A silent gaming PC

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Aneon

A silent gaming PC

Post by Aneon » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:58 am

Hi,

First, I'd like to say thank you for dedicating this site to silent computers. I think sound level is a very underrated element considering how many hours we spend in front of our computers each day.

I'm planning to buy a new computer, and I seek both good gaming performance and silence. Silence at low workloads at least, such as surfing, writing or listening to music.

After spending many days reading about silent solutions and checking local webstores for available parts, I came up with the following build:
  • Case: Antec Nine Hundred Two V3 (based on this review)
  • PSU: Corsair AX 850W 80+ GOLD (based on this review)
  • Motherboard: ASRock P67 Pro3
  • CPU: Intel i5 2500K
  • CPU cooler: Thermalright MUX-120 (based on this comparison)
  • GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD 6870 1GB
  • GPU cooler: Arctic Cooling Accelero XTREME Plus (based on this comparison, Shaman unfortunately not available in nearby stores)
  • Other: Cheap 6 GB memory, DVD, SSD and an extra HDD for storage
Do you think this would result in a near-silent PC at low workloads?

If some components could be replaced by cheaper or more efficient parts, or if you think something crucial is missing (such as extra third-party fans), feel free to tell me.

I feel I'd rather be safe than sorry, so I'm willing to pay a bit more if it means "guaranteed silence" compared to "probably silent". I'm also trying to find a store that will install all the components for me to minimize risk, as I lack the practical experience.

Thanks again for all the valuable info on this site!

quest_for_silence

Re: A silent gaming PC

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:26 am

Aneon wrote:
  • Case: Antec Nine Hundred Two V3 (based on this review)
  • PSU: Corsair AX 850W 80+ GOLD (based on this review)
  • Motherboard: ASRock P67 Pro3
  • CPU cooler: Thermalright MUX-120 (based on this comparison)

Case: you have to swap all its fan (or disconnect them, but maybe not the BigBoy): Antec TriCools are just horrible for silencers, at any speed. IME.
PSU: the Seasonic X-560 is more than enough for a Radeon HD6870 (or even two HD6870), and a couple of dB more quiet than the Corsair at load. Free bonus: you should spare a bunch of money.
Motherboard: Nothing to say, but I'd rather a tier-1 vendor, ASUS to be preferred (IMO), and however one with at least three controllable fan headers (if it's possible).
CPU cooler: IMO it's just the wrong Thermalright. It's better to go for the TRUE 120 Rev. C or the HR-02 (with a fan of choice). With the TRUE you should need also this additional mounting kit. Another good option is the Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B, far cheaper than any TR but nonetheless it's all good, while if you'd like to cool a bit even the motherboard the Noctua NH-C14 is one among the safest choices. The best bang for the buck is the Mugen 2, and I would go for it, maybe with two fans for an amazing cooling proficiency.

As already said, you may need at least two fans: being vertical, a couple of Nexus Basic or Scythe Slipstream 1200rpm should be fine. Add another one either if you go for any of the above mentioned TR (for the HR-02 a 140mm TR, while one or two Nexus Basic or an equivalent Scythe - even PWM - for the Ultra 120 Extreme Rev. C), or if you'd rather to have a push-pull on the Mugen (another Slipstream 120 PWM). In case you would go for two fans for the CPU (TR or Scythe), I guess you should have a good PWM splitter as the Akasa one (I can't recall if the Noctua already sports one).

Last but not least, if you choose a mobo with not enough controllable fan headers, you have to go with an external fan controller: with only two 120mm, a Scythe Kaze Server 3.5" would suffice, I guess.

Aneon

Post by Aneon » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:11 am

Thanks a lot for your answer! Really appreciate it. Helps me realize how much I have to learn.

Based on your answer and after reading through http://www.silentpcreview.com/Silent_Mid_Gaming_PC yet again, I came up with the following modifications:
  • Case: Antec Nine Hundred Two - Remove front fans, keep "Big Boy" top fan, change rear fan into a Nexus Basic Series 120mm
  • PSU: Corsair AX 750W PSU or CoolerMaster Silent Pro M700 (cheaper) - Seasonic is not available in my nearby stores
  • Motherboard: Asus P8P67 PRO - For better fan control
  • CPU: Intel i5 2500K
  • CPU cooler: Noctua NH-D14 - I might've chosen the Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B or a Thermalright if they'd been available, but I'm still okay with the price. Unfortunately they don't seem to deliver them pre-installed...
  • GPU: ASUS Radeon HD 6850 1GB GDDR5 "DirectCU" with stock cooling - For lower price, warranty and easier installation. Supposedly very quiet (see review)
Although SPCR recommends ASUS Radeon 6850 "DirectCU", I've read many reviews that don't consider it quieter than your average stock graphic card. How should I interpret this? Is it because other reviewers are measuring noise level the wrong way, or lack sufficient cooling in the rest of their systems?

Also, do you think the PSU CoolerMaster Silent Pro M700 will be quiet enough? Or is the Corsair AX 750W notably quieter? Unfortunately, my local stores don't have any of the Seasonic models.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:11 am

Aneon wrote:Although SPCR recommends ASUS Radeon 6850 "DirectCU", I've read many reviews that don't consider it quieter than your average stock graphic card. How should I interpret this? Is it because other reviewers are measuring noise level the wrong way, or lack sufficient cooling in the rest of their systems?

It's often very difficult to compare different reviews: just as a very personal opinion, TechPowerUp! is one of my favourite sites and to me it's a trustful reviewer with reference to performance and power consumption, but I almost always disregard their noise measurement as their noise baseline is too much high, and their equipment - meant for environmental monitoring and analisys and with a noise floor of about 19-20dB - seems not well suited for measures under a 25-30dB level (even if that B&K SLM is very, very expensive), which is by chance similar to the old SPCR SLM (the new ACO mic is well under 10dB of noise floor): you may also give a read to SPCR documents and talks about their anechoic chamber.
Apart of SPCR, the only web reviewers that currently I personally trust (so, again, it's just my humble opinion) for noise are two german ones: Au-Ja! and moreover HT4u.

With reference to the Direct-CU: I'm not a fan of the ASUS cooling solution, and maybe the TechPowerUp! remark is due to the fact it's actually a bit louder than reference design at idle. However, it seems to me a pretty decent stock cooling solution, and a well above average card.

Another 6850 very well regarded among SPCR forumers is the Sapphire one (even the standard version, not just the vapour-chambered Toxic), and due to some talks about it now personally I tend to prefer this latter over the other 6850s in the wild.

About cooling, usually silencer-oriented rigs tend towards higher temperatures, so less cooling power due to less airflow.
However I don't think it's just a matter of cooling, those differences in sound measure: the subject is more complex, I mean.
Aneon wrote:Also, do you think the PSU CoolerMaster Silent Pro M700 will be quiet enough? Or is the Corsair AX 750W notably quieter? Unfortunately, my local stores don't have any of the Seasonic models.

Well, the Silent Pro is highly regarded up to mid-low power levels (at least 200-220W, the ones you should face with your proposed setup) so I think it's quiet enough. The smaller M700 should be as well as the M850 and you may spare even more (and gain some more relative efficiency).

The Corsair is just better for noise, particularly at mid-high loads, and for its efficiency and electric performances, and all come for about 30-35% more money.
In a widely open case like the proposed Antec it might be clearly preferred, but I'm sure the CM won't make at all any poor impression (its quality is high)!

Last but not least: if you go for Noctua for your cooler, check if the shops have the C14 instead of the D14, as the former is more flexible and it should be also noticeably quieter and maybe more effective than the latter. About the installation, personally I'm not worried about, Noctuas are very well regarded for installation ease.

Aneon

Post by Aneon » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:28 am

Thanks again, Luca, it's great to hear your reflections on the topic. I think I'll stay with the Corsair AX 750W PSU just to be safe.

I've found yet another shop that seems to have most of what I want (Scythe Mugen 2, for example!), so I've made some additional adjustments:
  • Case: Antec Nine Hundred Two V3
  • Case fan: Change the back fan into a Scythe 120mm Slip Stream Fan, 1200rpm. Turn off all other case fans. (I figured I don't need the "BigBoy" as SPCR don't use it in their gaming PC build)
  • PSU: Corsair AX 750W 80+ GOLD
  • Motherboard: Asus P8P67 PRO
  • CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K 3,3GHz
  • CPU cooler: Scythe Mugen 2 rev B
  • GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 460 SOC 1GB (see this thread)
  • Memory: Corsair 8GB (2x4096MB) 1600MHz VENGEANCE
  • SSD: Corsair SSD Force Series 120GB
  • HDD: 1.5TB Western Digital Caviar Green, SATA II
  • DVD: Samsung SH-B123L Blu-Ray reader & DVD-burner
This should give me a total of 5 fans, quite similar to SPCR's build:
1) CPU fan: Scythe Mugen 2 rev B
2) PSU fan: Corsair stock
3) Case fan: Scythe 120mm Slip Stream Fan, 1200rpm
4 and 5) GPU fans: The two stock fans on the Gigabyte GeForce GTX 460 SOC 1GB

Unless you see some compatibility issues, my only real concerns are:
* Does the motherboard have sufficient fan controls?
* Is the GPU really as quiet as they state here?

For the GPU, I'll take a look at the sites you recommended. They might have additional reviews.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:24 pm

Aneon wrote:
  • SSD: Corsair SSD Force Series 120GB

This Corsair is an excellent performer, maybe the best, but personally I would rather an equivalent OCZ Vertex 2, as it has a better rating on Newegg for reliability.
Aneon wrote:* Does the motherboard have sufficient fan controls?

You have just two fans: the videocard and the PSU have their own fan controllers.
For the motherboard, however, I don't know: check the manual on the ASUS site.
Aneon wrote:* Is the GPU really as quiet as they state here?

I don't know, but broadly speaking I have some doubts as the GTX-460s are somewhat noisy at idle (I myself swapped a 460 for a SLI of 450 and got a noticeable improvement with reference to noise): at first sight the HD6850 seemed maybe a more balanced solution.

Aneon

Post by Aneon » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:21 pm

quest_for_silence wrote:This Corsair is an excellent performer, maybe the best, but personally I would rather an equivalent OCZ Vertex 2, as it has a better rating on Newegg for reliability.
Thanks, I'll check that out.
quest_for_silence wrote:You have just two fans: the videocard and the PSU have their own fan controllers.
For the motherboard, however, I don't know: check the manual on the ASUS site.
It seems like the ASUS P8P67 motherboards have 4 fan connectors:
1 x CPU Fan connector (4-pin)
2 x Chassis Fan connectors (1 x 4-pin; 1 x 3-pin)
1 x Power Fan connectors (3-pin)
Source

So that should be enough.

I'm glad you recommended ASUS, because their motherboards seem to have an outstanding fan control solution:
“Of all the manufacturers' boards we've tested, ASUS has the best fan control setup we've seen to date.”
http://www.pureoverclock.com/review.php?id=1179&page=9
quest_for_silence wrote:I don't know, but broadly speaking I have some doubts as the GTX-460s are somewhat noisy at idle (I myself swapped a 460 for a SLI of 450 and got a noticeable improvement with reference to noise): at first sight the HD6850 seemed maybe a more balanced solution.
From what I've read, the Gigabyte GTX 460 SOC has a custom cooling solution with 2 rather large Windforce fans, completely different from the stock 460 coolers. But I agree that the ASUS 6850 would probably be a safer bet, considering it's been recommended by SPCR.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:25 am

Aneon wrote:From what I've read, the Gigabyte GTX 460 SOC has a custom cooling solution with 2 rather large Windforce fans, completely different from the stock 460 coolers. But I agree that the ASUS 6850 would probably be a safer bet, considering it's been recommended by SPCR.

Well, the WindForce is the WindForce: I mean it's the very same cooler used on the std. OC version (and by chance you may have the very same cooler even on the HD6850 made by Gigabyte), so I guess it should be reasonably quiet, but not really much better than any other good not reference cooler (as the Cyclone of MSI). Eventually the SOC may only worse the noise with reference to the std OC, and not improve it, as it's hotter.

The main issue (for our purposes) with all the GTX 460s is not the cooler efficiency (even if the card itself is rather inefficient compared to the current AMDs), but that their fans are hard set to a minimum of 40% speed (30% on the EVGAs), and that they cannot start reliably under the minimum threshold: therefore they cannot be on par with the quietest Radeons, even if you may dare to mod the bios.

According to me, if you just game with the card (no folding, no CUDA), then the lowest cost 6850 available, maybe paired with an AC or Gelid aftermarket cooler, is the best option for a silencer: but if you are fallen in love with that 460, I mean you might order one, try it out, and if you aren't satisfied send it back for a convenient Radeon (I think even in Sweden you may do so within 7 days, don't you?).