Acoustically Isolated Case Design

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Rasterman

Acoustically Isolated Case Design

Post by Rasterman » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:09 am

I am building a new Sandy system and was thinking of building my own case, but before doing so was wondering if anything existed like what I have in mind, or if anyone has comments on my design.

Features:
Acoustically isolated, sound must bounce off a minimum of 5-6 surfaces to escape.
Thermally isolated PSU, CPU, & GPU
Minimum fans, 1 CPU, 1 PSU & MB, 1 GPU
Actively cooled VREG and Chipset
Cold air intakes for all components except PSU, and it only intakes motherboard heat (no CPU or GPU heat).
Zero air pressure, in and out ports are matched.
Minimal size, a few inches larger than an ATX motherboard.
Requires no modification of any parts (no special video card HSF, etc)

Notes:
The CPU and GPU are isolated.
The PSU draws air from 3 and 4, a port from 3 is routed to over the VREG, and from 4 a port to the chipset.

Target System:
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz
ASUS P8P67 PRO LGA 1155
XFX HD-695A-CNFC Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE 7.1
Seasonic SS-560KM Active PFC F3
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3
Crucial Real SSD 256GB

Questions:
1) Do you think installing a 120mm fan at A will keep the GPU fan from spinning up during load?

NOTE: The end views (AIR IN, AIR OUT) are sections taken at the seal points, indicated by arrows in the side view.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Re: Acoustically Isolated Case Design

Post by frenchie » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:00 am

The idea is not bad, but... you're going to need a fan with a lot of pressure to get all that air flowing out of your baffles !
If you use undervolted fans from the recommended list (Nexus, Scythe...) you'll find that they're so quiet at low speed that you don't need all that baffeling

themaster1

Post by themaster1 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:23 am

Rasterman

Post by Rasterman » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:41 am

Thank you for the info L) I decided to go with the Lian Li A05 and if that is too loud I will build some baffles around it kind of like what you have done. I was thinking of building the baffles as more an extension of the case rather than an entire box around it, since that would defeat the point of having a small case. I do prefer quiet over small though :)