Lian Li V1010B - Reducing air resonance/turbulence

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

murko-sk

Lian Li V1010B - Reducing air resonance/turbulence

Post by murko-sk » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:07 am

Hello folks,
I was lurking around SPCR for many years, and finally decided to post here :). So, as the title says - I`m quite noise/hum sensitive and made everything to make my rig quiet as possible, but the next problem is this - the air turbulence/resonance - no matter if the HDDs are powered ( they are very quiet already and soft mounted ), when the case is opened the air resonance/turbulence fade away in room, but when the case is closed then the air resonance/turbulence occurs - it is not too much, but I can surely notice it - also if I turn off all the fans the air res/turb. is gone. I already dampened the inner top of case and both side panels with http://www.pcsilent.de/en-pd-be-quiet!- ... s-310.html and it noticeably helped dampen remaining vibrations and air res/turb, but not all of them. So - the question is this - is there any method/something to eliminate the remaining air res/turb ? Will some "conical" shaped foam help, like these ? :

PS: This is my rig: Image
All Getle Typhoon are spinning ~750 RPM, also the two Noctua S12's are replaced with one GT on the bottom position now ( I dont have camera atm to make actual photo )

NeilBlanchard

Re: Lian Li V1010B - Reducing air resonance/turbulence

Post by NeilBlanchard » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:56 pm

Are the two interior fans (the Noctua's in the photo) really necessary? Having lots of fans all rotating at similar RPM's can set up beat frequencies, and since they are in the open, the air is not so much moved as churned around. The fans that are blowing into or out of the case, or directly onto a hot heatsink may be required; but the air flow through the case may not be helped at all by the interior fans.

murko-sk

Post by murko-sk » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:12 pm

NeilBlanchard wrote:Are the two interior fans (the Noctua's in the photo) really necessary? Having lots of fans all rotating at similar RPM's can set up beat frequencies, and since they are in the open, the air is not so much moved as churned around. The fans that are blowing into or out of the case, or directly onto a hot heatsink may be required; but the air flow through the case may not be helped at all by the interior fans.
Hello,
thanks for input Neil, as I wrote - the two Noctua S12's are replaced with one GT on the bottom position, the top one didn`t make very difference to temps and also making most of turbulence(that`s why it`s out now), the bottom one is real opposite - it make great difference to gpu temps - thats why it stays, and it`s inaudible in terms of turbulence. Also the amount of fans are real minimum for my system (q6600, hd5850, 4xhdd).

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Post by frenchie » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:52 pm

Welcome to SPCR !!

What kind of hardware do you have in there ?

murko-sk

Post by murko-sk » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:21 pm

frenchie wrote:Welcome to SPCR !!

What kind of hardware do you have in there ?
Hi,
there it is:

Item / Cooling

Lian Li V1010B / GT AP15 outtake, GT AP14 center bottom (not shown on that old photo)
Gigabyte P35-DS4 v2.1
Intel Q6600 G0 @ 3.2GHz / Noctua U12P & GT AP15
Corsair 8GB DDR2 DHX2 XMS
Gigabyte R585OC (slightly oc HD5850) / Prolimatech MK-13 & GT AP15
2x WD6400AAKS, 2x WD10EADS / HDD Vibration Killer on each, Lian Li BZ-502 & GT AP15
Seasonic X-560
SB X-Fi Titanium (currently in RMA)
Scythe Kaze Server (currently sleeved cables with temp sensors, not shown on that old photo)
Samsung generic DVD burner

speedkar9

Post by speedkar9 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:34 am

Your fan speed may be too fast.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=51595&

murko-sk

Post by murko-sk » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:58 am

speedkar9 wrote:Your fan speed may be too fast.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=51595&
Hello, I tried to lower the RPM to value that the air turbulence/resonance are mostly suppressed, it`s about 570-600rpm, but also the airflow is absolutely weak, still better than nothing. I tried Noctua's S12&P12, Enermax UCTB12s, AC F12PROs, and also those GTs, and as far the air res/turb go, the GTs are best, but also worst in airflow @ low RPM. So far, I really don`t like all of them cause the sound signature they have(except the GT), but i quess I`ll try some Noiseblocker MF12 S2 (because they allegedly produce more airflow at very low RPM and for no `side-effects`), or is there some other long lasting fan that moves decent air at very low RPM and causing minimal to none undesired `side-effects` ? ( SlipStreams/Nexus Real Basic are out, cause the sleeve bearings).