Living room *quiet* htpc system - SG05 or ISK 300?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

meastp

Living room *quiet* htpc system - SG05 or ISK 300?

Post by meastp » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:46 am

Hi,

I've decided to build a HTPC/XBMC-box (Linux-based) :
  • Asus AT3IONT-I (Deluxe version)
  • An SSD
  • A paired set of 2 or 4 GB RAM
  • (Perhaps) a slim DVD drive
What's important here is the case: I can't decide between Silverstone Sugo SG05/SG06 or Antec ISK 300-150/-65, though.

Since the AT3IONT-I Deluxe already has its own power supply, I will remove that (no matter which case I end up with). I've read about other builds with the Asus AT3IONT-I, and although it can't run fanless, I'm guessing a single fan at low speed will be sufficient.

Which case will be the most quiet in my living room *if I replace the fan with a decent/better one*: the SG05/06 with its 120mm, or the Antec with its 80mm?

In either case, what fan should I choose?

meastp

Re: Living room *quiet* htpc - SG05 or ISK 300 (or GD05)?

Post by meastp » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:03 am

Perhaps the Silverstone Grandia GD05 is even better, and, perhaps more quiet since the fans are placed differently from the SG05?

washu

Re: Living room *quiet* htpc system - SG05 or ISK 300?

Post by washu » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:23 am

The only one I have used is the Grandia GD05 and I am very happy with it. I'm running an e7200 @ 3.1 GHz with a big shuriken and a SSD for the OS. The two included right side fans at 7V, left one off. It's dead silent unless I put my ear up to it or use the DVD drive. With your setup you could get away with only running the rear right fan or possibly none at all. It should be very quiet.

RoGuE

Post by RoGuE » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:07 am

GD05 hands down. It's considerably bigger than the antec, but if the extra size doesnt bother you, it's undoubtedly MUCH easier to cool, and thus, it's quieter. I believe the GD05 is an editor's choice case..unlike the Antec.

HFat

Post by HFat » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:41 am

meastp wrote:although it can't run fanless, I'm guessing a single fan at low speed will be sufficient.
source?

I'm guessing the same but I'm not so sure it couldn't run fanless in a that large case if the power supply was removed. I don't have this case but would anything prevent hot air from rising from the board, heating the top of the case (a nice, big radiator) and ultimately escaping through the many holes at the top of the case?

RoGuE

Post by RoGuE » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:39 am

HFat wrote:
meastp wrote:although it can't run fanless, I'm guessing a single fan at low speed will be sufficient.
source?

I'm guessing the same but I'm not so sure it couldn't run fanless in a that large case if the power supply was removed. I don't have this case but would anything prevent hot air from rising from the board, heating the top of the case (a nice, big radiator) and ultimately escaping through the many holes at the top of the case?
Natural convection is dramatically worse than forced air convection from even a slow fan. And yeah, there are many holes at the top of the case, but there's also enough sheet metal to limit natural air movement though the case. A good, slow fan will deliver insanely better cooling, and stay well below the ambient sound at 3AM in the room it's kept in. What's the point in having a 0db system in a room that never drops below 16-20 dB? Unless he has an anechoic chamber I should know about..

HFat

Post by HFat » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:58 am

Agreed. But I don't think it's impossible to run an old Ion fanless. You'd certainly get high temps with the stock heatsink however.
If you have a cheap board in a small case, fanless has a point besides the noise (cost, footprint, simplicity). But in this case?

porkchop

Post by porkchop » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:14 pm

i say the antec because it's smaller, i don't like empty space and the silverstone will end up with lots.

cooling an ion quietly in either case will be easy, and two good low rpm 80mms in the antec can be just as quiet as one 120mm in the silverstone.
i'd also rather have a leftover pico-like psu than the sfx from the silverstone, but that's just me.

nexus and scythe make fans in both sizes that are recommended here, they're probably the easiest and most reliable choice.

edit:
just checked out the mb, the stock heatsink lines up nicely with the 80mms on the antec... :wink: