 am

scarletxfi wrote:a couple of Noctua NF-P12s

Choose a better replacement.

judge56988
Friend of SPCR

Post by judge56988 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:40 pm

perdaniel wrote:I have a Lian-Li ( PC 7B SCAND V.3, here is a review (in norwegian): http://www.hardware.no/artikler/aatte_k ... er/44234/2), and would not recommend it to those wanting a quiet computer. The fans may be quiet, but the case is made out of very thin and flimsy aluminium, and every vibration (from hdd, cpu fan, gfx fan, etc.) makes the case vibrate.
I have a very similar case - the PC7 Plus. It does not vibrate at all. The two hard drives are suspended with thin bungee. The psu is mounted using 4 small pieces of neoprene to stop any vibration there and the case sits on 4 soft acoustifeet on a desk.
The fans are quiet; I mounted them with Acousti gaskets and the cooling is good. It is a cheap case but it is (IMHO) a classic timeless design and is more than adequate for my purposes (daughters PC in bedroom). I don't have any loose or rattling panels so maybe perdaniel had a lemon.
I also added an extra intake fan using the Lian Li part that fits into 3 of the drive bays to cool the suspended hard drives, and the top fan mounting hole is blocked. Both intake fans run at 5v. The CPU fan and exhaust are controlled by Speedfan.
I would recommend it, provided that you are willing to spend a few quid and spend a bit of time on it.