Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

robnas

[Question] Power usage Asrock H67M (GE) (GE/HT) & i5 2500K

Post by robnas » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:04 pm

I'm thinking about buying a new system.
I have quite the list of wishes:
Low power idle
Floppy connector (Preferred)
Posibility to control PC with remote (MCE)
A little bit fast
Outstanding HTPC possibilities

I will play 1080p movies on the system, surf on internet and it will be powered 24/7 as NAS. I'm thinking about 30 watt standby (or less).

My choice would be the Asrock H67M GE/HT with Intel i5 2500K.
It has all the possibilities, but I'm not sure about the power consumption.
Could anyone tell me how high it probably will be?

About the floppy: yes, there are some scarce moments... I'm really sorry about that.
Last edited by robnas on Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

quest_for_silence

Re: [Question] Power usage Asrock H67M (GE) (GE/HT) & i5 250

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:27 pm

robnas wrote:It has all the possibilities, but I'm not sure about the power consumption.

As QuickSync is still in its (immature) infancy, I would go for any discrete modern graphics card.
Moreover a 2500K on any H67 is actually a waste of money (and features).

robnas

Post by robnas » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:33 am

quest_for_silence wrote:
robnas wrote:It has all the possibilities, but I'm not sure about the power consumption.

As QuickSync is still in its (immature) infancy, I would go for any discrete modern graphics card.
Moreover a 2500K on any H67 is actually a waste of money (and features).
Why do I want to use quicksync, or a discrete modern graphics card?
I want to use the system as HTPC/NAS.
And what about the waste of features? The 2500K is (where I live, the Netherlands) the cheapest socket 1155 solution with internal graphics.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:20 pm

robnas wrote:Why do I want to use quicksync, or a discrete modern graphics card?
I want to use the system as HTPC/NAS.
And what about the waste of features? The 2500K is (where I live, the Netherlands) the cheapest socket 1155 solution with internal graphics.
I think you might (should) give a read to some serious test/technical analisys of Sandy Bridge, like the Anandtech's one.
I think there are too many things you completely ignore (while if you don't ignore those things, your questions are merely meaningless, and I should take offense because of them).

Briefly:
  • every socket 1155 CPU has internal graphic (IGP).
  • It is not the CPU but the chipset which let you use the IGP: P67 doesn't allow, while H67 and Z68 instead allow the IGP using.
  • The 2500K is the most expensive Intel Core i5 CPU currently available, as it has an unlocked multiplier.
  • This unlocked multiplier does not work on H67 chipset: it only works on P67 and Z68 motherboard.
  • The most meaningful way to use a 2500K is with a Z68 chipset, or alternatively with a P67: so if you choose a H67 to save some money, with a 2500K you waste some money.
  • The Z68 chipset hasn't been released yet.
  • There are currently available four quad core CPUs which are less expensive than the Core i5 2500K: the 2300, the 2400, the 2400S, the 2500.
  • QuickSync is one of the most advanced feature of 1155 IGP but currently it has no support: it is one of the few real technical reason to use the new 1155 IGP instead of a discrete low end graphic card, and currently it's useless.
  • The 1155 IGP is flawed by the so called "24fps issue": see the relevant Anandtech's review about this relatively serious issue which plagues watching some videos on a 1155 IGP.
  • A modern low end discrete graphic card usually does not suffer that "24fps" issue, and it is usually a bit more performing: so a P67 with a 2500K and a discrete card is somehow a more meaningful combo than an H67 paired with the same 2500K.
  • A system with a modern low-end graphic card won't be less quiet than a system with a 1155 IGP and the power consumption increase, with a careful pick, should be really negligible: but actually such a system will cost 40-80 euros more than a 1155 IGP.
Good luck.

robnas

Post by robnas » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:43 am

I've changed the SP, because I think the use of my new system isn't quite clear.
I don't want to overclock, maybe underclock for powersaving.
the combination h67 and i5 2500K gives the possibility of playing full-HD 3d in the future.
internal graphics are sufficient, with the combination I have possibilities concerning audio over HDMI.

P67 is out of the question:
about 2, 3 times idle power consumption and no HDMI onboard, so I must choose an extra graphics card, making the idle consumption even higher.

every watt I use 24/7 costs $2,50 per year. So 30 watt idle costs about $75 per year. Would I choose for P67, it will be $150 to $200 per year.
That's the downside of the NAS-function, but it has advantages, especially with managing and possibilities.

So, how many watts will the ASrock H67M GE/HT use?

tim851

Post by tim851 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:19 am

I have not seen any power usage comparison between H67 and P67 boards. Where did get the information that it's 2-3 times higher?

I do agree on the H67-boards being a good choice, above all they're also a good bit cheaper. But I don't see the value of the 'K'-processor. It does have a better IGP (HD3000) than the non-K processors (HD2000), but the difference is in my opinion academic and somewhat useless. Even the HD3000 won't be able to output any modern video game in Full HD at more than single digit framerates. If you think about gaming, I don't see how you'll be able to get around a dedicated graphics card. And if so, you can save the money on the K.

robnas

Post by robnas » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:49 am

tim851 wrote:I have not seen any power usage comparison between H67 and P67 boards. Where did get the information that it's 2-3 times higher?

I do agree on the H67-boards being a good choice, above all they're also a good bit cheaper. But I don't see the value of the 'K'-processor. It does have a better IGP (HD3000) than the non-K processors (HD2000), but the difference is in my opinion academic and somewhat useless. Even the HD3000 won't be able to output any modern video game in Full HD at more than single digit framerates. If you think about gaming, I don't see how you'll be able to get around a dedicated graphics card. And if so, you can save the money on the K.
Have you been familiar with the frontpage of SPCR?
H67 vs P67 idle power consumption.
Well, I was wrong, the difference isn't as much as triplefold, but twice the amount of power used idle is somewhere in the right direction.
To give the result of the costs per year: $75 vs $120. (16 watt DC ~25 watt AC, 30 watt dc ~40 watt AC).
So except the different in price of motherboard and graphic-card, I spare about $70 per year (graphic card-usage included) by choosing H67.

And I didn't mention gaming, I mentioned a HTPC and NAS. That are systems which aren't meant for gaming, right? Or did I miss something?
I do see now the i5 2500K is overkill. I didn't knew that the cheaper CPU's had internal graphics, so I better choose the i5 2400.
That saves me about 70 dollar. Chosing an i3 processor could spare me some more, but I have two cores less, maybe that wouldn't be a wise choice in the future.
Thanks for all advise. It's helping, you see...

extremen

Post by extremen » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:47 pm

Citate: "The P67 chipset seems to use more power than H67 as well. Compared to the DH67BL, the DP67BG used approximately 5W more when idle and playing video, though the tables turned on load with the P67 board posting a 3W advantage." I see different 5 w idle, 3w load.

And what take with H67 mb+i5-2300. Guess power is enough too.

I have the same problem to choice a best platform for me. I thinking about H67+i2300. But hate the limit for overclock in future. ( just little bit overclock with H67).

H67 is limited:
1. turbo oc didn't worked with the cpu , only turbo
2. maximal overclock only about +500 mhz

I need low power system with ability overclock at future.
Solution is Z68 chipset, but will be expensive and i guess more power hungry than H67,P67.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:52 pm

robnas wrote:I mentioned a HTPC

I'm under the bad impression that your english seem to have somehow a bit disappointing or haughty taste: but as I also don't speak english so well, that should be definitely one of my fault. :wink:

At anyway:
Here’s the sitch, most movie content is stored at 23.976 fps but incorrectly referred to as 24p or 24 fps. That sub-30 fps frame rate is what makes movies look like, well, movies and not soap operas (this is also why interpolated 120Hz modes on TVs make movies look cheesey since they smooth out the 24 fps film effect). A smaller portion of content is actually mastered at 24.000 fps and is also referred to as 24p.

In order to smoothly playback either of these formats you need a player and a display device capable of supporting the frame rate. Many high-end TVs and projectors support this just fine, however on the playback side Intel only supports the less popular of the two: 24.000Hz.

This isn’t intentional, but rather a propagation of an oversight that started back with Clarkdale. Despite having great power consumption and feature characteristics, Clarkdale had one glaring issue that home theater enthusiasts discovered: despite having a 23Hz setting in the driver, Intel’s GPU would never output anything other than 24Hz to a display.

What happens when you try to play 23.976 fps content on a display that refreshes itself 24.000 times per second? You get a repeated frame approximately every 40 seconds to synchronize the source frame rate with the display frame rate. That repeated frame appears to your eyes as judder in motion, particularly evident in scenes involving a panning camera.

How big of an issue this is depends on the user. Some can just ignore the judder, others will attempt to smooth it out by setting their display to 60Hz, while others will be driven absolutely insane by it.

If you fall into the latter category, your only option for resolution is to buy a discrete graphics card. Currently AMD’s Radeon HD 5000 and 6000 series GPUs correctly output a 23.976Hz refresh rate if requested. These GPUs also support bitstreaming Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA, while the 6000 series supports HDMI 1.4a and stereoscopic 3D. The same is true for NVIDIA’s GeForce GT 430, which happens to be a pretty decent discrete HTPC card.

Intel has committed to addressing the problem in the next major platform revision, which unfortunately seems to be Ivy Bridge in 2012. There is a short-term solution for HTPC users absolutely set on Sandy Bridge. Intel has a software workaround that enables 23.97Hz output. There’s still a frame rate mismatch at 23.97Hz, but it would be significantly reduced compared to the current 24.000Hz-only situation

However you should have very high electricity rates, up there in the Netherlands: just for comparison purposes, here in Italy 15W more for a 24 hours use give me an actual cost of no more than 2.52 euros/month or 30 euros/year (down to 15 euros/year with the most favourable rates).

robnas

Post by robnas » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:33 am

extremen wrote:Citate: "The P67 chipset seems to use more power than H67 as well. Compared to the DH67BL, the DP67BG used approximately 5W more when idle and playing video, though the tables turned on load with the P67 board posting a 3W advantage." I see different 5 w idle, 3w load.
The graph gives the answer of the quote: they are comparing the H67 and P67 board both with a graphics card.
Again: I DON'T want a extra graphics card. I DON'T want to use it, DON'T have to use it (because of sufficient internal graphics) and why should I spent €30 ~ $40 to make idle consumption approximately 8 watts higher, so spending an extra €16 ~ $20 dollar per year extra. WHY?
Nobody buys a roof-case for his car which they don't use, do they? (hint: no) So I won't buy a graphic card I won't use.

I hope I made myself clear. NO GRAPHIC CARD.
I mentioned a HTPC
I missed an "n", does that make my english bad?
The electricity prices you name are the same as mine. But: I'm realistic and calculating with the AC-consumption (the power you pay for). The watts mentioned at SPCR are DC-consumption.
In that way they compare the mobo/cpu/components itself, not depending on the efficiency of the PSU.

I'm calculating with €0,20 kW/hr, 1 watt 24/7 costs about €2 / year.

In dollars, that's about $2,50. €2 is somewhat more than $2,50, but: the €2 is somewhat higher than it is in reality, so the $2,50 is levelling that problem.
Why I use €2 and not (for example) €1,83? It calculates easier and a pc 24/7 on won't use the idle consumption 24/7.

The 23,976 framerate problem could be an issue. I've read that Geforce 8200/8300 doesn't have that problem (and that's what I use now). Most of the full-HD movies I watch are stored on harddrive, I will read more, before making a decision.

extremen

Post by extremen » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:43 am

That makes things simple.
Then is your only choice H67 with int GPU on cpu. ( P67 not support int. Gpu)

:wink:

ntavlas

Post by ntavlas » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:21 am

Are you going to do any decoding on the htpc/server? If not, a dual core would save you some money and would still be fast enough for quite a long time.

Concerning the motherboard: the previous generation Intel dh55 ended up the most power efficient board in it`s class (at idle at least) and the mini itx version was even more frugal. So a simple, mini itx h67 board made by Intel might be your best bet if you`re after low idle power use. I don`t know if such thing exists yet, but it should be a matter of time until it appears on the market.

You`re probably thinking of using a pico psu right? since the pico psu doesn`t regulate the 12 volt line it`s particularly important that you get a decent power adapter. A good quality power brick is also more likely to be efficient, saving you a few more watts.
In this review an fsp model apparently performs much better than a couple of edac units.

robnas

Post by robnas » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:36 am

ntavlas wrote:Are you going to do any decoding on the htpc/server? If not, a dual core would save you some money and would still be fast enough for quite a long time.

Concerning the motherboard: the previous generation Intel dh55 ended up the most power efficient board in it`s class (at idle at least) and the mini itx version was even more frugal. So a simple, mini itx h67 board made by Intel might be your best bet if you`re after low idle power use. I don`t know if such thing exists yet, but it should be a matter of time until it appears on the market.

You`re probably thinking of using a pico psu right? since the pico psu doesn`t regulate the 12 volt line it`s particularly important that you get a decent power adapter. A good quality power brick is also more likely to be efficient, saving you a few more watts.
In this review an fsp model apparently performs much better than a couple of edac units.
About the DH55: it doesn't do (native) 3D (hdmi 1.4).
I have a pico-psu, but I've spent more than on my Nexus Value 430, it's not as efficiënt.
I could spent a lot more and make it more efficiënt, saving some watts. But I think the balance is in favor of the Nexus value 430 for the next couple of years.

So: still H67 with a core i5 processor. What about the energy consumption of the ASrock H67M GE/HT?

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:00 am

robnas wrote:
I mentioned a HTPC

I think it's more than a bit OT affair as well a bit difficult to express in a second language but, as you don't understand, I will try myself to explain better.

No, an "n" doesn't, but maybe some general attitude might do, if in case.

Here in Italy we have a saying: "Asking something is legitimate, answering to such a question is a politeness affair".
Cause you are voluntarily here to ask for information, we may assume that anyone has answered to you, he has done so in a polite way and to do you a courtesy/favour.
Instead, in my humble opinion, some of your replies (to several your interlocutors, including me) seem to sound a bit curt and abrupt, and broadly speaking often that happens when someone already has a somehow firm belief, and doesn't actually want to hear other people's advices, particularly if those advices might somewhat challenge that belief submitting some further problematical details (even if, as I already said, maybe it's a bad impression due to my not well manage of the english language).

The harshness of some of your phrases leads me to say not that your english is bad as a whole, but just that your english seem to have an unjustified haughty taste.
Eventually I think we might give a rest to this question, if you mind. :wink:
Let's turn back to your topic, however.
robnas wrote:The electricity prices you name are the same as mine. But: I'm realistic and calculating with the AC-consumption (the power you pay for). The watts mentioned at SPCR are DC-consumption.

I stand corrected: then I may add about a 20% more, from 18 to 36 euros/year more, or 25 to 50 USD/year more. To me is a negligible increase with reference to relevant increased reliability, performance and flexibility, according to you clearly it is not so as it is at anyway a power usage increase (and it seems you want to minimize it above all), thence we can live both long and prosper, each of us with his own relevant opinion.
robnas wrote:The 23,976 framerate problem could be an issue. I've read that Geforce 8200/8300 doesn't have that problem (and that's what I use now). Most of the full-HD movies I watch are stored on harddrive, I will read more, before making a decision.

As Anandtech said, it just might be an issue, and on a very personal basis (maybe the only serious issue is that there isn't any alternative to Intel chipset if you want an IGP). Summarizing, if you can stand a repeated frame every 40 seconds, you're far more than fine with those 24fps H67.

While, with reference to the actual subject, that particular ASRock board, we can say two things.
First of all that, even if AFAIK there isn't any serious review about it (I mean with reliable data about power consumption), it is (should be) definitely an ASUS: therefore I think you may argue some reasonable guesswork from ASUS power consumption figures (even on SPCR).
Then that, contrary to what I claimed, as officially stated this particular ASRock actually should do multiplier overclock: so you could pair with a 2500K with its more powerful HD3000 IGP, if you mind (while the most efficient Core i5 remains currently the already mentioned 2400), and letting aside the above mentioned 24fps issue.

robnas

Post by robnas » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:17 am

quest_for_silence wrote:
robnas wrote:
I mentioned a HTPC

I think it's more than a bit OT affair as well a bit difficult to express in a second language but, as you don't understand, I will try myself to explain better.

No, an "n" doesn't, but maybe some general attitude might do, if in case.

Here in Italy we have a saying: "Asking something is legitimate, answering to such a question is a politeness affair".
Cause you are voluntarily here to ask for information, we may assume that anyone has answered to you, he has done so in a polite way and to do you a courtesy/favour.
Funny thing is, I asked for power consumption, and the next thing is I'm answering others people questions. Or better: "defend" my choice while I didn't get an answer.

I thank you for having started arguing about the choices I mad, it's clear to me I have chosen the wrong processor. But the problem you mention is always present between a topicstarter and poster. How many times did I mentioned a poster to read the startpost, because the answer is there?
It's the same in this topic: I mentioned using the system as a HTPC/NAS, I get questions about gaming. At that moment we have a conversation problem, very annoying.

So I do like to get an answer on my question, but no I don't want to defend myself or have questions asked that doesn't have to be asked...

Can anyone please tell me what the power consumption of the ASrock H67M motherboard (or any deriviant of it) is, with a random processor or the i5 2400?
Thanks in advance...

robnas

Post by robnas » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:45 am

I have found how many watts the Asrock H67M GE/HT approximately uses, so this topic may be closed.

tim851

Post by tim851 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:31 am

If all you wanted was to find out the power consumption of the ASRock mainboard, why not limit your original posting to those three lines?

As it stands, it reads like you want to discuss your "wishlist". That's how you got tagged with a debate you never wanted.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:54 am

robnas wrote:so this topic may be closed.

On SPCR threads don't belong to OPs, therefore they are never closed.
Eventually thanks for sharing.

LazyBoy

Post by LazyBoy » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:18 pm

robnas wrote:I have found how many watts the Asrock H67M GE/HT approximately uses, so this topic may be closed.
Care to share?

robnas

Post by robnas » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:10 am

up until the motherboard died on me last night, during idle (login prompt on ubunutu 11.04) it was consuming 38-39 watts according to my killawatt meter and I have a i7-2600K, 2x4GB of DDR3-1333C9, a single hard drive, and a 80 Plus Gold power supply.
And later: he uses an 400 watt seasonic fanless.

So that's a bit power-hungry to me...