Which "quiet" case for 9 HDD home server?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Strid

Which "quiet" case for 9 HDD home server?

Post by Strid » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:02 am

Hi,

I have a home server, which I use for two purposes; as compute node for nummerical calculations and as NAS.

So I have a 6x500GB RAID0 array (for scratch disks) and 2x2TB RAID1 (for NAS) and also an old WD Raptor150 as system drive. Cooling is supplied by a couple of Nexus 120mm fans and a Scythe Mugen CPU cooler. It's currently an Intel µATX motherboard with a Core i5-760 CPU and 16GB RAM running headless (without graphics) Ubuntu 10.04, for reference.

However, the current case is an old, noisy ThermalTake Soprano case, not at all ideal for a 9 HDD setup.

Anyone has a suggestion for a quiet case for the above setup? I know that it's never going to be ultra quiet with nine drives, but at least let me have a go at it! :)

Thanks,
Anders

Taxcheat

Re: Which "quiet" case for 9 HDD home server?

Post by Taxcheat » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:23 pm

I'm doing a 5-drive NAS build and went with the Nexus Prominent 5. After looking at dozens of options, this struck me as a perfect fit for my needs. I'll post observations when it arrives Monday.

Maybe the Edge case is worth a look for your setup, or possibly the Prominent 9 (same case as the 5, but with a different configuration):
http://www.nexustek.nl/NXS-silentcases.htm

Dr. Jim Pomatter

NZXT Whisper !

Post by Dr. Jim Pomatter » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:14 pm

Strid wrote:So I have a 6x500GB RAID0 array (for scratch disks) and 2x2TB RAID1 (for NAS) and also an old WD Raptor150 as system drive. Cooling is supplied by a couple of Nexus 120mm fans and a Scythe Mugen CPU cooler. It's currently an Intel µATX motherboard with a Core i5-760 CPU and 16GB RAM running headless (without graphics) Ubuntu 10.04, for reference. [...]
Anyone has a suggestion for a quiet case for the above setup? I know that it's never going to be ultra quiet with nine drives, but at least let me have a go at it! :)

I have been using the NZXT Whisper with up to 10 hard drives. Nine (yes, 9) of the drives fit into the trays with vibration isolating dampeners. The last drive is a 1.8" Crucial SSD that is just taped to the lower divider of the case. (The trays work for 2.5" and 3.5" drives.)

I disconnected and then taped over the rear 80mm fans. I disconnected the 140mm front fan (it was quiet, but not under-30db quiet). My Corsair VX450 power supply 120mm fan moves enough air for my 9 "green" drives.

The NZXT Whisper also has foam-lined sides, top, and bottom. No need to spend $45, and get your fingers all sticky. This case comes with a rubber power supply grommet (another $8 you don't need to spend). It ALSO has a door to make the front air-path less direct.

A quick video review:
http://www.3dgameman.com/reviews/1011/n ... ilent-case

Lots of pics in this review:
http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/?q=node/371

Put your loudest drives in the middle trays of the foam-lined lower chamber. You will be happy with this case. They have it at Newegg. Price has been $120 for more then a year, but they did have free shipping once.

speedkar9

Post by speedkar9 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:49 pm

Suspend them all:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=60142&

Dr. Jim Pomatter

Post by Dr. Jim Pomatter » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:27 am

Drive suspension systems always make me nervous. I worry that the drives could work their way out of the straps over time. Desktop hard drives would not survive a 7" fall to the floor of the case while reading/writing. I also expect that a falling drive might also damage a drive below it, leading to RAID array failure.

I still think that the NZXT Whisper is the way to go. It has thick steel, nine rubber-isolated hard drive mounts, noise-absorbing foam, and other quieting features.

I just found that Amazon has the case for $20 less then Newegg, and has free shipping!

mrmachine

Post by mrmachine » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:35 am

Taxcheat wrote:I'm doing a 5-drive NAS build and went with the Nexus Prominent 5. After looking at dozens of options, this struck me as a perfect fit for my needs. I'll post observations when it arrives Monday.

Maybe the Edge case is worth a look for your setup, or possibly the Prominent 9 (same case as the 5, but with a different configuration):
http://www.nexustek.nl/NXS-silentcases.htm
Please do let us know your impressions of the Prominent 5. I'm considering a Prominent 9 myself, but would like to hear a few more first hand impressions before I pull the trigger.

Also, I've heard conflicting reports about the case taking 140mm or 120mm (or both) size fans on the back and bottom of the case. Could you confirm that top, back and bottom can all take 140mm fans?

stingy

Post by stingy » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:45 pm

I also need to upgrade my P180 to something bigger.

Have you guys considered the Lian Li PC A-71F or the X2000F? but looks like the Nexus Prominent 9 or the EDGE are better alternatives.